Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeppesen only source of navdata.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 4:49pm
Terrain is updated very infrequently - it would be surprising if there was an update already vs what the IFD540 shipped with.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 4:06pm
Sorry.  You are correct.  It is obstacles that I get with the updates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 3:55pm
Obstacles.
David Gates
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 3:27pm
What came out in January 8? That's the one I tried.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:56pm
Are you sure it is terrain?

Obstacles is done monthly; I don't think terrain is.
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 1:11pm
 The Jepp contact says that the terrain update will come later when provided by Avidyne. [/QUOTE]

I receive the terrain update thru JSUM each update cycle.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 1:03pm
So we email to that general account, and simply indicate "question about Avidyne IFD540" ?

* Oest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 12:41pm
Response from Jepp rep:

"Unfortunately I am not always available for customer support.  But what I can do is be available through our Service email.  Please have any other Avidyne IFD customers email our inbox Captain@jeppesen.com and I will be sure to support questions/comments from this inbox within 48 hours.  And if someone needs to discuss over the phone, we can coordinate through that medium."

David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:56am
Can we have the name, and how to get hold of her? Just the regular GA number?

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:49am
I am (tentatively) happy to report that thanks to Jake's intervention, I have been connected with at least one person at Jepp who understands our boxes, our needs, and the update process.

She took the initiative to rework my subscription(s) to give me the bundle that Jake has claimed to exist but nobody (at least in my experience) at Jepp could find.

Beyond that, she was actually pleasant, knowledgeable, and easy going.

Maybe, it is done.  

Edit: The right package Charts, Navdata, and Obstacles, are now in my JSUM.  The Jepp contact says that the terrain update will come later when provided by Avidyne.

I have queried this individual regarding posting her contact info.

Edited by ddgates - 13 Jan 2015 at 11:19am
David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:44am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Frustrating.

Yes.  As a Jepp customer, this sums up every single experience I have ever had with their customer "support".

I cringe every time I have to deal with them.  I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

They would not be able to get away with their absolutely awful customer service...

...except that they're the only game in town.

I hate that, too.

Edited by MysticCobra - 12 Jan 2015 at 11:45am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:10am
Would you maybe post Jepp product numbers once you get a response from your rep?

The basic bundle (national IFR, charts, terrain, obstacles) would probably be what most 540 owners would choose, so if we could ask for Jepp product XXXXXX, it might make this work better.

If they can't get it right, again suggest consideration of second sourcing.

Thanks.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 10:40am
Frustrating.  Passed it along to our Jepp rep this morning and following up with phone call later today.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 9:49am
Steve:

Remember the grid you posted on Jepp options?  

I should have my head examined but just tried to convert the Navdata package for my IFDs to the bundle.

Per their rep, the only bundles they show are:
A bundle for Navdata and charts for the $994 price.  No obstacles or terrain updating.
A bundle for Navdata, charts and something for iPads.  Not interested.

Do you have a Jepp product number for the bundle you referenced in your post?  Can Avidyne do anything to make this process reliable?

Thanks.

Edited by ddgates - 12 Jan 2015 at 11:10am
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 9:51am
Steve:

Appreciate your thoughts.  

My conclusions:
  • The Jeppesen product is very good
  • The Jeppesen company is not user friendly 
  • The process of obtaining subscriptions and data is too error prone, and cumbersome (I have literally spent 12 person-hours trying to correct an overcharge by Jepp which they told me couldn't happen)
  • A sourcing alternative for navdata would be a good strategy for Avidyne (as I have been working through this billing problem, I am reminded over and over again that since I have bought the 540s, I don't have a choice but to continue to deal with Jepp)
I know Steve Podradchik is interested in working with Avidyne; I think now he feels he has the infrastructure to be a data supplier for the IFD540.

An alternative vendor sourcing would help, as would improvements in the Jeppesen front end, as well as clarity/standardization of packages, pricing, and nomenclature.

BTW - I love my 540s!

Happy holidays to all.

Edited by ddgates - 24 Dec 2014 at 9:52am
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 9:13am
I hear you guys but I'm not optimistic.   Several years back when we had to make a decision, Seattle Avionics didn't have sufficient global coverage.  So, we had to place our bets with Jepp and worked out some interesting bundling options to go along with their high quality data products.

It's a massive (and I mean massive) undertaking to shift data providers or add the support for alternative data providers/formats.   We can't justify spending the time and money on that effort when there are so many other features/products on the roadmap that we (and many of you) deem essential.

We'll continue to work it from our end to try and help Jepp become a more well oiled operation.   Not being so reflects poorly upon us.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 9:51pm
So, you are really saying, you like Jepp, but support choice?  That is what I am advocating, so we agree...

In truth they were a relatively tight business operation until Boeing acquired them; now their front office is substantially more than a little off.

Edited by ddgates - 23 Dec 2014 at 9:53pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:49pm

But, as long as one has a choice, not an issue. I'm a Jepp guy.

Sure their front office is a bit off, but their plates are top notch, and you get the same format in the US and Canada (and world-wide), so I'm covered for my travels.

In Canada you have to pay about as much for NavCanada plates as for Jepps, we don't have a lower cost option available, so Jepps make sense for me. That is probably true for the UK and much of Europe.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Dec 2014 at 8:57pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 7:13pm
+2
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 5:48pm
+1
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 5:27pm
I am currently trying to work through an accounting fiasco with Jeppesen and American Express.

The crux of the matter is duplicate charges, incorrect crediting, and accounts receivable errors at Jeppesen.  Their accounting department is unbelievably incompetent.

If there were any other source of navdata for these new Avidyne boxes I bought, I would have already bailed on Jeppesen.  

Since there is no other potential sourcing, we are de facto hostages to Jeppesen.

I urge Avidyne to seek other sourcing arrangements; would personally suggest Seattle Avionics.

I suspect other Avidyne owners may agree.

David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic