Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

software version 10.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: software version 10.1
    Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 11:40am
Steve,

I wouldn't suggest you post a target date, you'll just end up getting hammered!

But, could you post, keeping it up to date perhaps as it develops, the new features/fixes that 10.1 might be adding -- or at least features that are now fairly definitely going to be included, and can be revealed?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 11:43am
I understand the request.  I'll evaluate that again in early Nov when we go pencils down on all the development.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 12:05pm
Can you tell us that after 10.1 (or any new release is finished) will all future production boxes come with the latest software by default?  Are later deliveries going to get more feature rich software?  If future releases contain new features, will new production boxes get these upgrades as standard while in-fleet boxes have to pay for upgrades?  Are pre-purchasers tied to specific software versions?

The reason I ask is because of difficulty scheduling installation, some people may not take delivery when their unit becomes available.  It would be nice that when the unit is delivered that it has the latest and greatest software so we don't have to worry about installation + software updates.  Also, I'm wondering if I may have to pay for new features before I even install my unit.  That may not matter if no additional cost features are planned to be released any time soon, but it would be great if you had more up your sleeves.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 12:19pm

Can't find the thread right this minute, but something similar was discussed just around the time of release of the IFD540.

Software updates post release are likely to be a part of the environment, some completing the package, and some featuring charge up options.  At the time I argued that updates which represent the standard IFD540 version as sold at that time should be "no charge" to we early purchasers.  Those which represent options for which a de novo buyer would be upcharged at the time of their purchase would be fair game for Avidyne to charge us as well.

They didn't reveal any policy on this, though.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 12:53pm
Dr Gates is right in that there is a thread on that topic and he and others kept asking.  I thought I did answer it but happy to paraphrase it again here.....

Each release will be evaluated on a case by case basis.  That being said, there are some general guidelines:

1.  Bug fix releases are on us.  Our mistake, our responsibility to fix.   We did that for Release 10.0.1.0 and will shortly pump out Release 10.0.2.0. as examples.

2.  Releases with feature enhancements/improvements and modest new feature adds are typically made available at no charge.

3.  Big feature adds that add whole new functionality, especially functionality that was not publicly disclosed at product announce have the possibility/likelihood of some modest charge.   We will make every effort to make those optional adds truly optional.  If you want all the "normal" stuff but don't want the "jet assist pack" option, you can get the release without the optional jet pack feature and the charge that would incur.

I'd like to think these guidelines actually meet David's goal listed above.

And to follow-up on the earlier question, yes, when a unit ships from the factory, it goes out with latest/greatest software.    This should provide a mechanism for previous shipments and later shipments to have the same software, or opportunity for the same software.

Make sense?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 1:11pm
Thanks for spelling this out, but I think the main point is still not totally clear.  To clarify, lets throw out some unknown feature such as built in AHRS or something similar allowing users to install an DFC90 without an Aspen.

If such a feature were to be added to the standard feature set for future full price 540 purchases meaning that feature is not broken out on the retail price sheet such as a 16 watt transmitter or grey bezel, then this feature would be made available to previous purchasers at no cost?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 1:50pm
Short answer = Yes*.

* - Longer answer = Yes but.   "But" needs to added to cover unanticipated decisions or implementations that we may have to use for various reasons (yeah, I know how open-ended that may be interpreted as).   I think your cited example, adding or taking advantage of a built-in AHRS would clearly be broken out as an optional add on a retail price sheet and therefore resulted in the qualified "Yes".     I don't think it's reasonable to assume that the standard feature set on an IFD540 8 years from now is an automatic backward freebie for those who bought on day 1.  It might be but there is no guarantee.  To me, an analog is going to Apple today to buy the latest iMac computer  and then expecting Apple to upgrade my machine for free 8 years later no questions asked.    Am I missing your point?

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 2:07pm
I agree that a full price purchase today shouldn't expect standard features 8 years from now.  I agree with your guidelines for new purchase.

We don't prepay years in advance for Apple products, so that is where additional expectations come in.  Maybe I'm missing it, but in your guidelines above, I don't see the difference between pre-buy and post cert buyers - I certainly think there should be.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I understand the request.  I'll evaluate that again in early Nov when we go pencils down on all the development.

Thanks.

* Orest

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:06pm
While it would sure be nice, I don't think pre-buyers should expect different new-feature treatment from full-price buyers once all the pre-buyers' orders have been filled.

However, all the features in the box (not price sheet options) when the last pre-buyer gets his unit should also be available to all pre-buyers at no extra charge. From Steve's last message, that is what I expect to be the case.

Example: If a month 7 pre-buyer gets his unit mid-2015 (likely, if month 1 pre-buyer units are being scheduled through early December), and by then the wifi/bluetooth capability is activated as standard on a new unit, then all pre-buyers should be able to upgrade to it at no charge.

Vince
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Dr Gates is right in that there is a thread on that topic and he and others kept asking.  I thought I did answer it but happy to paraphrase it again here.....

Each release will be evaluated on a case by case basis.  That being said, there are some general guidelines:

1.  Bug fix releases are on us.  Our mistake, our responsibility to fix.   We did that for Release 10.0.1.0 and will shortly pump out Release 10.0.2.0. as examples.

2.  Releases with feature enhancements/improvements and modest new feature adds are typically made available at no charge.

3.  Big feature adds that add whole new functionality, especially functionality that was not publicly disclosed at product announce have the possibility/likelihood of some modest charge.   We will make every effort to make those optional adds truly optional.  If you want all the "normal" stuff but don't want the "jet assist pack" option, you can get the release without the optional jet pack feature and the charge that would incur.

I'd like to think these guidelines actually meet David's goal listed above.

And to follow-up on the earlier question, yes, when a unit ships from the factory, it goes out with latest/greatest software.    This should provide a mechanism for previous shipments and later shipments to have the same software, or opportunity for the same software.

Make sense?

Jake, that's exactly what I understood and what I think is fair.

Some features may be provisioned but not activated, and for the short future anyway, I think those of us who took delivery of a V 1.0 box should be kept whole as you said.

Thanks - and FWIW I am looking forward to revisions and am not averse to paying for things worth paying for as it were.

I don't think the Apple analogy holds with your intent, however; I have had my Mac for years, and new software versions which utilize present hardware are no charge; i.e., unless I am very forgetful I have gone from Mountain Lion, to the intermediate version of the OS, to Mavericks without charge.

The paradigm about an AHRS would require new hardware, unless there is more cloaked than we know about.  I'd love to see an FMS that drives an AP directly, but not sure that IFD540 has all the necessary components, including a heading system.

David

Edited by ddgates - 11 Oct 2014 at 4:02pm
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic