Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

G500 w/IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G500 w/IFD540
    Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:36am
I pulled this out of another thread where it was getting no love :)
I wanted to see if any of the early users have the IFD with the G500/G600 and if there has been any loss of functionality in the various display functions of the G500.
Thanks!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:54am
The G500 end user customers that I know of are still a week or three away from having their IFD540s installed.

I however, have a G500 in the test airplane I fly every day.

I can shoot you an email with pictures of the joint system in action in the plane (this forum doesn't really allow pictures to be attached) if you send me the email address you'd like.

We currently have one known integration issue between the IFD540 and G500 for which we'll send a yellow sheet/service advisory out shortly.   We will be fixing this in the next IFD540 software release.   The specific issue is that when you select an approach in the IFD540 and use a Vectors-to-Final (VTF) transition, the inbound leg to the FAF is not depicted on the G500 moving map.  It is displayed correctly on the IFD540 moving map but not on the G500 map.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:28pm
Steve,

Do you anticipate similar success with the GMX200 in that it should display all from the 540? I know you had success with Jepp chartview, but I was wondering about all the other display items?

Victor
Mooney M20J
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:59pm
Yes.     We've run all the same tests on MX20/GMX200.

We've already fixed the VTF issue in our code - it's just waiting for the next software release to hit the field.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 5:56pm
Excellent!!!

Victor
Mooney M20J
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 8:23am
Thanks! Please send pictures to ptlevine1@gmail.com

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 4:08am
I think a better solution would be an Avidyne competitor to the G500. The Aspen units seem nice, but I prefer the size of the G500 displays. Not a fan of Garmin though.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:16am
Joe, check out http://avidyne.com/products/pfd4000/index.asp  I'm looking forward to this one to complete my all Avidyne panel.  Having flown behind R9, and now the IFD540, this will complete the package, especially if they upgrade it to touch screen and provide the R9.3 synthetic vision.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 9:35am
Interesting--I wasn't familiar with the PFD4000.  Is this another product in development?  Any word on pricing or which airframes it will be STC'd for?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 9:37am
Looks terrific.  Would be great to integrate with my other Avidyne purchases.  Would have much preferred this over the Aspens I installed in anticipation of the DFC90.   

This is an example, depending on what Avidyne's time line turns out to be, in which advance knowledge would have been helpful.

Edited by ddgates - 24 Sep 2014 at 9:41am
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 10:06am
I wasn't trying to stir up trouble mentioning the PFD4000.  There has been a functioning demo version since Oshkosh 2011 (I think), and on the website about as long as the IFD540/440 so this shouldn't be new news.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:59pm
Looks like it will be worth the wait. AviJake said the PFD4000 will follow:
540 Done
    440 Getting close
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 11:13am
I'd really like to get glass instrumentation sooner than later, so I'd planned on installing an Aspen in 2015. I hadn't heard of the PFD4000 though. TBH the long lead time between my IFD540 preorder and its actual availability makes me skittish about the PFD4000.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:13pm
It will likely be a wonderful bit of kit, but lead time is one issue (realistically) for the PFD4000, the other would be the price -- not in the same ballpark as an ASPEN, I don't think.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Sep 2014 at 12:14pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:38pm
We have found another bug in MapMx integrations thanks to the help of a customer who has just done in install in his G500 equipped airplane.

When performing the instrument self test (this is an automatic operation that runs for the duration that you leave the initial acknowledgment splash screen up) on MapMx systems (G500/600, GMX200, MX20), we don't output all the self-test values via the MapMx protocol.  Instead, we send actual values, which has the effect of making self-test not too useful for those units.

We do send the proper values out when not in self-test and the self-test output is all correct for all analog and non-MapMx EFIS/MFDs.

We'll make a fix to that mistake in an upcoming software release (same one that has the VTF depiction issue).

Edited by AviJake - 07 Oct 2014 at 1:39pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic