Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navdata, Obstacles, Terrain, Charts, Oh My!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navdata, Obstacles, Terrain, Charts, Oh My!
    Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:51pm
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Navdata (contiguous USA) $465
Obstacles $180
Terrain $225
Total $870  

That's without charts!!

Charts (contiguous USA) $940
This price for the charts includes use on up to 4 devices (iPad, etc.)

WAIT -- THERE ARE BUNDLES:
Bundle 1:  For $994, you get: Navdata, Obstacles, Terrrain, and Charts for the 48 states..  (This bundle does include charts, but only on the IFD-540, not on 4 additional devices, and you cannot buy "trip kits" for trips out of the coverage area)

Bundle 2:  For $1267, you get: Navdata, Obstacles, Terrrain, and Charts for the 48 states..  (This bundle does include charts on up to 4 additional devices, and allows you to buy "trip kits" if needed for trips out of the coverage area)

I'm struggling with which way to go.  Here are a few possibilities:

1. Navdata only.  I'll use Foreflight for charts and plates. $465

2.  I really want to take advantage of some additional features of the 540, so I could add obstacles and/or terrain. I think the obstacles would be more important that the terrain, so I could just do Navdata and Obstacles for $645.

3. Or I could get Navdata, obstacles, and terrain, for $870.

4. Oh heck, if I'm already paying $870, it's only $124 more for charts...

I just signed up for the Navdata for now, while I contemplate my options.  I'm leaning toward option 2 (Navdata and obstacles only).  I'd appreciate any comments, thoughts, or suggestions.  I was paying $370/yr for my GNC-300XL, so this is a brave new world for me.  What is everybody else doing?

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:07pm
You should consider terrain to be a one-time charge. I'm surprised to hear that it's even available on a subscription basis. It doesn't move much !!

Obstacles are a bit more sensitive but given that they don't change all that much either, many people update only from time to time (say, once a year) and take the small risk that a tower goes up between updates where one regularly flies or just when one wants to fly there. I'm also surprised to hear that these are available as a subscription.

IMHO, I'd get the terrain and obstacles once and leave it at that. You can always order an update if/when you think it justified.

Vince

Edited by chflyer - 08 Dec 2014 at 1:09pm
Vince
topogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:32pm
I'm sure this information exists somewhere in the prior thread stream.  What happens when you try to use outdated data with the IFD 540?  I recall that you cannot georef on approach plates for example.  Any other downsides or blocks with terrain or navdata?
Thanks,
Should have my 540 install done end of this month.
Mark
Not all that counts can be counted
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:35pm
Gotta have navdata if you want to be legal IFR.

I don't think charts adds much to what you can see on your iPad (or in my case, my Aspens).

Agree about obstacles and terrain.  Terra firma is terra firma.

Obstacles might be worth revising annually?

Expensive  ones and zeros, don't you think?

David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 7:50pm
Navdata is mandatory if you are flying IFR.

Terrain should come with the unit. It is only updates that if you need to, these are rare and infrequent.

Obstacles, for $180/yr, $15/mo, is very good value. I think it would be ill advised to not get these updated, in particular given the exception FLTA available with the 540.

Charts you could live without, but the incremental cost is not much. These are georeferenced, and work well with the regular map (shows you the rectangle on the map), and flips to geo-referenced airport view when you land.

I got the bundle, the whole shot. To me trying to pare down the coverage is kind of nickel and diming, in the grand scheme of things.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Dec 2014 at 8:55pm
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 8:11pm
Great comments already - Thanks!

Of course I will have the Navdata, just like my previous GPS.  I've signed up for that already.

If terrain is in the unit, I see no reason to pay $225/yr for that.  Great point on that.

Obstacles - meh.  If IFR, you should be clear of obstacles using normal procedures.  I'll admit, it would be nice for VFR operations.  Can I assume obstacles are in the 540 from the factory?  If so, I might take the risk of updating those once a year.  I've got a question in to Jepp about the cost of that. (I suspect it might be $180 LOL)

Even if I got Navdata and Obstacles for $645/yr, the bundle is $349 more.  I just don't think the charts are worth that to me at the moment.  We'll see how it goes...
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
Those numbers look screwed up to me.

If you can send me your quote from Jepp (sjacobson@avidyne.com), we'll send it to our Jepp rep and have them correct it or provide justification for the accuracy of it.  For example, you should not be getting charged for terrain.

The bundles are supposed to be very cost advantageous compared to pre-IFD540 pricing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 2:16pm
Steve,   can you post the correct information on this thread?

I have been holding off on Jepp subscription for similar confusion reasons.

It would save lots of us repetitive process of researching this.

Jepp site is not clear at all on packages (what is included etc)

Ed

Ed
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 3:00pm
Steve,

The alacarte pricing I listed above was straight off the Jepp website.  When I first called, they confirmed all those prices and did not mention the bundles at all.  I signed up for the Navdata only.  I then called back and asked about the bundles, and they provided that info, which is further down in my post.  I didn't receive any sort of written quote, but they were very clear on the pricing.  There were no smaller bundles, such as just Navdata and charts without the obstacles and terrain.

I then e-mailed Jepp yesterday about the cost of one-time updates for obstacles and terrain, just in case I might want to do that sometime in the future.  I got a response back from the same guy I spoke with on the phone who said he already went over everything with me on the phone.  Anyway, I cut and pasted my questions in my reply and asked for answers.  Hopefully they'll respond back to me on the "one-time" costs.

What really irks me is that it would be very easy for a new owner to call Jepp and just order everything (Navdata, obstacles and terrain), when as I understand it now, terrain is in the box, and would rarely need to be updated.  The Jepp folks were ready and willing to take my money for the terrain.  Not one mention about it being in the box already.

I decided to go with Navdata only for now.  I certainly cannot justify paying an additional $940 for charts, and I can't even justify paying the additional $529 for the bundle. The databases that came in the unit (including the navdata and obstacles, and charts) were all dated July 2014, which is good enough for me for now for the terrain and obstacles.

I will say the database update process was a breeze.  I didn't get the dongle from my avionics guy yet, but a standard memory stick worked fine.  It took just a few minutes.  (I liked the little airplane flying over the progress bar.)

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 8:10pm
UPDATE

Heard back from Jepp.  Here are the one-time update charges:

Obstacles (US) $60
Obstacles (Americas) $75
Terrain $225

I'm thinking I might do an obstacle update once a year, probably when I renew the subscription.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 8:43pm
But a few things still seem screwed up to me.  We've covered this with Jepp multiple times (seems like with every customer) and it's getting really old.

They should not even be talking about the terrain data updates - that is misleading and not required.   They should be leading off with the bundle pricing as soon as they hear you are an IFD540.   They should be able to provide a written/email quote each time.

We'll cover this again with our rep there.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 9:30pm
when I have a problem vendor, I second source them......
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 9:28am
Steve:

I just bought Navdata yesterday.  $465 for full US coverage.

No mention of bundles...

It would be helpful if Avidyne would post what we should be offered or what we should be requesting.

Tony is spot on about second sourcing, and I know Seattle Avionics would like to play.

Edited by ddgates - 10 Dec 2014 at 9:31am
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:37am
Same here, when I called Jepp there was no mention of a bundle. I had to cue them.

I am forced to get full Americas coverage, to get US + Canada, just like with *armin. The Avidyne full bundle is $1500. But I am still saving $500/year compared to my old GNS subscription, and now I'm getting charts on the device.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Dec 2014 at 10:40am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 12:47pm
Holy Cost of Ownership Batman!  You were spending $2000/yr for your old GPS in your Cherokee?!!  That's seems crazy to me.  Heck, $1500 seems crazy, too!  

Edited by pburger - 10 Dec 2014 at 12:48pm
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 1:10pm
I've thought a little more on this whole Navdata & charts issue.

I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK that Jepp essentially has a monopoly on the GPS databases.  I live at a private airport with two private instrument approaches.  After we pay the FAA to develop our approaches and bless them, we then have to pay Jepp to add them to the database.  I guess I can understand the need to keep very tight control on the IFR databases which include the approach procedures.

That being said, I don't think that same need applies to charts.  A Foreflight subscription with all charts and georeferenced plates is $150/yr.  But I would have to spend a minimum of $529 extra to get the bundle with charts for the IFD-540.  Where's the value?  I really think it would make a lot of sense to allow at least one other vendor in the mix for the supply of charts (including geo-referenced plates).  I wouldn't want to fly with the charts on the 540 as my only charts, anyway.  In my limited time with the new box, I already have determined that the plates are somewhat hard to read.  I'm very comfortable staying with plates on the iPad.  But, if the charts/plates could be added for a $150 price point, I suppose I'd pony up even with Foreflight in my lap.

Just my take. 
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 1:24pm
pburger:  I don't think that Jeppeson owns the source data.  I think they just get the source data from the feds and just package it for use

Steve:  I really believe if you would allow Jepp to be second sourced on your platform, it would be a discriminator in the market place. 
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 1:59pm

I thought I put president of Seattle Avionics in touch of Avidyne a few years ago. 

I know European data was a concern of Avidyne, but at last check I think Seattle Avionics had 99% of Europe covered.  Then it was coding the viewer was brought up, but DiSTi makes doing this charting stuff kids play in software and IIRC even in DO178b realm.

FWIW, the ~$1200 was what I paid for all US coverage after my early mess with Jeppesen representatives.  Seems a couple months later its still the same.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 2:00pm
Interesting...  So maybe Jepp isn't exclusive with the government, but they are exclusive with brand G and now brand A.  At our private airport, we had to pay Jeppesen to add our instrument procedures into "their" database.  Most of our users have brand G.  I suppose I'm lucky Avidyne uses Jeppesen, too, because once Jepp puts our procedure in "their" database, it is across the board for all brands that they work with.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 2:05pm
Yes, Steve Podradchik mentioned it to me as well.  
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 3:04pm
Bottom line, you can't beat Jepp's for clarity and design, and they are world-wide, including Canada. ;-)

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Holy Cost of Ownership Batman!  You were spending $2000/yr for your old GPS in your Cherokee?!!  That's seems crazy to me.  Heck, $1500 seems crazy, too!  

If I could buy JUST Eastern Canada and JUST Eastern US, it would be a lot less. No such option. I have to buy the entire Americas (Canada, US, Mexico, C.A. & S.A) for the navdata and obstacles, in order to get the US & Canada. That drives the price way up. It also doubles the update download/upload times.

I was campaigning earlier here to see if we could break that up, but it hasn't happened, so I pay through the nose.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Dec 2014 at 3:07pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:47pm
I chatted with Jepp this morning and they were going to email me a quote.  I've still haven't heard anything.  What is their typical turn around time?

That being said, the prices above agree with what I see on the website, but the rep did say that the web still doesn't represent the bundles they are offering for the 540.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:58pm
Sigh.  When the NACO vs. Jepp chart debate pops up from time to time on pilot forums, it seems like everyone loves to praise the Jepp charts and dog on the NACO charts.

But as a company, every experience I've ever had with Jepp feels like, "We're a monopoly and everyone loves us, so we don't have to worry about customer service or competitive pricing.  We can name our price and act like a bunch of disinterested arrogant jerks and our customers will still throw their money at us."

I *hate* that there's no option to buy nav and chart data from anyone but them.  I feel like I'm rewarding/enabling their horrible business performance, and that just irks the hell out of me.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 9:56am
We continue to pass all this feedback back to our Jepp contacts who continue to try and improve their communication and handling of customer accounts and subscription options.

This is a big deal to us to ensure they make it a clear and understandable process (including pricing) for all of you.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:20am
OK, can somebody post -

Is there a bundle for the IFD 540?
David Gates
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:36am
I had a similar experience with Jepp. I called to ask about pricing before I bought the 540. I had the western region on my garmin at the time. The rep had no idea how to price the subscription and handed me over to a supervisor. He wasn't sure either. After I got the unit installed, they at least had some idea and gave me the details on the options. I ended up with the "Full Monty" and paid around $1,000. Since I had a rebate on current subscription, so I can't recall the exact price. I'm happy with the charts covering the entire US. And love the geo-referencing. Still, it was more than I had expected.

kansasdoc
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 3:38pm
I finally talked with somebody at Jeppeson since they never did email a quote and they talked about the bundles...

Includes nav data, terrain, obstacles, and digital charts for the IFD and up to 4 iPads or PCs for $1267 for the US or $1029 for west of the Mississippi!  I guess it's a discount if you were going to go full out to start with.

Just nav data for the US (no bundle pricing) is $465, the west is $385, and a 1 time east coast update is $130 so if you ever plan on crossing the Mississippi, you should have paid for the entire US.  The picture on the website is incorrect.  It shows west/central as including WI/MI, IL/ID, but when you hover over it, it only shows west of the Mississippi.  I sent a screen shot and they confirmed the picture was wrong and it is only west of the Mississippi.  That's a shame because I fly from CA to WI about once a year but seldom east of MI.  Now I'll  have to buy the whole US.

Since flying IFR will avoid obstacles and the terrain doesn't move much, I can't see paying an additional $802 for the bundles when you can get charts for free.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 7:14pm
Thanks for posting that, very useful
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 7:20am
Standby.  I'll post some standard bundles later today when I get a few more minutes.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 8:12am

Please use this data as a baseline during any discussions with Jepp

Edited by AviJake - 12 Dec 2014 at 8:14am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:08am
This is useful.  Thanks.
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:27am
Steve:  See below.  Jepp is not set up to do this with any accuracy.   Note that "Jake" isn't the Jake we know and respect.
Jake:Hello David Gates, how may I help you?
9:16 AMDavid Gates:Hi Jake: Me again. I just bought the IFD540 Navdata_Full USA for my Avidyne 540. I now find out there was a bundle, called the IFD540 Basic, which was the package I should have asked for. What can be done?
9:16 AMJake:what services would you like?
9:17 AMDavid Gates:It is a BUNDLE, including NavData, Charts, and Terrain for $994.
9:18 AMJake:would you like me to cancel the current subscription and sign you up for that?
9:18 AMDavid Gates:Did you find that bundle?
9:18 AMJake:I know we offer a bundle for that unit
9:19 AMDavid Gates:Yes, I don't know what the item number is, do you?
9:20 AMJake:Is it a single 540?
9:21 AMDavid Gates:There are two of them, but the price is supposed to be the same.
9:22 AMJake:ok, do you want me to terminated the existing 540 subscription?
9:22 AMDavid Gates:Do you have the item number?
9:22 AMJake:not yet
9:22 AMJake:you can view this at www.jeppdirect.com
9:22 AMJake:on the left of that page, click Avidyne
9:23 AMJake:IFD540 is the first option
9:24 AMJake:you would have to click on Purchase to view pricing
9:24 AMDavid Gates:OK thank you.
David Gates
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:59am
Try calling Jepp and asking for Anthony Muller.  He was very helpful, seems to know the IFD 540 programs. I mentioned that other pilots were having trouble setting up the subscriptions and he suggested he could be asked for by name as he was doing *most* of the IFD signups.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 2:13pm
Steve,

I had some hope when you said that the numbers I posted in the first post look "screwed up".  Unfortunately the tables you posted matched exactly what Jepp told me, and what I posted originally.  

Here are a few of the problems I have with Jepp's pricing:
  • If the unit comes with terrain, I don't know why Jepp even offers it.  Obviously not all new owners are on this forum, and I suspect many of them may be buying the terrain not knowing that it is included with the box.  I'll put this one partially on Avidyne.  Avidyne could've/should've done a better job educating the consumers/dealers on what database products were available and what was already included.  And Avidyne should have done a better job with Jeppesen to make sure the Jepp sales folks knew what they were selling.  I think Avidyne should get with Jeppesen to see if they have sold anyone terrain, and if so get a refund for those folks.    
  • The bundle pricing isn't all that great because for one thing it includes terrain (which we don't need).  Maybe they should take $225 off of the bundle price and they might sell more bundles.
  • The "regular price" shown in the table you posted is complete BS.  It shows $4940 for the regular price and the bundled price of $1267.  As explained to me by the Jepp rep, I could get Navdata for 465, obstacles for 180, terrain for 225, and then add charts (including up to 4 devices) for 940.  This is a total of $1810, not $4940.  So, that bundle only saves $543, and your paying for terrain that you don't need.  What else is included in that bundle that is worth $3130?  Seriously, let's at least be honest about it.

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 3:30pm
I think they are counting the savings of paying for having 4 iPads in the cockpit all running their digital charts.  Obviously you would have paid full price for each one of those iPads.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 3:51pm
I got a bundle, but I had to ask.

I was NEVER offered terrain, either singly, or as part of a bundle.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:25pm
Okay, I'm nearing the finish line of my panel upgrade, and will need to buy a data subscription soon.  I want full US coverage, including charts.  I went back and reviewed Steve's post here for pricing data.

I think the two candidate options for me are:
$1267:  Full USA IFR navdata, obstacles, terrain, and Jepp charts for the IFD540 + up to 4 portable devices
$994:  Same as above, but charts are only for the IFD540--no portable devices are included.

So, $273 for the option to use Jepp charts on portable devices.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I just tried going to the JeppDirect website to see if I could find a bundle price that matched these numbers.  I entered my aircraft info (or as close as I could...I had to select my model from a pick list but there is no option for a Piper Cherokee 180, a Piper Challenger, or even a Piper Archer, so instead I told Jepp I had a 1973 Piper Archer III :rolleyes:).

I then selected full USA nav data for $940, then full USA IFR chart data for $465.  Nowhere (yet) did it say anything about portable devices, but the site did say something about "you may see different pricing depending on the combo of products you select, so continue on to see final pricing details".

OK, so I hit "Continue", and it takes me to my shopping cart for checkout.  Here's what I see.  Note the small icon in the upper right that says "Shopping Cart (2)", yet there is nothing listed.

I hate Jeppesen

I hate Jeppesen so much!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:51pm
All right.  After 17 minutes on the phone with Jeppesen, I have the IFD540 bundle that Steve told us about, for $994 + tax.  Tiffany was very friendly and helpful throughout the process.

And, in good ol' Jepp fashion, she warned me that I'd be getting 3 separate invoices from Jepp for the transaction (one for the full cost, one documenting the credit from my remaining G430 data plan, and one with the adjusted cost after the credit was applied!), because why waste your last opportunity to confuse and irritate your customers at the completion of a transaction?

Sigh....  

Edited by MysticCobra - 23 Jan 2015 at 3:54pm
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 4:02pm
I wound up with the $994 bundle as well, after a conversation with a well-informed sales droid.

How this company can have a website that looks like it was set up in 1993 in 2015 is beyond me. AFAIK, it is actually impossible to buy any package from them on the web, despite indications to the contrary.

Great product, horrible company.

Rolfe
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:03pm
You are right, you can't get to the bundle on the web despite what they claim.

I posted the product numbers and elements of the bundle in another thread, just for those struggling with this.

I was connected with a helpful and knowledgeable product service manager for Jepp who fixed things in minutes...

This should be a one button click, but nooooooo.
David Gates
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:56pm
I couldn't even get just a simple new navdata subscription (no bundle) on the web - had to call them.  The guy on the phone for Jepp  had an attitude of well-hidden disdain.

Edited by Royski - 23 Jan 2015 at 5:56pm
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:08pm
I'm installing a 540 and Aspen pro 1000. I called them both for data questions and if one or two subscriptions would be needed to properly update both. It sounded like they weren't sure if the data would cross sync. Has anyone installed these two units, and what did you find? I also have a backup garmin 696 which I believe needs its own separate data package from garmin. Thanks

John
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:47pm
If you don't have SV on the ASPEN, you don't need any navdata subscriptions. Anything the ASPEN needs during a flight it pulls down from the 540.

The 696 is completely separate for navdata and obstacles. Be sure you set up cross-fill from the 540 to the 696.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Feb 2015 at 9:50pm
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:52pm
I did order synthetic vision on the Aspen. I appreciate your help on this. Do you mean the 540 will fill the Aspen? I didn't know the 540 can fill the garmin 696.

Edited by Jrlumpp - 01 Feb 2015 at 10:03pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 11:03pm
Then, for the ASPEN (to get the full benefit of the SV) you will need:

It doesn't actually use the navdata, just the "social data" from this package, to fill out the visual details.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Feb 2015 at 11:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic