Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Feedback on the IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Feedback on the IFD540
    Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:12pm
As I'm sure you're well aware, Avidyne has received an exceptional amount of feedback with respect to the field roll out of the IFD540.  

One of the big areas centers around delivery dates.    Our sales/service crew are working their way through a mountain of backlog and trying to contact each individual high in the queue to arrange specific shipping dates/plans.  They are slowly but surely digging their way out of the giant backlog.   We know there are still "Month 1" folks who haven't been contacted and they will try to get to you soon.

Another big topic of feedback centers around the public offer for a heavily discounted transponder for new customers.   That has rubbed some folks the wrong way and a general ask is for Avidyne to do something to protect the early mover advantage that many of the pre-buy folks sought.  Without diving into the specifics here on the forum, I will say a few thingsā€¦.. a short time prior to cert, we moved from a customer direct model back to the dealer network sales model.  That means all quotes now must come from the dealer  (Avidyne --> dealer --> customer).  Of course Avidyne deals directly with the dealers but we're intent on working with the dealer to try and accommodate your specific concerns/asks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:25pm
Hello Jake,

It's hard for anyone to disagree with that.   

:-)

For what it's worth my plan is to inquire about any bundling opportunities when Avidyne calls to arrange a delivery date. I'll certainly ask the local shop as well.

As I mentioned earlier I already bet on Avidyne once, I could be motivated to bet some more.

Regards, Jim
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 2:07pm
Steve:

As I wander through this process aimlessly, I observe the two 540s I am installing is a new trick to my shop (which does largely brand G stuff).

I note that there are interesting value adds that the shop can do.  Those mentioned by Gring (new alias - "The Pioneer") include
1.  com swap yoke mount switch (to audio panel)
2.  TXP ident yoke mount switch  (to TXP)
3.  frequency swap yoke mount switch (to IFD)
4.  connectors to audio panel to provision stby monitor feature when activated.

And there may be more.

Are these called out in the Install Manual?  I get the impression that those currently installing are trailblazing through these issues.

Any way to simplify <i.e., enlightenment from Avidyne command central>?

Thanks

DMG
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:29pm
Ohh, I like the tag "Command Central".

Yes, those are all in the IM but arguably, well disguised.   In my test airplane, I have all 4.   I couldn't care less personally about #2 but I'm addicted to #1 and #3.

We'll discuss internally this week (we meet every Tues and Thurs on these kinds of topics) and see if we can improve the clarity of some of those options/recommendations.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 8:46pm
Steve:

Thanks.  My install will need the enlightenment this week.

N.B. "Command central" isn't _always_ complimentary <at least in my corporation!>

Please advise.
David Gates
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 4:21pm
If the goal is to placate the advanced purchasers and/or to drive more attach sales the obvious answer is to offer rebates or other offers to people who buy an Avidyne audio panel or transponder from a dealer and install it at the same time as the pre-purchased IFD.

A rebate should be enough to drive additional sales while being less than the discount the people who pre-purchased the panel or transponder got.

Someone else suggested you could extend the warranty for those of us who have been waiting years and that would be nice but of course you have to consider the cost to Avidyne.

You could also give away something, like an exclusive pre-purchaser t-shirt.  If you do that you could have the sign-up on the web and include a survey where you collect info such as how the installation went, what equipment was removed, and what equipment is now in the stack.  Marketing people love that kind of information.

If you provide t-shirts make them good quality.  There's nothing quite like a group of fat old pilots wearing ratty shirts with your corporate logo on them...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 5:20pm
Quote Someone else suggested you could extend the warranty for those of us who have been waiting years and that would be nice but of course you have to consider the cost to Avidyne.

Actually, pre-ship buyers do get an extra year's warranty already, two years total I believe.

* Orest

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 6:18pm
I thought everyone got that if they registered their IFD.  Is it just the early buyers?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 6:42pm
IIRC, there is an automatic additional year add-on for the pre-buyers, and there is a third year available of an after warranty coverage plan available "free" if you register and do a survey.

For the non pre-buyers, they get one year, and the same additional one year of after warranty coverage (total of two together) if they do the registration and survey.

I may be off by a year, I'm sure Steve can give us the full skinny.

* Orest

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 7:13pm
So we get an extra year of warranty for our early purchase.  That seems reasonable.  And they already have a survey?  Cool.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 12:55am
I don't know about y'all, but I already got my t-shirt.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 8:35am
I missed out on a t-shirt???
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 9:27am
As for warranty questions:

Pre-buy people get 2 years + 1 additional year (total of 3 years) if they register and sign up for AeroPlan on myAvidyne.com

All other customers get 1 year of warranty + 2 additional years (total of 3 years) if they sign up for AeroPlan.

As for T-shirts, I have no idea but I have a few ratty t-shirts I can donate.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:11am
Some Avidyne folks drove through the North 40 at Oshkosh last year throwing out IFD-540 t-shirts.  The fact that I was a preebie had nothing to do with it.  I do like the shirt, though.  I'm not sure if they gave any out this year - if so, I missed them. 
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:46am
I was kidding about the t-shirt.  I just meant to point out that there were ways that Avidyne could encourage the pre-buy folks to purchase additional equipment while protecting their dealers.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:44am
Note that the "free" add-on Aeroplan year(s) are optional. Aeroplan stirred some initial controversy with its required waiver. I don't know if that has been amended, or if there is a pricier Aeroplan Plus, without the waiver. Buyer be aware.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Sep 2014 at 9:17am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We'll discuss internally this week (we meet every Tues and Thurs on these kinds of topics) and see if we can improve the clarity of some of those options/recommendations.

Install is in progress, Steve.  Can you give me the monitor pinouts please?

Thanks.

David
David Gates
GRINGODS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINGODS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:09pm
OWNER B58G
I upgraded my 530W to IFD540 last week and couldn't be happier. I have Skywatch Traffic 497 (ARINC) and mid continent switching unit. Took less than an hour to install and program. The automation, switching, display and information is very intuitive. It is simple to use and yet as complex as one could imagine.

The sales team/tech support have been very easy to reach and any questions have been answered immediately. I believe Avidyne wants their units to interact with other companies products. The company has evolved into something quite spectacular....immediate response, state of the art products in the IVD540, and more features to be added - incredible support and the ability to do data downloads and analysis instantaneously. This should save AOG. situations and rule out any malfunctions caused by the box itself.

If the above does not reflect it, let me say I'm thrilled with the upgrade. No, I don't work for Avidyne, and I paid full price for the IVD540 - just a very satisfied customer.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:19pm
Good to hear.

* Orest

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:44am
Recently an acquaintance mentioned a latency concern regarding the 540 in terms of the time it took after pressing a button to see the result.

Any truth to this? Or is this just baseless hearsay?

Jim
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 10:50am

Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Recently an acquaintance mentioned a latency concern regarding the 540 in terms of the time it took after pressing a button to see the result.

Jim

IMHO, it'd be baseless hearsay with my unit.  The iPad/Computer app takes much longer to respond than the real unit.

Its response time was one of the surprises I mentioned when I first used it.

The only lag I can recall is a very slight lag when first selecting an airway during on mapped FMS page during flight planning phase prior to selecting waypoints on the airway, but it's on the order of 1/10th or 2/10ths of a second. 

I only have a about 10hrs with it thus far, but I think I've thrown almost everything I can at it on including using the Jepp IFR charts to complex airway routes.  Every button press is instant from what I've seen, much better than my GNS430W where I can push its buttons faster than it can respond.

Edited by roltman - 03 Oct 2014 at 10:51am
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 12:31pm

Thanks.

Jim

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Jim

Wow. What an absolute pleasure to fly with. I had my data blocks set up on the ramp in 5" including my flight plan home. A couple of other interesting things we noticed vs the Garmin 750 they had in their showroom. When you move the map on the 540 using the touch screen the map follows as you move your finger. The GTN 750 lagged, the map would go blank, then after it caught up to your finger it would take some time to fill in. The Garmin had a slow processor, less memory, and/or inefficient code in its software. The other thing I noticed was that the Avidyne 540 satellite reception was not affected at all by transmitting on my KX155. Under the same circumstances, the Garmin 530W would drop satellite signal strength completely then some would return to a lower level. The Avidyne is obviously of higher quality, shielded better and an overall better design.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 1:21am
Phoenix and back today with my new 540. I can't believe how nice it is to fly with. I had my ipad and sectionals along, but didnt need either. The 540 really reduces workload for both VFR and IFR flight and the need for an ipad or hard copies of charts. I have flown Collins, Honeywell, UNS and the Sperry/Honeywell and GE/Smith Industries systems in numerous corporate jets and Boeings and the Avidyne 540 is by far one of the easiest and most productive units to fly with......simply awesome!

Only issues I had, which may be operator error, were 1. Couldnt get any data to display in the VSR block, and 2. I couldn't find in the Map setup where to change the orientation of the map display. I would like it to be track up vs North up.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 8:46am
Joe Jet,

Good to hear.   We're getting a lot of private feedback along the same lines.  (We do however have a few challenged installs going on with various problems that we're working through).

As for your issues:

1.  If I recall, you don't have any baro source connected to the 540, right?   That would include units like the Aspen PFD, Garmin G500, and stand alone air data computers.   If that's a correct memory, then no VSR data populated is expected for your installation for this initial release.  We've added the ability to populate items looking for baro input even when no baro input exists by using GPS altitude data in an upcoming software release (Release 10.1).  But for now, no dice without baro input.  (See page 4-24 of the pilot guide).

2.  Sounds like a little mixing and matching going on here.   You have two controls for map orientation.  The first is via the User Options page (see page 4-36 of the pilot guide) where you get to choose between Heading Up and Track Up.   Once that is set, then use the push action of the bottom right knob when on the Map page (see page 3-2 of the pilot guide) where you get to cycle between Heading or  Track Up 360 (the heading vs track was set in the first step), Heading or Track Up Arc view, and North Up.   That should do the trick.     I couldn't tell from the write up if you want Heading Up vs North Up or Track Up vs North Up.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 10:43am
Steve,
can you disclose if 10.1 will improve the support for Avidyne remote boxes, notably TWX670 and MLX770?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 11:31am
I'm afraid it will not.  There will be support in Rel 10.1 for remote boxes, just not the two you're asking about.   (And for clarification, I presume the TWX support you're asking about is enhanced colored strike mode like the avatar you're using?   Basic TWX support exists already in the shipping 540s).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 11:32am
Re map view options.

I was looking in the map setup not user options area. Fortunately my wife did not put ios 8.0.x on her ipad mini so I was able to find it on the simulator. Since I have no AHRS or flux input to my 540 I would imagine I do not have the option for heading up just like no data for VSR. We are flying to Phoenix again Monday so ill try it all out in the actual aircraft then. Thanks for the manual references, but trying to stay out of the books; get enough of that in my professional flying. The ease of use and intuitiveness allowing the performance of so many complex navigation and flight management tasks makes the IFD540 a really enjoyable experience and is a testament to the well thought out design and effort that has gone into its production. I feel like a kid with a new toy.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 11:45am
No problem.  

And as a sidenote, the iOS 8 version of the 540 app was finally approved by Apple a few days ago and is available for download.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 11:57am
OK, so it will be some time before I retire my EX600.... was playing with the thought of replacing it with a second IFD540. Especially the MLX would greatly benefit from the QUERTY entry....
Guess asking the question on Radar (ART2000/2100) support is even further off then.
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 9:10pm
Very exciting times indeed....

Picked up my Seneca today from Howard Aviation at KPOC. Dual IFD540s, APX340 and TAS605A installed. Could not be more thrilled. I have been an Avidyne user for many, many years (Cirrus x 3 and Piper Meridian). I am very excited about the 540s.

So I played with my simulator for a lot of hours trying to figure out my data block setup that worked best for me, playing around with settings, etc. I thought I had it all wired, but then I didn't...

I had the same two issues as Joe Jet (Trackup vs North Up, and VSR). I figured out the Trackup issue in flight, and the VSR issue once I hit the manual and started looking. My bird has no glass, so no baro out to the 540s yet. It is due to go back in for another round of updates including ADC200 air/data computer. That will fix my VSR issue.

I do have a couple of questions that I thought I would throw out there, and please don't flame me. I am a Garmin user by necessity having the GTN750s in my CJ and Helicopter, so everything I know comes form the 750 world right now.

I entered a flight plan into my 540 to fly from KPOC to KCRQ [KPOC - PRADO - TANNR - KCRQ], then I plugged in the ILS 24 approach to KCRQ with the HOMLY transition. I don't do VTF since it wipes out the waypoints prior to the FAF to which we often get routed to at the last minute (ESCON, WUNUB).

In the GTN750 once I did this, I could delete the unneeded waypoints that were part of the approach selected but in the 540 I noticed I can not. I freely admit that this may be user error having flown only one hour behind the actual boxes in VFR. 

The problem that I see with this is that the 540 assumes that I am going to fly the flight plan entered including the approach with all waypoints. I also notice I get the "Gap In Route" notification enroute as well as in the flight plan. Highlighting this gap and removing it now shows a flight plan that does not reflect what I really want to do - ie has all of those pesky waypoints inside the approach that I don't really need. This throws off the flight plan since it is basing its times, etc on the flyby of the waypoints.

A perfect example of this is my flight from KDVT to KCRQ. This is the clearance that I received: 

KDVT - BLH - V64 - TRM - ESCON - ILS24.KCRQ

The flight plan as entered in the 540 looks like this:

KDVT - BLH - V64 - TRM [APPROACH: JLI - GENTA - RECCO - ZANIG - ESCON - WUNUB - CIDRU - RW24] [Missed Approach]

What I want to be able to do is reach into the approach and delete the following waypoints:

JLI - GENTA - RECCO - ZANIG

So....I guess my question is this...how do you delete waypoints that are inside an approach? Am I missing something or does the capability simply not exist. Is this something that can be added as a request or am I just the only one in the world that may want to do it this way as opposed to simply doing a Direct to ESCON once I hit TRM?

Edited by helojunkie - 11 Oct 2014 at 9:25pm
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 10:05pm
Richard,

I have also been playing with the sim but my plane is still in the shop so I have not used it real world yet.  Like you, I always like to enter the full approach so all waypoints are present.  I have been using 430s.  If it turns out ATC does give me VTF, I simply activate that leg of the approach (you can do this on the 540 also by clicking on the FAF in the plan and selecting activate leg with a button on the bottom left.  If instead they give you direct to one of the IAFs, then just go direct to that fix.  This is the same thing, I do on my 430s now.  I hope this helps.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 10:59pm
I also have a question from using the sim. If you want to get info about an airport not on your plan from the info tab, how can I search for it. When I am on the info tab and click the search button, it only gives me an option to search for airports by their city. If I only know the identifier but not the city name, is their a way to search for it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Richard,

I have also been playing with the sim but my plane is still in the shop so I have not used it real world yet.  Like you, I always like to enter the full approach so all waypoints are present.  I have been using 430s.  If it turns out ATC does give me VTF, I simply activate that leg of the approach (you can do this on the 540 also by clicking on the FAF in the plan and selecting activate leg with a button on the bottom left.  If instead they give you direct to one of the IAFs, then just go direct to that fix.  This is the same thing, I do on my 430s now.  I hope this helps.

Teeth6 - 

Thanks, I do the same thing now but my issue was one of flight plan continuity not really functionality. I realize that we can go "direct" to say ESCON in this case, or activate a specific leg, but all of the waypoints that I will not ever use are still part of the flight plan and requires manual intervention from me to get it to go to the right place. 

I guess as I said in my earlier post I was hoping I was missing something whereby I could just delete any waypoints that I did not want/need in my flight plan regardless if there were considered part of an approach/transition.  

Did another 5 hours behind the 540s it yesterday flying to Phoenix and back, I am getting the hang of it for sure, they are great boxes.
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 9:30am

I also have a question from using the sim. If you want to get info about an airport not on your plan from the info tab, how can I search for it. When I am on the info tab and click the search button, it only gives me an option to search for airports by their city. If I only know the identifier but not the city name, is their a way to search for it?

Hi Teeth6 - 

In the simulator and on the actual box, I select FMS => INFO, then touch the Identifier box at the very top and enter in any airport I want and the information comes right up. Are you trying to search by something other than the ICAO airport ID?
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 10:12am
The IFD540 FMS does not provide the ability to delete a waypoint from your flight plan if it's part of a published procedure.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 11:33am

The IFD540 FMS does not provide the ability to delete a waypoint from your flight plan if it's part of a published procedure.

Thanks Steve, good to know that I was not missing something.
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 12:24pm
Steve, thanks much. That's very easy. I didn't realize that was a selectable field. I was using the "search" button when on the info page which only allows a search for cities. Now i can for cities or ICAO identifiers.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Note that the "free" add-on Aeroplan year(s) are optional. Aeroplan stirred some initial controversy with its required waiver. I don't know if that has been amended, or if there is a pricier Aeroplan Plus, without the waiver. Buyer be aware.

* Orest

Just wanted to alert people to what I've managed to turn up on the Aeroplan waiver.

I contacted an aviation liability lawyer and he said I should insure myself for it.

I have some very good people who work with me to find insurance for our company's flight tests, and they have yet to find a company that will cover that waiver as written.  As such the waiver as written would be a personal burden.

If anyone knows a cost effective way to accept the Aeroplan please pass it along, otherwise I'll be turning it down.

Does Avidyne know of an insurance company that will insure their waiver?

Edited by roltman - 14 Oct 2014 at 2:36pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:04pm
The plan is optional.   It extends your warranty if you elect to take advantage of it.   Avidyne is not in the insurance broker business.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:05pm
I had contacted Avidyne over a year ago when this topic first came up. I was told this waiver applied only to their glass panels. Is this NOT the case???
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:10pm
That was true then.    It's a different case now.

Pre-buy folks get two years of standard warranty and a signed AeroPlan extends that to three years.

New purchase folks get one year of standard warranty and a signed AeroPlan extends that to three years.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:17pm
It is not immediately obvious to me why signing a waiver in case of an accident extends coverage longer for a standard customer than a prebuy customer. What am I missing?
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:28pm

The plan is optional.   It extends your warranty if you elect to take advantage of it.   Avidyne is not in the insurance broker business.

I think everyone knows it's optional. 

Sorry Steve, I wasn't asking for insurance, I was asking the knowledge base at Avidyne, the source of the waiver, for possibly a statement, "We know of company XYZ and they will cover our waiver and others have been successful in using them, but YMMV". Right now I'm wondering if such a company exists, so I can weigh it's cost/benefit with the extra warranty coverage.  I know this is an unpopular subject, but I'm trying to find a way to take advantage of it if possible and share what I learn with others.

I've tried to do my due diligence and contact a lawyer specializing in aviation liability law, and a very knowledgeable insurance broker without successful path forward.  As such I turned to the forums.  Maybe I could have rewritten the previous post a little better, and I apologize if it was taken as a jab.

In summary, I would like to extend my warranty, but at what cost? 

I wasn't overly concerned till I read about the Cirrius wreck with Sandel EHSI.  There's no way I could control the outcome of such a mess (esp if dead), nor could I assume that kind of risk to my estate.

I can't control the other idiots in the world, trust me I try. I can't protect other companies from the other idiots either. Just like "Avidyne is not in the insurance broker business.", neither am I and thus far I can't find insurance to cover the waiver, but I'll keep looking and will post anything I find.

Edited by roltman - 14 Oct 2014 at 4:10pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:11pm

It is not immediately obvious to me why signing a waiver in case of an accident extends coverage longer for a standard customer than a prebuy customer. What am I missing?

You're looking at it the wrong way.  Pre-buy customers get 2 years of standard warranty; standard customers get a single year.

Since the standard warranty does not have the controversial strings attached that the Aeroplan does, that arrangement is a noteworthy benefit to pre-buy customers.

If either a pre-buy or a standard customer sign the Aeroplan agreement, then warranty coverage is extended to a total of 3 years.  The total coverage is not longer for either type of customer.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:22pm
Our preoccupation with the "lawyer" piece <on either side of the issue> is a disease.
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:30pm
Steve, I do see your logic but I had heard that the prebuy customers would have an extended warranty to help compensate for the length of time it took to get certified. At one point there was to be a letter from the CEO but that didn't happen. Anyway, it does appear the standard customers receive a better warranty add on by signing the waiver which eliminates any prebuy warranty advantage. It aeems signing the waiver should give both groups the same.....either 1 year or 2 years. I do realize it is not your call, however.

Edited by teeth6 - 14 Oct 2014 at 9:31pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 6:46pm
A question that I haven't been able to find the answer to in the manual.   Is there also a button or knob twist that will cause the FPL/MAP page to open/close on the FPL tab of the FMS switch, or is this feature only touch screen?   Likewise to pop the data in or out on the Map page of the Map switch.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 6:50pm
You can do via the bezel too.  If you press and hold the left or right side of the FMS or MAP page buttons along the bottom, it acks as another tab and either opens or closes the "window shade".  Give it a try and let me know if you aren't successful.  

Look at the bottom bullet on page 1-14 of the Pilot Guide.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 7:33pm
That sounds cool. I'm going to try that on my flight home from Vegas tomorrow. I forgot those buttons on the bottom are "rocker" like and have a dual function. I do remember that one of the advantages of the Avidyne over the G units is that you can perform all actions either with buttons or the touchscreen. I've been trying to use the buttons more to minimize fingerprints on the screen. I have noticed if you touch it lightly, as in the case when you just make a selection, it does not leave a fingerprint. If you apply greater pressure, which seems to be required when seeking more information on a particular airspace or airport on the map, it leaves a fingerprint. Tomorrow I will try making a "info" selection by just touching longer rather than with greater pressure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic