Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are my choices for ADS-B in?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molokaisteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are my choices for ADS-B in?
    Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 12:07pm

Just installed the IFD540 in a Skylane replacing a Garmin 530.  Overall, love it.  Planning to install a AXP340 transponder next week for my ADS-B out solution.  What are my choices currently for displaying ADS-B in data (both weather and more importantly traffic) on the IFD540?  I understand the MLB100 is "scheduled" to be available sometime this quarter and if I understand correctly, it will be my "in" solution.  What are my other choices?  Is the Ranger FDL-978-RX, transmit "in" data to the IFD540 with no problems?  We will most likely prewire for the MLB100 but want to make a good informed decision. 

Sure would like to have one box that will provide "in" data to the IFD540 and wireless or Bluetooth to my IPad running Foreflight.  I would rather not purchase a Stratus 2 and have to charge it or have wires running up the panel and possibly other wires to a remote antenna, etc.

Steve
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 3:07pm
The MLB-100 is guaranteed to put traffic and weather on the 540 screen.

At about the same time, firmware update 10.1 will come out, which will liven up the BT & WiFi connections on the 540. I expect that you will see a number of tablet apps able to take advantage of the ADS-B data at that point.

* Orest

molokaisteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molokaisteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 5:46pm

Orest,

Thank you for responding.  Oh, that would be more than good.  We will wire up for the MLB100 during our AXP340 transponder install. 

Steve
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 7:56am
I believe that If you have a TAS6##A fitted (when released), then this will also act as an ADSB In.

Victor
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Victor Victor wrote:

I believe that If you have a TAS6##A fitted (when released), then this will also act as an ADSB In.

Victor

It will, but only for ADS-B TIS-B combined with actively sensed traffic. No weather on 1090.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 3:16pm
Orest is correct on all counts here.    I don't have anything else to add from an Avidyne standpoint other than to say I wouldn't count on the Freeflight Ranger box being compatible, at least for a while.  There are enough subtle differences in the data stream that could gum up the works.   At least initially, the only box we'll be able to vouch total IFD540 compatibility with will be the MLB100.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:03am
Is the MLB100 available now?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Joe Jet Joe Jet wrote:

Is the MLB100 available now?

Not yet, it is expected release co-incident with the IFD540 10.1 firmware update in March/April, which it needs to run.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 Jan 2015 at 9:46am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 9:50am
Correct.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
bbennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:53am
Once the certification is received for the AXP340 and MLB100 working with a 430W, will this setup enable me to get ADS-B displayed on the EX5000C? I see firmware updates for the 540 in the spring. Anything planned for the 5000? Thanks.

Brady
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:38am
Yes, but.....

We are working on a release for the EX500/600/5000  ("Release 8.2") that supports ADS-B weather and traffic and therefore the MLB100.   It will come out in 2015 but I'm not sure when in 2015.   Most of the development work is done but the certification work is competing for resources.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
bbennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 7:19am
Thanks. 
bbennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 6:53am
AviJake, just to clarify, I was told in another forum that the MLB100, AXP340, once released, will only work with the 540/440 and not the Garmin 430W. I currently have 430W's and I'm hoping an upgrade will not be "required" to work with this equipment. Could you please verify that they will be compatible with the 430W? Thanks.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:14am

Not quite.

First the AXP340......communication between the navigator and the AXP340 transponder is in the form of the navigator sending position information to the AXP340 which is used in the AXP340 generation and transmission of ADS-B out data.  I use the term "navigator" intentionally because it can be any number of sources.   We are within a week or two of having FAA approval of the ADS-B STC for the AXP340 and that STC will permit the IFD540, Avidyne R9, Garmin GNS430W and Garmin GNS530W to be allowable position sources.  So, the short answer to your AXP340 question is that yes, it will work just fine with the GNS-430W.

Now the MLB100......that box is an ADS-B In receiver in that it's catching the ADS-B weather and traffic data stream and sending that to a display for viewing.   MLB100 data will display on the IFD540 and IFD440 as of Release 10.1.0.0 due out this spring.   We will be publishing for public consumption the protocols used so that makers of other displays can grab and display that output if they so choose.  Naturally we can't control what other vendors (in this case, Garmin) will do.    I'd like to think they will allow for MLB100 output to be displayed on the 430W but based on past behavior, I am not optimistic.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic