Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squawk 4374

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squawk 4374
    Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 5:30pm
Wasn't sure which section to put this in, but here it is ...

Although kind of cool to see another aircraft's transponder code on the IFD540 screen (from the TAS605), if there were a number of such targets on the screen, it would block a lot of other detail ...

Is there a way to limit, or turn off, the squawk codes on IFD540 screen?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:44am
No there isn't currently a means to do that but I'll add a new entry in the candidate feature database that covers it.   I can see it as potentially a new entry to the map filter page for example.  If we did that, you could select the map range (presumably a very close in range for your preference) at which the traffic tail number data would be displayed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

...   I can see it as potentially a new entry to the map filter page for example.

Yes, that would be perfect.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Jan 2015 at 12:12pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 3:59pm
As a second observation, I haven't noticed an issue with the traffic information on the map page.  I like to know the N number as it helps understand who ATC is talking to.  The squawk code isn't nearly as useful.  I will say, that I have been able to identify and track down an aircraft that departed into me as I was landing by using the N number displayed on the 540 as I executed a go around.  Nice to have.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 9:21pm
Well, maybe it won't be an issue, but nice to have the setting.

I have yet to see a tail number shown, and the squawks are infrequent.

* Orest

fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Well, maybe it won't be an issue, but nice to have the setting.

I have yet to see a tail number shown, and the squawks are infrequent.

* Orest

Interesting.  I have seen tail numbers, not sure if I seen squawks. To be clear, I have certainly seen some targets with no squawk codes.

Edited by fritz - 02 Jan 2015 at 10:46am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:32pm
The tail numbers are infrequent and the squawks are even less so.  Most of the time it is just a target with altitude difference from my aircraft.  I think only Mode S and ADS-B equipped aircraft will provide tail numbers.  I don't know what triggers the Squawk code display though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic