Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Troubling tactics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Troubling tactics
    Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:48am
Quoting from the transponder thread ...

Quote ... as Garmin has told their dealers if they install a 540 in a garmin rack they will strip them of their dealership.

Troubling, but I suppose not surprising.

OTOH, it suggests Garmin is seriously worried about the 540, finally coming on stream. That might be a good thing.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Sep 2014 at 10:52am
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:03am
My 540 is a clean install so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would highly suggest that Avidyne cover the install cost to swap the rack if it comes down to this.  Plug and play was the primary selling point for this unit for many people not to mention the #1 advertised feature.  I suppose that also solves the other tray issue as well.  At this point, maybe a public statement that if things get bad, the 540 purchaser will not be responsible for any costs above plug and play, that way there is some leeway for other avenues.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:14am
My 540 replaces a 430W, so I need a new tray as well, so it won't affect me directly.

If it really is true, at face value, it will likely come back to bite Garmin. Installing new equipment in old competitors racks has been normal practice for years, and that includes some Garmin products that do the very same thing.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Sep 2014 at 11:31am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:06pm
Sounds a lot like Big G is running a protection racket.  "Nice shop you got here, guy.  Be a shame if someone were to misplace your dealership paperwork, wouldn't it?  You know how to make sure we don't misplace your dealership paperwork, don't you?"
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:21am
Has anyone actually seen a letter from Garmin about this?  What exactly does it say?

It is interesting that Garmin would go after putting other company's equipment in their trays now.  PS Engineering has been doing this with the GMA 340 trays for years.
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 4:22pm

I guess technically the aircraft owner could slide the 540 in under his authority as the owner of the aircraft.  The shop would only then need to hook up any additional wires for utility and possibly install a new GPS antenna.  So the shop is not installing the 540 in the tray.

GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:10am
Originally posted by 1964-m20e 1964-m20e wrote:

I guess technically the aircraft owner could slide the 540 in under his authority as the owner of the aircraft. ...  So the shop is not installing the 540 in the tray.

Good point.  If the IFD540 is truly a slide-in replacement for my Garmin 530W, then why do I need to involve my avionics shop at all?  Or will Avidyne only ship our pre-purchased units to a dealer?

Why can't I simply slide the Garmin unit out and the Avidyne unit in, configure and test the new unit, and make a logbook entry myself?  Theoretically, my installation could be just as simple as that!

Mike
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:34am

because of part 43.1(c)(30)(i ). 

I do not believe the FAA classifies replacing the primary nav instrument as preventative maintenance. 

FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:38am
Originally posted by GMSutton GMSutton wrote:

Good point.  If the IFD540 is truly a slide-in replacement for my Garmin 530W, then why do I need to involve my avionics shop at all?  Or will Avidyne only ship our pre-purchased units to a dealer?

Why can't I simply slide the Garmin unit out and the Avidyne unit in, configure and test the new unit, and make a logbook entry myself?  Theoretically, my installation could be just as simple as that!

Mike

Factors related to owner maintenance of certificated aircraft may be an issue for some.  I asked this same question (in regard to folks like myself who will be installing in experimental category aircraft and have experience installing such avionics) just a week or 2 ago.  Jake said I would hear from someone with Avidyne on the matter but I have not.  Of course it it early for me waiting on the IFD440.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:46am
Guys,

The IFD 540 has to be configured for your aircraft.

This is typically done through an installation menu not normally accessed by end users.
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:17am
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Guys,

The IFD 540 has to be configured for your aircraft.

This is typically done through an installation menu not normally accessed by end users.

Not too hard to do, and in some cases it yields better results when done by the end user.  One example is the squelch in my current 430 must be accessed through the installation menu.  I have found that it best tweaked with benefit of a flight or two which the installer will not do in my plane.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic