Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enabling/Activating Missed Approach Procedure??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Enabling/Activating Missed Approach Procedure??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enabling/Activating Missed Approach Procedure??
    Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:10am

My IFD540 installation isn't scheduled until February. Meanwhile I'm spending way too much time with the simulator.

I notice that in order to fly a missed approach procedure, you need to "enable" it inside the FAF, or "activate" it after the miss. Both of these actions are done from the FPL page, not the MAP page.

Missed approaches are relatively rare. It seems to me that it would be easy to get into the habit of forgetting to enable the miss. Then, in the event you really do need it, you have to bring up the FPL page (which is not likely to be displayed while you are shooting the approach), and then locate and push the Activate LSK. Then, maybe go back to the MAP page to see the chart. This seems like a lot of button-pushing at a time when the workload and stress are high. With one hand on the yoke and the other on the throttle, not many are left for the IFD540.

Why was this enable/activate process was built into the box? Am I missing something?

For future releases, would it be possible to implement a "TOGA" (takeoff/go-around) button like most turbine aircraft have? When you push the TOGA button on a jet, the flight director jumps to the go-around pitch attitude and the FMS sequences to the missed approach procedure.

Most of us Cessna guys don't have flight directors, but we do have IFD540s. It would be useful to put a TOGA button next to the throttle or on the yoke. When you went to full power on a go around, you could hit the button with your thumb. That would tell the IFD540 to activate the miss procedure. No more fumbling with FMS pages, and the chart on the MAP page would stay up.

Mike

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:32am
This behavior will be changing, to auto-enable, can't remember which release though.

* Orest

wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 12:00pm
I have a button on my throttle related to my AP and my (old) Garmin.

Do you mean that this will no longer work?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 12:23pm
Release 10.1 contains a change where a new User Option exists to automatically enable the missed approach when crossing the FAF for that very reason - it is currently sub-optimal from a button pressing perspective in our opinion so we agree with you.

We don't drive flight director command bars from the IFD540 so to the extent you have a TOGA button in your airplane, this does not break anything.  If you don't currently have a TOGA button/control in your airplane, this doesn't add anything like that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic