Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS failure
    Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 9:35am
On my first big trip after the 540/340 install, the 540 did not capture any signals from GPS. I had to restart it before it would work.

Now I had the update installed last week, and the first two flights have resulted in the same problem.Yesterday,  I waited over five minutes while the engine warmed up, and still NO GPS. Again, after restarting, it picked it up. And it held them during the flight.

What's up with this? Is is something in the software? Why do I have to restart the unit to capture GPS?

Very frustrated at this point.

kansasdoc
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 9:54am
This is highly unexpected.  Do we have your datalogs?   We'll need them to see what's happening.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:25am
ksdoc, can you keep us posted here on your findings?  I'm sure this must be extremely frustrating for you, but it's also worrisome for those of us about to go in for installs.  With the number of reported problems, I don't understand how this wasn't caught during the certification process.  This doesn't give me confidence that my unit will operate properly when installed.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:29am
Whoa! I'm not sure I follow the statement, "With the number of reported problems..." Can you elaborate?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:37am
AviJake,

How do I get the datalogs?
kansasdoc
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:39am
If you have access to the pilot guide, the procedures are on page 6-32.

Please send the logs to sjacobson@avidyne.com or to Avidyne Tech Support. We'll jump right on them.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:46am
Thanks for the help!

I'll try to get out there this afternoon.
kansasdoc
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Whoa! I'm not sure I follow the statement, "With the number of reported problems..." Can you elaborate?

I guess it bothers me more than anything that Avidyne doesn't recognize that it has had an issue.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:36am
I'm sorry but I'm really not following you. What is this issue that we are reportedly not aware of?

We take this very seriously so claims to the contrary raise all kinds of red flags. I have personally written all our SILs and review every field report personally. Are there some issues you don't think we've acknowledged, broadcast, or dealt with?

I'm out of the office today but if you think it's better served by a phone call, please use 781-402-7474 or any other means you want to use.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:14pm
I suspect brou0040 is referring to the GPS loss-of-signal issues experienced by Orest (here) and roy32jm (here).

FWIW, it's not clear to me that these are all the same issue, or that there's any systemic fault here.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 8:31am
If that's the case, here's a quick update:

With the Orest report, we received his original unit back and found that the I/O card was faulty, thereby causing the loss of GPS.  I understand his replacement unit works fine in that regards now.

With the roy32jm report, we are in the process of swapping out his IFD and when the original unit returns, we'll be all over it to see what is causing his issue.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 8:46am
Confirmed. Replacement is working fine.

* Orest

ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:26am
To AviJake and all those at Tech Support, esp Raymond who has been great to work with, Happy Holidays! 

Tell them I couldn't get to the plane and download the data before I left on vacation. I'll work on it when I get back.
Expect for the one minor glitch, which I know will be corrected, the 540/340 combo has been awesome!
kansasdoc
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:04pm
Reading this thread, I would like to elaborate on exactly the problem I experienced with my 540. It would lose signal for a couple minutes into the flight. My installer indicated he experienced the issue while taxiing during testing, so it seems to be a time related issue. The GPS did not require restarting and returned to normal operation on its own. It would function normally after that.
Clearly not acceptable function, but not quite what I think is being perceived. My other unit has performed without issue.
be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

I guess it bothers me more than anything that Avidyne doesn't recognize that it has had an issue.

The first flight with my unit, the GPS failed.  It never reacquired again, temps and software were no longer reporting for the GPS or LIO items.  I put about 800 nmi on the unit with it never acquiring before I had a chance to RMA the unit.  Hardware needed to be replaced.  Back from rework, the unit was recently reinstalled and the GPS failed on the first flight just prior to the FAF.  The GPS never reacquired the entire flight home (~25 min).  Back on the ground while on the phone with tech support, it was able to acquire, but lost it again after a few minutes.

Can you follow my statement now?

I believe these continued issues are a result of Avidyne not recognizing it has a larger reliability issue than patching a few software bugs.

I've been quiet about the issues I've been having until now, but the second failure straight out of the box is simply unacceptable.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 5:48pm

I believe these continued issues are a result of Avidyne not recognizing it has a larger reliability issue than patching a few software bugs.

I've been quiet about the issues I've been having until now, but the second failure straight out of the box is simply unacceptable.

Your GPS failure mode seems unique compared to those that have been described here. Different than mine as well.

When was the "second" unit shipped to you? From what I understand there were at least a couple things going on, some software, some hardware. Apparently it only affected a small subset of folks, typically the 14v folks, I was one too.

My current unit is absolutely solid, everything is working as it should be. If your unit is not working, then RMA it back. They'll swap it out in generally a few days.

Any chance you have an antenna issue?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2015 at 5:49pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 6:13pm
I don't believe it's an installation issue because we went through that prior to RMA'ing.  Swapping for a 530 resolved the issue and GPS was solid.

I just received my unit back from RMA on Tuesday (3/31/2015).  My two GPS failures are unique from each other, not sure if they are similar to what other people ran into.

I have a 28V system.

The logs have already been sent to tech support, but it's after hours there (and now the weekend) and I'm supposed to fly to the coast in the morning - I hope the VFR forecast is accurate.  Next weekend up in the Bay area has me more concerned.

Edited by brou0040 - 03 Apr 2015 at 6:13pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:57pm
Nasty. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Good luck.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 7:01pm
Some more info.  To me it's more unnerving, but hopefully provides some insight.

On today's flight, the GPS was working for the first 45 minutes before it died.  When it was working, I had a chance to tune in and ID a VOR, turn the CDI and watch the green line move on the 540.

When the GPS failed, although I could still hear the audio and the frequency had the blue ID box, I was not receiving VOR information on the CDI.  This is another problem for me because I was thinking that if the GPS died in flight, that at least I could still revert to an ILS, which now I cannot because the GS is tied to the 540.  I can't even use dual VOR functions so I'm down to a single VOR (of my kx-155a).

I hope this combo failure is not part of the design, and just some useful troubleshooting info.  I can't believe the FAA would allow the box to be certified with this type of failure.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:10pm
Dumb question on my part, I am sure.

Sounds to me like your experience calls for a unit swap out, doesn't it?
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Dumb question on my part, I am sure.

Sounds to me like your experience calls for a unit swap out, doesn't it?

Absolutely does, still waiting for the AOG callback that was supposed to call back "right away" last night.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 9:33pm
It could very well be the input/output module failure issue, although slightly different symptoms.

* Orest

FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:23am
This and the Errors Loading Data Updates thread are concerning.  One common factor (unrelated?) I noticed in both these cases it was a 28v install.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It could very well be the input/output module failure issue, although slightly different symptoms.

* Orest

I was thinking about this because the RMA I did was partly due to I/O issues. 

Since I didn't test the VOR on Friday and it hasn't worked again since I saw the VOR issue yesterday, I can't say that I have a valid test to say the VOR output has died.

I have a few other squawks I might as well mention to think about a little.  I wasn't too concerned about them yet since I was expecting to be able to resolve them once the unit was working properly.

- I get a recurring alert to says "selected course / dtk mismatch" while both the CDI and the HI are both set to the proper heading (dtk course and what the course that the alert says) and the CDI is in GPS mode.  Since I saw the green VOR line move on the 540 earlier, I think the CDI wires are connected properly for both input and output.  I don't see that the gyro heading indicator needs to be wired, I only see IRU / AHRS systems listed in the 540 IM, so I don't believe it's trying to read the bug on my HI.  My guess is a config issue, but I'm not sure where.

- Even while I was getting GPS signals, the FLTA inhibited would annunciate randomly and stay on for a random amount of time.  I think I noticed one instance at ~10 seconds and others over a minute.  My guess is a install or unit issue.

- EI FP-5L fuel flow is not talking with the 540.  The unit is listed in the proven interfaces table of the install manual and I have the channel input set to Arnav / Ei-fuel as shown on page 82 of the install manual.  The installer had this partially configured, but not working.  I thought that was because I had the FP-5L previously set to talk to a G296, I've reset that to what I believe should be the proper settings according to the FP-5L IM.  I believe it's In1 and Ot1, but I have my notes at the hanger.  I plan on giving Ot2 since it also states Garmin units.  My guess is an install or config issue (maybe the installer connected the wrong channel?)

- The AXP-340 does not automatically switch between GND and Auto modes, even when I had the channel output set to ADS-B (Avi) and had lat/long showing up on the transponder.  I could only cycle between ALT-ON-SBY and GND was never an option.  I'm wondering if unit defaults to squat over lat/long and the installer has it somehow wired for squat and it's continuously thinking it's flying.  My guess is a config issue.

- With the 540 set to it's maximum volume, it is still very quiet, much quieter than my kx-155a.  No idea - unit limitation?

- The AXP-340 volume is also very quiet even with it's volume set to max (I know this is another forum for this).  No idea - unit limitation?

Update: This is a new 540 install using the Avidyne tray, there was no previous 530.  FLTA and TA are both turned on for the user settings and I was in cruise at 8500 feet in the valley so there should have been any inhibiting due to being near an airport.

Edited by brou0040 - 05 Apr 2015 at 12:17pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 10:48am
Probably not related.

Haven't been able to get my fuel flow working either although it is wired and configured correctly.

Sorry to see you are having all kinds of issues.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:35pm
I can comment on the audio. My IFD540 is very loud in my setup, I normally run the volume at about 1/3 scale on the IFD540. 

The AXP340, in contrast, is fairly quiet at its default setting. So, I changed the audio setting to 9 I think. It is in the maintenance menu of the AXP340.

I have a PM8000B.

Also, this comment from another thread ...

Quote Incidentally, my install glitches were due to a funky 530 tray. Once we substituted a new one, everything seems to be resolved. Symptoms were intermittent loss of GPS lock. I mention it in case anyone else is having that problem for unexplained reasons.

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Apr 2015 at 12:38pm
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:31pm
Since my initial post back in December, I have had the unit replaced, upgraded to the newest software, and it still consistently loses the GPS signal. Each episode lasts anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute. And it happens on every flight. Tech support has been very helpful, and it looks like they are sending another unit soon, but it's not what I paid for or was expecting. At this point, I don't trust it enough to fly in actual IFR, and I don't have a second or backup GPS. I really love the functionality and the intuitive use of the 540, but I'm almost to the point of wanting my Garmin 530 back, it was rock solid reliable.
kansasdoc
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:43pm
That is totally unacceptable.  I know you take no solace in hearing that this is not the normal experience and we've got a full-court press going right now to lick this once and for all.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 6:57am
ksdoc,  As I am having a similar issue, I wonder if you also see the GPS loss on the ground before departure?  When you do have the loss in the air, do you find it happens throughout the flight or mainly at the beginning and then behaves the rest of the flight?  I get it on the ground every flight before departure.  Most times it comes back before I depart but I have also lost it at the beginning stages of flights and once that clears up, it is fine for the rest.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:11am

Some more info.  To me it's more unnerving, but hopefully provides some insight.

On today's flight, the GPS was working for the first 45 minutes before it died.  When it was working, I had a chance to tune in and ID a VOR, turn the CDI and watch the green line move on the 540.

When the GPS failed, although I could still hear the audio and the frequency had the blue ID box, I was not receiving VOR information on the CDI.  This is another problem for me because I was thinking that if the GPS died in flight, that at least I could still revert to an ILS, which now I cannot because the GS is tied to the 540.  I can't even use dual VOR functions so I'm down to a single VOR (of my kx-155a).

I hope this combo failure is not part of the design, and just some useful troubleshooting info.  I can't believe the FAA would allow the box to be certified with this type of failure.

There is an active investigation going on here. But one relevant update is that this was not a GPS failure but actually an I/O board reboot. That took down all of the in's and out's of which GPS was one of them. We're now trying to sort out why the I/O card reset.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:33am
The failure for me occurs at random times. I just returned from a trip Wichita to Vegas, and it failed each leg. Mostly during flight, usually after an hour or so. But leaving Vegas in controlled space, it failed for about a minute. Glad I was VFR. On a flight yesterday, it failed while I was doing a preflight runup. A replacement unit is now on it's way. I hope it corrects the problem.
kansasdoc
Gablesm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gablesm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 11:33pm
ksdoc,

good luck getting this resolved.  I had my IFD540's removed and my original Garmin 530W's placed back in my turbo prop.  as soon as that happened, my Garmin G500 didn't have erroneous data coming from the ADC to determine wind speed/direction and my traffic from my skywatch performed flawlessly. 

I've gone thru 3 replacement units.  I purchased a turbo prop because I wanted the highly reliable dispatch rates.  having avionics issues that cause AOG isn't acceptable. 

I'm surprised the FAA approved this box given the number of failures I read on this forum about intermittent GPS issues.

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:18am
The key is "intermittent".  Not everybody is experiencing issues.  Most people are not.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:33pm
An update on my status:

As AviJake mentioned above, after further investigation of the logs, they believe the unit had an I/O failure and sent out a new unit.

The new unit arrived and has mostly worked.  The GPS was solid for about an hour while I was configuring the unit, changing config settings on my EI FP-5L, and verifying GPS data to my ACK E-04 ELT.  A little while later while on the phone with tech support because the transponder doesn't seem to be switching modes properly, I fired the unit back up and it no longer had GPS signal, but it would flash a few bars from time to time on the GPS page.  Previous failures would had nothing on the GPS page.

Today I flew a quick flight to test VOR reception and CDI response and most things seemed to work OK.  The transponder still isn't switching modes properly, but the fuel flow is now communicating both directions with the GPS.  I was only airborne for 25 minutes, but the GPS never failed (it worked for ~45 minutes before dying last sat so I'm not confident this means the issue is resolved).

The unit doesn't respond to the dimmer rheostat and doesn't respond reading the voltage in the calibration section.  It was working out of the box (I was able to calibrate it properly out of the box), but then it lost the settings and no longer responds to the dimmer.  The rest of the avionics still respond to the dimmer and the AXP-340 can read the dimmer voltage as a test so it seems like it's a 540 (unit or install) issue.  The prior unit was also having dimmer issues so I've been working with the installer to troubleshoot that, but neither him nor Avidyne tech support believe that the dimmer circuit would be related to I/O issues.

FYI, I think the transponder not switching modes properly is an install issue, I don't believe P1001 Pin 8 Weight on Wheels was connected properly.  Tech support had be believing that everything was connected properly because it was receiving GPS data properly, but this seems to be a separate discrete line.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 5:03pm
Went flying today and beside the dimmer and transponder mode issues, the unit worked great on the way to lunch, I flew RNAV, VOR, and ILS approaches on the way down.  After lunch I was going to fly an LPV on the way home, but the GPS never acquired on the ground so I just flew home instead of trying the LPV.  The unit never acquired on the 40 minute flight home either.  I've sent the logs to tech support.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:37pm
Aggravating to say the least.   If your GPS is not locking on during the ground ops, it's most likely a LIO (I/O card) issue.    Now we have to determine why.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:45pm

Aggravating to say the least.   If your GPS is not locking on during the ground ops, it's most likely a LIO (I/O card) issue.    Now we have to determine why.

I agree we are at the point where we need to determine root cause because I believe this would be the 3rd unit in a row that was determined to have I/O issues although the symptoms have been different.  Please provide some specific guidance of how to provide useful data to you for your investigation.  I'm not sure trying a 4th unit is the best idea at this point.  Finding a root cause rather than having the symptoms go away will go a long way to regaining confidence that it'll remain solid in the clouds.

By the way, we cancelled our spring break trip to visit family due to this, there is a good chance I would have needed IFR capability.

Edited by brou0040 - 11 Apr 2015 at 1:51pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 2:35pm
Absolutely and I agree that another box makes no sense. It looks like we're zeroing in.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 11:32am
We are another one of the GPS failure stories, when the new software in January was installed, GPS would no longer rec satellites, new box installed, GPS worked but port 5 would not talk to Garmin 696, SIL for weak transmission had not been done yet, so sent that box back to Avidyne, Received new box this week, GPS worked when first turned on but promptly gave a GPS fault after about 10 minutes. Still won't talk to 696. ( 696 GPS worked fine with no external antenna).

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 12:14pm
Definitely sounds like another LIO problem.   It looks to most folks like a GPS issue but it's really the I/O card.   These I/O card related issues started popping up around the Release 10.0.3.0 timeframe  so we're focused on that right now.

For those people who are experiencing this, please make sure we know about it.    It appears to be some type of handshaking/initialization issue with the I/O board and software so if you don't see this in the first 10 minutes, you're very likely to be fine for the rest of the power duration.

As for the 696 issue that Dlesh123 is having, I strongly suspect it's a configuration issue on the ports for the IFD540.  I bet the installer tried setting Aviation Out on more than one of the 232 output ports in Maintenance Mode.   The system can only support one output channel and uses the lowest number. So in your case, I bet channel 1 or 2 or 4 is also set to Aviation Out.   If you send a picture of page 2 of your Mx Mode ("Config" tab) or the datalogs we can tell very quickly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 12:35pm

Definitely sounds like another LIO problem.   It looks to most folks like a GPS issue but it's really the I/O card.

That may be true, but since it takes down GPS reception, then from the user perspective this IS a GPS failure at best and possibly a larger system failure (when it took out my VOR indications on the CDI).

It appears to be some type of handshaking/initialization issue with the I/O board and software so if you don't see this in the first 10 minutes, you're very likely to be fine for the rest of the power duration.

I've turned the unit off in flight several times to try to reset the GPS and power cycled the avionics switch when on the ground to reset the unit.  Some times I'd turn everything off while reading the manuals and go back and test 30 minutes later.  Once it lost GPS, it lost it for the rest of the day with one exception.  One time it didn't have reception the entire flight back, but reacquired on the ground while on the phone with tech support for a few minutes, but then lost it for the rest of the day.  Just as another datapoint, my experience is that it is much more likely to stay failed even when power cycling the unit after a failure and not for just that flight.  I was thinking there was a temperature component to the issue.
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:15pm
TJ specifically set up our box with port 5 as aviation out,no altitude for the very reason you gave, so more troubleshooting to do, including checking the wiring.

As for the GPS piece, we turned it on and off on the ground several times, re racked box, all to no avail.

We have no experience with software prior to 10.0.3.0 as ours was upgraded the day we picked up the airplane after the installation, I am sure it was working prior, or the installer would not have told us it was ready after his earlier testing.
Is it option to go back to previous software version until this is resolved?

Edited by Dlesh123 - 12 Apr 2015 at 3:23pm
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:49pm
Hi

I offer this as a potential pointer to whats going on, knowing full well it could be meaningless. I have an IFD540 and Aspen setup in my airplane. It is a new install of everything, no reuse. It is running 10.0.2.0 and I have not, up until yesterday seen a GPS fault on the unit in probably 20-30 hours of flying in the US and Mexico. Yesterday, when taxiing from the fuel island at KLVK to my hanger, the unit suddenly showed a GPS fault and dead reckoning. I was in a hurry due to passenger needs, so didn't check the GPS satellite status or wait to see if it would recover on its own before shutting down. What is interesting is that I used to have a GX60 MX20 combination that was rock solid except that the MX20 blue screened on me several times in the exact same location with a general system fault. I do not know why this spot was problematic for the MX20. In two years of use I never had it do this anywhere else but in that one spot, taxiing on the ground back to my hanger. Error codes are not very clear for that unit but it looked like it thought it was getting garbage GPS data and so took itself offline.

My thinking is this could be due to some sort of radio interference bleeding over into the GPS receivers and corrupting the data. This location on the airport is off to the side of the ILS glide slope antenna, but is in front of it and there could be a strong side lobe there. I know the observation of loss of GPS sticks around for the IFD540, but once confused, the receiver software may get into a state where it's not recoverable. Perhaps the failures in GPS lock are due to radio interference with the GPS receiver at startup.

I pulled the logs from the unit today in case someone is interested in looking them over. I also pulled the plane out of the hanger today and checked it. Plenty of good satellites and immediate GPS lock. Go figure.

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:19am

Definitely sounds like another LIO problem.   It looks to most folks like a GPS issue but it's really the I/O card.   These I/O card related issues started popping up around the Release 10.0.3.0 timeframe  so we're focused on that right now.

Do you have an update or a timeline?  This is my 6th week down due to this issue with no resolution in sight.  If it's a software issue, does that mean we'll be waiting a while for 10.1.1.0?  How fast can you turn around a bug fix release?  Pretty soon I'm going to be incurring airline costs because my airplane has been downgraded to VFR due to this upgrade (I've already cancelled a few trips).  If I was a 530 upgrade, I would have that unit back in during this troubleshooting and would still have full capability.  Since I'm a new install, I'm totally stuck at this point.

Edited by brou0040 - 14 Apr 2015 at 10:19am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:49pm
We believe we had a major breakthrough on this issue this week.   Another day or three of testing to be completely sure but we think we finally found the root cause of the I/O card initialization issue.    A little ferrite bead was added to the board a while ago to suppress some excessive noise in the electric circuit.  This little devil changed the timing of the circuit just enough and just subtle enough to screw up the I/O board initialization which absolutely manifests itself in the behavior some folks are seeing.

We will verify the fix is a solid fix and then determine how we roll it in.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:30pm
That is great news. I am curious why some folks have the issue and others don't. If the bead was added later on, why is it that the 2nd software release seems to be when the problem started happening for me when I still had the original units.   I guess this may not be the answer for everyone but it is interesting to keep up with the dynamics.
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 12:47am
A wise EE once said,   "There is no such thing as noise--only signals we choose not to understand!"
BH
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 1:10pm

We believe we had a major breakthrough on this issue this week.   Another day or three of testing to be completely sure but we think we finally found the root cause of the I/O card initialization issue.    A little ferrite bead was added to the board a while ago to suppress some excessive noise in the electric circuit.  This little devil changed the timing of the circuit just enough and just subtle enough to screw up the I/O board initialization which absolutely manifests itself in the behavior some folks are seeing.

We will verify the fix is a solid fix and then determine how we roll it in.

Great news!! I sure hope this is the bug we have all been expecting you to find and KILL!!

I had my 4th unit installed this week, and with only 1.5 hrs flight, everything is working well. I look forward to a long cross country and NO GPS errors!!
kansasdoc
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 7:59pm
An update on my issues, Avidyne has been doing a great job over the last few days troubleshooting the logs and the RMA'd hardware.  I hope to be back in the shop next week and be fully functional by the end of next week.  It may be a combination of unit and install issues, but nothing will be confirmed until next week.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:46pm
That is good news, Steve.  Do all production units have this ferrite bead, or was it added after start of production?  Do you expect a software fix, or will this require a hardware change?

My airplane is all done and waiting for all-up integration test of the avionics, except that we had a failure of a non-Avidyne product and we're delayed now for a month waiting on a replacement.  I would hate to finally get that thing in and then find out that the 540 has to be shipped off...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic