Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TEC routes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TEC routes
    Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 2:42pm

If I remember correctly, when I was running the sim last night, I did not have the option to select a TEC route out of CMA.  Are TEC routes included in the 540 and if not, are they anticipated in a future release?

fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 8:50pm
Adding a question, I was attempting to program the CSTN41 from KFUL to KSAN on the sim.  The route part of the route has fix WOKRO.  Fix WOKRO is not in the sim database. I also wonder how to program a route like SIMON17.

Having TEC route available in the 540 would be great.

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 9:28am
I've never seen TEC routes published in a Jepp/Garmin database, so I don't expect the Jepp/Avidyne will have them either.

They aren't SID's or STAR's, but rather instrument flight plans that are pre-determined by the FAA for specific airport pairs (e.g., Santa Barbara to Long Beach IFR will always produce the same clearance, no matter what you file).
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 11:22am
No TEC routes planned at this time because as SB Jim notes, they don't exist in the Jepp database.

Maybe someday, but no time soon.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:11pm

I just need clarification.

TEC routes are T-routes? 

because I can't find any T-routes or RNAV waypoints in the sim.

Edited by tony - 28 Dec 2014 at 8:28pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm
Negative, nothing to do with each other.

A TEC (Tower Enroute Control) route is a canned flight plan, and you fly it controlled only by TRACONs, no CENTERs. It can contain waypoints, VORs, VOR intersection points, airways, etc. The purpose is to speed and standardize clearances in dense traffic areas. There are a variety of TEC routes in the NY/Boston area, and in SoCal.

T-routes are LO airways based purely on RNav waypoints. Other than not being based on VORs, they are similar to Victor airways.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Dec 2014 at 8:36pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:52pm

Do me a favor, would you please plan a flight around Atlanta and tell me if you can see the T-routes then?

something like going from KJZP to KCTJ and fly on the T-293.  Can you plan that?

I can see the victor airways but not the T-routes

p.s. oh I forgot to tell you, I'm on the sim.....

Edited by tony - 28 Dec 2014 at 9:06pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:59pm
T-routes (airways) are not necessarily present everywhere, yet. That is especially so in the simulator, as the data is older.

But, check out the SkyVector.com LO, or just a paper LO chart. There are multiple blue T-routes, almost like a ring around KATL.

One example:  RKMRT T292 JACET.

And actually, that one is in the simulator.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Dec 2014 at 9:03pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:04pm

:)

That's how this started.  I was looking at skyvector with the world LO overlay and I wanted to plan the flight using the T-routes but the simulator didn't give me the option.  Then I tried to type in one of the waypoints and the simulator didn't know what I was talking about.  If I typed in one waypoints defined by a VOR, then the simulator knew it. 

You think this might just be a sim anomaly? 

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:09pm
T293 is in the simulator's database, and I can insert it in a flightplan.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:12pm

Thanks.  Now I know its operator error.

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:24pm
Last week I flew from NY to Maine and flew T295 in my flight plan so no issues on the IFD540.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:18am

So I reloaded the app on my iPad twice.  Each time when it starts I get a caution in the alert window.  It says " Configuration Error IFD Requires Service"

Maybe that's my problem?

glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:33pm
Hey Tony, I did the latest Apple update and reloaded the sim several times but still get the Configuration error message in alert window. It is my opinion that the sim does not operate normally with the message displayed as Steve has eluded to in earlier posts. I have experienced navigational issues as well as system lock-up on most occasions since the error message has shown up. I reloaded the PC version at this point. 
GDC25
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:51pm

Would you do me a favor, please.  Enter in KJZP as the origin and see if you can select one of the way points on T293 or T297.  then see if after that you can select one of the T-routes.

I have no problem selecting nello and then grabbing a Victor airway but I can't seem to grab a T route. 

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:00pm
Here you go ...

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Dec 2014 at 6:01pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:11pm

I don't get that.  :(

Orest, Are you using the iPad sim?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:16pm
No, no ithingies here. That was on the PC simulator.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:33pm

Steve?  is there a difference......

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:34pm

I wish I could just try this in real life..... I think I got another few weeks yet. 

Delivery issues and the installer is behind. 

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:36pm
Orest, you really should get an ithingy.  It evolutionary....  :)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:43pm
Well, we are resolutely Apple-free, and will remain so.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" tablet (android) in the cockpit. Better hardware, at a better price.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:03pm
you made me smile...OK, be that way
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:08pm
It is a good way to be!

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:22am
I don't know off the top of my head if there is a difference between PC variant and iThingy variant.  I'll check it out in the next day or two.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic