Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AXP340 discrete air/ground switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AXP340 discrete air/ground switch
    Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 3:30pm
I saw this in an earlier (I think) IFD540 IM.

For those installations that use a combined IFD540 – AXP340 Mode S ADS-B transponder, the on-ground/in-air discrete signal wire may need to be added from the IFD540 tray to the
AXP340 tray as identified in Section 6.15.

I didn't see this paragraph in the current 540 IM.  

Is there a way for the 340 to automatically switch from ground to air mode other than a squat switch?  I was hoping I could get a signal from the 540 to do that function.  Maybe based on ground speed?

Jim
N2247X
Jim Elliott
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 3:34pm
Jim,

Standby up to a few days on that answer.  There is some internal confusion and some of the folks who can help answer this with complete certainty are away on travel.

There is a air/ground output discrete of the IFD540.    That was intended to be used for exactly that purpose (e.g. a device can use that output discrete to toggle a ground/air transition instead of needing a squat switch).   I need to make sure that was implemented correctly across the board.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 4:19pm
I can tell you from experience that I flew with another AviLive user with dual IFD540s and the AXP340 transponder.  His automatically switched from GND mode to ALT mode and was using the IFD540 to make that happen rather than a squat switch.

My installation powers up on ALT mode all the time, so I must not have some of that special wiring because our software configuration settings were the same.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 7:43pm
The installation manual shows P1001 pin 8 as a weight on wheels output.  On page 175 the manual shows this signal interfaced to the transponder as a squat switch.  My question is, can I parallel the outputs? Is the output a dry contact? In other words can I run pin 8 from each IFD to the same pin on the transponder?

Edited by tony - 21 Nov 2014 at 5:29am
jimelliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 1:16am
Great feedback.  Thanks guys!
Jim Elliott
jimelliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 1:30am
With information from Tony's post I found this in the IFD540 IM Table 54 regarding ADS-B transponder output.

Connect the appropriate input pin on the AXP340 with the
IFD5XX P1001 Pin 8 in order to get automatic on-ground / in-air
mode transition.

I will be sure to share this with my installer.  
Jim Elliott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic