Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BEWARE OF DELAYS!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEWARE OF DELAYS!!!!
    Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 4:04pm
My IFD-540 arrived at the Avionics shop no 11/18, and my radio guy was told by Avidyne that the AXP-340 would ship on 11/24.  When it didn't arrive, they tried to get a tracking number, and just found out that it won't ship until Dec. 15!!  THREE WEEKS LATE!!!!  My radio guy is now going to put in a loaner KT-76A and then swap it out when the 340 arrives.  Needless to say, I'm pretty ticked off.  Hey Avidyne:  Don't give a date certain and then miss it by 3 weeks!    This may well cost me some money. 

At least Orest got his transponder.  woo-hoo... (seriously, I'm happy that someone is happy).
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 4:09pm
Well, as to the transponder. My unit actually won't be here until Monday, four days later than expected. It has to go through an intermediary, because it is an Int'l shipment. But the dealer had another 340 in house, so he is slipping that one in, so as not to delay me.

The 540 arrived as expected, today, but I think it was shipped direct from Avidyne.

Dealer also told me that Avidyne is short on 340's, and will be until after the Holidays.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Dec 2014 at 4:11pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 9:00pm
Not sure the 18th qualifies as the 2nd week of December unless Avidne works on Sundays, but my installation has slipped to next year due to the late delivery.  Hope there are no install issues because now it turns out I'm going to be bumping up against my annual which is going to be at another airport.

I'm totally confused about why the delivery schedule is so difficult.  I'm second month, but am receiving my delivery after people or are in later months.  The unit was certified in July, month one were getting deliveries in Sept, and month two is apparently the second half of December.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 9:30pm
That doesn't seem right, and raises questions about the production process Avidyne is employing.

Edited by ddgates - 05 Dec 2014 at 9:31pm
David Gates
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 10:58am

I purchased a 540 under the initial offer. In October with the first 540 in hand I purchased a second 540 under the free 340 offer. Before making this decision I had my avionics shop press hard for delivery dates on the 540. We were assured that the 540 was available and would ship within a week, which it did. We were told the 340 would ship a couple days later.

My Bonanza is at the shop scattered in a thousand pieces. We are now told that delivery of the 340 is 3 weeks out. "We had overwhelming response to the free trandsponder blah, blah blah........"

You can imagine my wife's response when I told her the plane would not be available for planned trips. "Didn't you learn your lesson the first time?"

Throughout the 3 year wait I gave Avidyne the benefit of the doubt. I believed they just got caught up in a certification process that was far more difficult than anticipated. It seemed they should have known what they were in for, but it can happen to the best of us. Now it seems we have a pattern. Say what it takes to get the sale, cash the check, deliver whenever. I am left to one of two conclusions. A) Avidyne is completely lacking in institutional control. They are completely lacking in the ability to plan coordinate and communicate. B) They are fibbers. It is impolite to call someone a liar in public.

I had looked forward to my first post on this site being a positive one. Picture of the new panel with a new G500, twin 540's, 340, and audio panel. You missed that chance Avidyne when you did not return my call yesterday as you promised.

It is painful to write this as I know the long term viability of the equipment I have purchased is dependent on the viability of Avidyne. Negative posts like this are detrimental to that long term viability.

Is there anyone in a position of authority listening?

be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 11:05am
Steve (AviJake), is the VP of Development, and is the one that keeps almost a 24x7 presence here. He has been away for two weeks, should be back on Monday. A number of other folks are filling in here on an ad hoc basis.

It is never pleasant to be AOG, I know, my plane was down for three months unexpectedly this summer (nothing to do with Avidyne).

I heard from my shop that the transponders are kind of scarce right now. I got an AXP340 installed with my IFD540, lucked out because my shop had a spare AXP340 in stock, otherwise would have been delayed as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Dec 2014 at 11:09am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 3:59pm
My plane's in the shop, ready for a panel overhaul, but installer is reluctant to start the work until the AXP340 is in-hand.  Was supposed to ship two weeks ago, then last week, now word is it'll ship this week.

Heard that before....
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by roy32jm roy32jm wrote:

Throughout the 3 year wait I gave Avidyne the benefit of the doubt. I believed they just got caught up in a certification process that was far more difficult than anticipated. It seemed they should have known what they were in for, but it can happen to the best of us. Now it seems we have a pattern. Say what it takes to get the sale, cash the check, deliver whenever. I am left to one of two conclusions. A) Avidyne is completely lacking in institutional control. They are completely lacking in the ability to plan coordinate and communicate. B) They are fibbers. It is impolite to call someone a liar in public.

Then you wonder how the difficultly of actually getting a deposit back (sometimes over a year and still waiting) plays into this.

I see they are trying to hire, but I'm thinking they need more than an intern to help out.  I did find one thing interesting on their job posting.

• Sales: Sells consultatively and makes recommendations to customers the advantages of Avidyne’s IFD540 Autopilot Flight Computer.

Any bets are on what the IFD autopilot flight computer is all about?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 9:20am
Yikes.  Will look into this first thing Monday morning.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 3:13pm
I am in the same boat -- my shop got me a deal on the transponder, was told by Avidyne that it had to ship at the same time as the IFD-540. Then, Avidyne shipped the 540 without the transponder. We are still trying to get some clarity on the matter, but in the meantime my install is stalled too.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 7:17pm
I'll learn more in the morning but it does seem that AXP340 transponders are oversold - they were way more popular than had been anticipated ("selling" free ones for a while does that I guess).

The production folks are working max effort to get their hands on enough AXP340s to satisfy demand but I bet it will be a while before they are all caught up.

This is not the case however with IFD540s.  The factory ramp up on those has been in overdrive for a few months and I think it's accurate to say delays with 540 shipments are not the case anymore.  If anyone thinks otherwise with the IFD540, PLEASE let me know ASAP.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 7:50pm
Steve,

I appreciate the update.

However, I suggest Avidyne get its communications straight with the installers. If Avidyne says the price is only good if both units are shipped together, and then doesn't ship them together with no further communication with the shop, what are we to think?

My shop was considering shipping the 540 back so Avidyne could ship both units back together. This seems a little backward, don't you think?

Maybe you can bring this problem up in an internal meeting?

Thanks,

Rolfe

Edited by rolfe_tessem - 07 Dec 2014 at 7:52pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:19pm
Understood.  We have a meeting set up for Monday afternoon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:53am

TRANSPONDER ARRIVED TUESDAY!!!!!!

Thank you Jared Butson.

On Monday Jared promised to do everything in his power to find a 340 to complete my install. The 340 arrived at the shop Tuesday.

Plane is to be picked up today.

be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

My plane's in the shop, ready for a panel overhaul, but installer is reluctant to start the work until the AXP340 is in-hand.  Was supposed to ship two weeks ago, then last week, now word is it'll ship this week.
Latest word is mine will ship next week.  Not sure what's different about that promise than the first three I heard, but the installer seems to believe it, 'cause he started ripping my plane apart on Monday.

There's a lot of work to be done, but I hope we don't get to the end of the list and are still waiting on the transponder (and audio panel, which won't ship until the transponder's available)...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic