Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Install Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Install Pictures
    Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:18pm

Here are a few pictures from my aircraft.

http://www.kyroconsulting.com/ifd540_pics/day_1.jpg

http://www.kyroconsulting.com/ifd540_pics/dusk_1.jpg

http://www.kyroconsulting.com/ifd540_pics/dusk_2.jpg

http://www.kyroconsulting.com/ifd540_pics/night.jpg

Yes, I know my panel looks torn up. The old Argus buttons are my IDENT and Com Swap buttons we just forgot to put new labels on them yesterday.

The altitude preselector was moved and a used GPSS was installed where the Argus used to be. Had a King KY197 (Com 3) and King KR87 ADF removed and swapped the GMA340 for the PMA450.  Wired the GPS output to the 406ELT and installed all new CBs on the avionics bus.

There's exactly the right amount of space for another 540 in place of my 430W.

My very first impressions where how bright and clear the screen is. The PC app and the iPad app don't do the unit justice either. Its very responsive and extremely bright in sunlight.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 8:49am
Looking real good!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Sep 2014 at 8:50am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 9:12am
Very nice!!

Is that weather or terrain in the middle two photos?  If weather, what equipment is providing those data to the 540?
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:31am
Beautiful!

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:09pm
Funny, I did exactly like you - removed an Argus 5000 and repurposed the two switches to remote ident and comm swap.
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 9:30pm
Just got my Piper Seneca II out of the shop today:

Before

During

After

All the rest of the pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flyboy/15509657172/

Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 10:35pm
Beauty, a twin 540 setup is really dazzling.

* Orest

helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 3:08pm
Here is a little cleaner photo of my setup. I think I am going to have a 0' to 2" slant panel created as the Seneca panel is pretty wide and the far 540 is not the easiest to use like it is set up now!

Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 6:26pm
Looks very sharp! :-)
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:15pm
Excellent, nice install.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 6:54pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:14pm
Looking good! Just missing a 440, I presume.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:37pm
My final pics.

Well, I have been meaning to drop by the hangar and get some framing-suitable pics of the new panel, given that it is now "finished" -- no more AMU left! The IFD540 was the last critical piece. There is a TAS605 and WX-500 feeding the ASPEN & IFD540, as well.

I brought a tripod and my good camera, killed the lights in the hangar, fiddled around the seats/seat backs so I could get a good position, and then played with the various illuminations, and the yoke position. The "bright" panel shot is just with a flashlight directed at the headliner! A delay shutter for the time exposure, held my breath, and there you go ... 

Aircraft is a Piper Dakota.

It is even more fun when outside of the hangar!

* Orest

P.S.  Before picture ...

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Mar 2015 at 7:45pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 5:23am
yes, I borrowed a 430 for the picture
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:55pm
Very handsome panel, Tony!  I really like the lighter color compared to the old panel.

Orest, yours turned out very well also.  Do you have a "before"?

Edited by MikeK - 30 Mar 2015 at 5:56pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:11pm
I'll join the party and share my before-and-after photos, from a Piper Challenger:

Before

After
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:05pm
It's amazing what a new light colored flat panel will do to help the airplane look like it was manufactured this century rather than the 70s.  What a big difference replacing those plastic overlays does.  Great job, it looks very, very nice.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by MikeK MikeK wrote:

Orest, yours turned out very well also.  Do you have a "before"?

Added.

* Orest

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 5:51pm
Roltman, I see you have the Garmin 330 txp.  Are you planning to see if you can do ADSB out combining that with your 540, or with the older G430?  Or neither?
PH
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by phkmn phkmn wrote:

Roltman, I see you have the Garmin 330 txp.  Are you planning to see if you can do ADSB out combining that with your 540, or with the older G430?  Or neither?

Neither, I've already installed a 2nd IFD540 and a 340 transponder.

Silently waiting for ADS-B out certification and MLB100....
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:24pm
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:25pm

Commander 114TC - N623TC - Homebase EHRD (Rotterdam)

dual IFD540 + TWX670 + TAS605 + MLX770 (when ready) + Aspen Pro 1000synvis & Aspen EFD 1000 synvis + Insight Avionics G4 + ADL120

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11923268/DSC02231.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11923268/DSC02234.JPG

Edited by wsh - 02 Apr 2015 at 5:34pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:55pm
wsh,

Lovely panel. Curious as to why you put a second/backup ASPEN on the right. Do you often fly with a second pilot?

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:57pm
wsh,

Lovely panel, and a great plane, the 114. Curious as to why you put a second/backup ASPEN on the right. Do you often fly with a second pilot?

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 6:03pm
BTW, folks, to have an image embed in your post just enclose it like so:

{IMG}http://www.yoursite.com/picture.jpg{/IMG}

Substitute [  ] for { }, I had to use the braces to have it show up in the message.

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 9:39pm
Ahh, I always liked those turbo commanders, they are cool sturdy looking airplanes.  Your panel looks great and it looks like you have a very well equipped aircraft complete with TKS.
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 1:56pm
We have two Aspen PFDs too (pix when we finish the Avidyne install work next month).  My wife flies as well and I like being able to have the same features on both sides of our Saratoga.  

We set ours up so either PFD can drive the autopilot for redundancy.  The resulting nav/hdg source matrix is a little complex but it gives us lots of options.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

We have two Aspen PFDs too (pix when we finish the Avidyne install work next month).  My wife flies as well and I like being able to have the same features on both sides of our Saratoga. 

Cool!

* Orest

wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 3:53pm
Tx

Yes I do reguarly fly with a co pilot (I like the company).

The aspen is a bit of a mistake.. Its a pfd + erd with backup functions. However, I thought it would be slaved to the same information source and be able to drive the autopilot as well. It does neither.. So often there is a slight difference in data (even though it has been recalibrated) and it cannot drive the autopilot (not allowed according to stc).

I also find the screen a fraction to small and especially the heading bug is very hard to follow.

Hindsight I would have preferred the g500

I have no regrets whatsoever about the ifd540 .. Especially in combination with the tas605 ( and hopefully with the mlx770 soon)

Edited by wsh - 04 Apr 2015 at 3:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic