Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avionics shop refuses to activate ADS-B out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 5:43pm
He probably disabled it by disabling the RS232 input in the AXP340 on the maintenance pages. That is a pretty easy fix. We can probably walk you through it, but be aware that your wings may fall off. 

I don't believe that there is a setting to disable the output in the 540, as long as the wire is connected, the data will go. You have very easy access to all the maintenance setup screens in the 540, they are in the group of pages you see when doing a database update.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Jan 2015 at 6:44pm
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:24pm
Hi Tony,

From what I understand the wire is connected and functions, but he has disabled the feature in the 540 maintenance menu. Maybe finding out how to activate it from maintenance menu if cannot persuade him to activate.

Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Well I would try this argument....
The TSO'd transponder was installed on a 337 first.  Then after that installation, the IFD540 was installed with an STC per the FAA approved installation manual.  In that manual on page 177, it clearly shows an RS 232 wire going to your transponder.  If he doesn't follow the installation manual then he is violating the STC.

Worth a try.  If he wont hook it up, now will he do it later at no charge? 

Sometimes hanger fairies connect wires......
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:19pm
Well I would try this argument....
The TSO'd transponder was installed on a 337 first.  Then after that installation, the IFD540 was installed with an STC per the FAA approved installation manual.  In that manual on page 177, it clearly shows an RS 232 wire going to your transponder.  If he doesn't follow the installation manual then he is violating the STC.

Worth a try.  If he wont hook it up, now will he do it later at no charge? 

Sometimes hanger fairies connect wires......
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:59pm
Thanks everyone. Will share this with my installer to try and gently persuade him to change his mind.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:15pm
Remind your installer that there are certainly hundreds, probably thousands, of folks flying around with portable (read: not certified) ADSB-out devices in their aircraft, and the FAA knows all about them (since they're actively broadcasting their identity to ATC).  I'm talking about things like the SkyguardTWX, SkyvisionXtreme, etc.

I have a SkyguardTWX with (uncertified) ADSB-out, and have participated in the FAA's offer to "check the compliance of your ADSB-out solution".  Here's the first reply I got from them:

Originally posted by 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov wrote:

Requested report attached.  Per FAA policy, portable transceivers should be configured to transmit a System Integrity Level (SIL) = 0 (ref. page 4 of report) to prevent data transmitted by uncertified ADS-B avionics (including GPS) from being processed by ATC and other ADS-B In equipped aircraft.  Please contact Skyguard for information to configure your transceiver to transmit a SIL of zero.

I don't know if current AXP340s are broadcasting SIL=0 to reflect their uncertified status, but even if they aren't, that's not breaking any law or violating any reg that's going to get anyone in trouble.

Edited by MysticCobra - 21 Jan 2015 at 3:15pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:34pm
The STC is still in progress (probably still a month away) but....

Until proven otherwise, the Avidyne position is that everything can be installed and configured now.   You will be recognized as a valid ADS-B participant by the network now.  There is no restriction that prevents you from donating your aircraft data to the ADS-B network right now.  There is no mandate to be a particpant until midnight on 31 Dec 2019.  At that point, if the FAA were to audit you, you would need to produce FAA approved documentation showing compliance.

So we believe the installer concerns are excessively conservative.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Gary T Gary T wrote:

My installer activated ADS-B for me, but they were concerned about lack of STC available.

My ADS-B checked fine with the FAA compliance as well.

Me too.

David Gates
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 12:31pm
My installer activated ADS-B for me, but they were concerned about lack of STC available.

My ADS-B checked fine with the FAA compliance as well.
Gary-T
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 12:03pm
They are misunderstanding the nature of that STC. That may take some arm twisting, or some head banging.

I am activated, and check out fine at the faa.gov email.

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:56am
I was just told the same thing when I go tomorrow for my APX-340 install. I need to produce paperwork to show FAA is okay with this.

Steve, do you have anything from the FAA on this topic?
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:33am
Installed a IFD-540, AXP-340 and 240. My Avionics installer will not activate the ADS-B out of my AXP-340 because of STC. He feels until the STC for the ADS-B out is approved he cannot legally activate it. He has disabled the GPS position feed from the 540 to the 340. Tried to make the argument 
that I paid for this feature and a safety of flight issue, but he will not budge. Did any of you that have the ADS-B out have any problems with installer. Any suggestions on how to get the ADS-B functioning.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic