Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 8:46am
Confirmed. Replacement is working fine.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 8:31am
If that's the case, here's a quick update:

With the Orest report, we received his original unit back and found that the I/O card was faulty, thereby causing the loss of GPS.  I understand his replacement unit works fine in that regards now.

With the roy32jm report, we are in the process of swapping out his IFD and when the original unit returns, we'll be all over it to see what is causing his issue.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:14pm
I suspect brou0040 is referring to the GPS loss-of-signal issues experienced by Orest (here) and roy32jm (here).

FWIW, it's not clear to me that these are all the same issue, or that there's any systemic fault here.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:36am
I'm sorry but I'm really not following you. What is this issue that we are reportedly not aware of?

We take this very seriously so claims to the contrary raise all kinds of red flags. I have personally written all our SILs and review every field report personally. Are there some issues you don't think we've acknowledged, broadcast, or dealt with?

I'm out of the office today but if you think it's better served by a phone call, please use 781-402-7474 or any other means you want to use.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Whoa! I'm not sure I follow the statement, "With the number of reported problems..." Can you elaborate?

I guess it bothers me more than anything that Avidyne doesn't recognize that it has had an issue.
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:46am
Thanks for the help!

I'll try to get out there this afternoon.
kansasdoc
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:39am
If you have access to the pilot guide, the procedures are on page 6-32.

Please send the logs to sjacobson@avidyne.com or to Avidyne Tech Support. We'll jump right on them.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:37am
AviJake,

How do I get the datalogs?
kansasdoc
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:29am
Whoa! I'm not sure I follow the statement, "With the number of reported problems..." Can you elaborate?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:25am
ksdoc, can you keep us posted here on your findings?  I'm sure this must be extremely frustrating for you, but it's also worrisome for those of us about to go in for installs.  With the number of reported problems, I don't understand how this wasn't caught during the certification process.  This doesn't give me confidence that my unit will operate properly when installed.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 9:54am
This is highly unexpected.  Do we have your datalogs?   We'll need them to see what's happening.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 9:35am
On my first big trip after the 540/340 install, the 540 did not capture any signals from GPS. I had to restart it before it would work.

Now I had the update installed last week, and the first two flights have resulted in the same problem.Yesterday,  I waited over five minutes while the engine warmed up, and still NO GPS. Again, after restarting, it picked it up. And it held them during the flight.

What's up with this? Is is something in the software? Why do I have to restart the unit to capture GPS?

Very frustrated at this point.

kansasdoc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic