Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FREE TRANSPONDER OFFER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 8:13am
There are plenty of us on the pre-buy list who are anxious to get our units.  Are you saying that you know people with month one dates who haven't been contacted by Avidyne for shipping arrangements?  At least some month one folks have gotten their units, because they've posted here about them.

As for dates, Steve posted dates two weeks ago for how the production months lay out:  http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=238&PID=3467&title=ifd540-certification-status#3467

Are you saying that's not good enough and you want them to identify on which specific date unit x will ship out the door 4-8 weeks from now?

Edited by MysticCobra - 16 Sep 2014 at 8:14am
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 6:01am
No it's only to new purchasers. I called today and they said the box will ship in a week to 10 days if you order now. Really frustrating as I am in month three and they still can't tell me when I'm going to get my units that I paid for almost three years ago. I think it is a bum wrap and my confidence in Avidyne is quickly diminishing to nothing. When I called they said that all month one orders have been filled but all the people I know of still haven't heard from them on ship dates. Furthermore when I spoke to sales today they still can't give a date for my units to ship. This is all so frustrating because lip service solves nothing but helping to lose satisfied customers.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 12:38am
So is the free transponer deal available to pre-purchasers?
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:45pm
Avidyne's sales/marketing is, to put it politely, weird.

The AXP340 transponder originally had a list price of about $6K.  This was much higher than any of the competition, even the Garmin.  Eventually they dropped it to $4K.  The transponder offer shows the price at $4250 - maybe that includes a tray.

One of the big selling points of the IFD 540 GPS is that it can replace a GNS 530W without wiring changes.  And one of the big selling points of the AXP340 transponder is that it can replace a KT 76A without wiring changes.  However if both are installed the wiring must be changed to connect the GPS to the transponder.  This makes for a strange bundle.

The promotion involves trading in your old transponder.  So it isn't really a $4240 value.  I can't imagine what Avidyne will do with a bunch of random untested transponders.  If I were taking that deal I'd probably go on eBay and buy an old Cessna ARC or Narco transponder to trade in rather than giving them my KT 76C which has more resale value.

I'm an engineer, not a salesman.  But I can't imagine our sales staff willingly passing up an opportunity to upsell a bundle.  And in this business word of mouth is important.  The best advertisement for an IFD is a plane on the field that has one.  And a full Avidyne stack with the audio panel, transponder, and maybe TAWS is a better advertisement than an IFD sitting below a Garmin panel and above a King transponder.  I'm amazed I haven't gotten a phone call telling me that my IFD will ship in a few months, offering help picking an avionics shop, and offering to sell me additional Avidyne stuff at a modest discount.

Reducing the price by roughly 20% two months after start of shipping might cause people to think the IFD is not making the target sales numbers.

And finally, competing with the GTN 750 with tchotchkes like Bluetooth and an inflated price difference (which drops a lot of you don't have TAWS in one but not the other) isn't a winning strategy.  You should be touting your core strengths, such as the hybrid interface, better touch, and FMS.  You should do this consistently - every time.  The message should always be "Our GPS is better".

OK, enough ragging on Avidyne.  Please let me know when my IFD is going to ship.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:50pm
Okay,  I'll just say that I'm a bit disappointed.

I think I'm in for a $10.5K for the IFD-540 with the tray.  I put my money down in 2012 for a 440 and then topped it up for a 540 in 2013.  With a list price of $17K for the 540, I figured the street price would be around $15K, giving me about a 5K discount for prepaying.

My fear was that the street price would actually be down around $12.5K, at which point the $2K saved would probably not be worth sitting on the sidelines all this time.  Well, after certification I was pleasantly surprised to see that the street price (for now) is about $15.6K (based on the national advertisers). Even when I found out that they were shipping new units prior to fulfilling all of the preorders, I was still okay because I had that $5K bonus going for me.

Now, with an offer of a free $4K transponder for someone who just walks up to the counter, my discount or bonus or whatever you want to call it for paying early is diminished considerably.  So, if I want to buy the IFD-540 and an AXP-340 right now, I can shell out $15.6K and get on the list with my installer next week.  Or, I can wait until mid-November to get my unit, pay an additional $4200 for the AMX-340, and have a total cost of $14.7K.  (I'm leaving installation out of this analysis because it will be the same in either case)

Whatever the case, the hook is set, and I'm resigned to waiting it out.  I'm only going to buy the IFD-540.  If I buy the 340, I will just feel foolish for waiting 2-1/2 years to save a grand.

I was willing to buy the full Avidyne suite (240, 340, and 540) if there was any kind of bundled pricing offered, but that question was asked and answered at Oshkosh.

Oh well.  It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't...  I'll be all smiles again when I get the e-mail/phone call that my unit is ready to go.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic