Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avidyne 540 Tray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avidyne 540 Tray
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 7:35pm
I've run into a bit of a snag. The Avidyne 540 is sold as a slide in replacement for the Garmin 530. After purchasing a 530W and having it installed while waiting for 540 certification and production, I am told there are no trays available for the 530.

Edited by Joe Jet - 24 Sep 2014 at 4:00am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:45pm
Thank you Garmin.    We hear this is the latest attempt by Garmin to stymie sales.

Technically, the 540 is still a slide in replacement for the 530 but we understand this current twist is creating problems for folks like you.

While it doesn't sound like it will help Joe Jet, we're exploring options that may resolve this issue.   We'll see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:29pm
I have seen 530 trays for sale on eBay.  I'd considered buying one and having it installed in my panel just ahead of receiving my 540, but have decided just to wait and do the whole thing at once.  You might want to look on eBay to find one to re-sell along with you 530 when the time comes.
David
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 4:45pm
My friend has an online business selling connector kits and mounting trays.  Here is a link to the 530 tray:

It shows them in stock.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:16pm
pburger, Thanks for that link-- just ordered one...

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 12:57am
Thanks!

Ordered a tray and backplate.

etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:11am
So Garmin has stopped selling 530 trays? Wow! what a bunch of crap
wintec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wintec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:44am
I also bought a used 530 in anticipation of my 540 and had it installed who knew you couldn't get a tray  why isn't the avidyne tray compatible with a 530 

any way i found this website that makes an after market tray 

http://www.wingsavionics.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2452&keyword=530&searchby=author&offset=0&fs=1

hope that works when I go to sell the 530 

anybody else having the same issue 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:24am
The Avidyne tray is absolutely compatible with the 530.   The issue here is that the Garmin STC calls out a 530 and Garmin tray.

Garmin has apparently told all customers and dealers that they will not sell just a 530 tray now in an apparent effort to stymie 540 sales for plug and play folks.

Some dealers are not bothered by this Garmin position and are perfectly comfortable signing off the combined 530, 540 tray combo.  Some will not.

Avidyne is investigating ways to give all installers a comfortable path to perform that exercise.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wintec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wintec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 4:45pm
that will make things so much easier thanks for the quick response 
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:00am
For those with IFD-440 orders who are reading this thread, it looks like the 430 tray (no back plate) is available for cheap:
http://www.banyanpilotshop.net/10expand.asp?ProductCode=garmin-gns-430-tray
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:33am
There was a discussion of this on our user group and it was said that Garmin stopped selling the tray 18 months ago when the 530 went out of production and that is is normal for a manufacturer to stop selling install kits when the product ceases production.  Not true???
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:05am
Hard to really know for sure.   There are all kinds of companies (including Avidyne) who continue to support past products with accessories well after production ends and some companies (also including Avidyne) who don't for some products.

Could be a plausible cover story or could be unrelated practice.  In any case, the Garmin sales reps are apparently relishing telling folks that the 540 is not plug and play since it needs a tray and you can't get one.

I will post when we complete our effort to find an easy path to defeat the "you need a Garmin tray for a Garmin box" challenge.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:22am
Actually, it is the Garmin 530 that isn't plug & play, since you can pull the 530 and plug in a 540. ;-)

You don't need a Garmin tray for the 540 (if you plug and play), because you already have one. If you don't have a tray for the 540 (for whatever reason), then plug & play isn't an issue. Just get a 540 tray.

The only issue is for someone wanting to install a used 530, if it doesn't come with a tray. So Garmin are only shooting themselves in the foot by trying to dry up the market for used 530 (probably thinking people will be forced to go to their 760 while the 540 is now an option).

Vince
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 12:25pm
I checked with my buddy (at www.lanepilot.com).  He said he thought he was down to his last 530 tray.  I just checked his website and now it's not even showing up, so he must be out.

He buys from Garmin.  I'll check back with him periodically to see if he was able to get any more racks from them.

jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 11:10pm
Are the connectors used by Garmin the same as those used on the 540? If they are then perhaps all you have to do is install the Avidyne tray using the already wired Garmin connectors. Then sell the 530 with the Garmin tray and the connector kit that came with the Avidyne tray. Would that work?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 7:43am
It may be a matter of the STC paperwork requiring a Garmin tray.

* Orest

velox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 1:13am
The wiring and connectors are 98% of the WASS install.
To remove a Garmin backing plate/tray  and install a Avidyne backing plate/tray should be no more than an hour or two if everything goes OK.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:18pm
We are making some progress on helping to provide a satisfactory installation basis for install shops to use to allow the combination Garmin 530 - Avidyne tray.   That would allow all  existing 530 equipped aircraft who are upgrading to the IFD540 to leave the 530 tray in place and then when trying to resell the 530, they can use the Avidyne tray with it to have a "complete set".

We're pushing through a mountain of regulator input to get this approved.  We're through about 9 layers of the onion and not quite sure if we have 1 to go or a bunch to go. 

Bottom line...... still working it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:20am
Steve, how about us experimental guys?  Like others in this group, I have installed GNS-430's, GNS-430W's, GTN-650's, autopilots, EFIS's, Comms, Audio panels, etc...  I would like to install my IFD-440 when it comes out.  Will Avidyne ship directly to the buyer if requested?
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:40am
Short answer is that I don't personally know.

I recommend contacting Avidyne sales directly (actually, I'll have them reach out to you) and figure out if that's feasible.    I just don't know right now since we've transitioned to the dealer network model.  

Standby for a contact on Mon or Tues.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 2:25am
Well.... I wasnt able to purchase the tray from either of the used avionics suppliers mentioned. One of them doesn't take credit cards on their online store and neither of them responded to my emails....ridiculous!

Doesn't matter though. Avidyne shipped me a tray, backplate and connectors to my home. I was really impressed with how quick they were able to accommodate me. I had my 530 sold and no tray to go with it. The Avidyne parts are beautiful! The cruddy cast in Taiwan Garmin parts pale in comparison. The backplate is billet and there are MADE IN USA and PMA FAA labels all over them. Its a shame you cant see any of these beautiful parts once installed, but its nice to know they are in there.

Edited by Joe Jet - 24 Sep 2014 at 4:02am
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:12pm
Any update on this?

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:47am
It's going very slowly.  Getting PMA approval to use the Avidyne tray in a 530 installation is possible and still in pursuit but it's going to move very slowly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm
Any update on this issue?  I'm installing my IFD540 in 10 days and will be selling my 530W to a friend.  But he can't find a mounting tray anywhere, including eBay.  So this is going to be a serious issue for us.

Any suggestions on a workaround would be very helpful.  Easiest route would be for him to buy a new IFD540 tray from Avidyne, but he needs the Garmin STC... For my part, I don't want to have to replace the tray in my airplane as that would defeat the purpose of the plug-and-play installation of my new IFD540 and raise the cost as well.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:45pm
It's done.  Let me dig up the SIL we published a few weeks ago on this topic. 

This PMA approval gives your installer all the legal approval paperwork cover they need to use an Avidyne tray with a Garmin box.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:49pm
Here's a link to the SIL describing the PMA approval:  http://www.avidyne.com/publications/ifd540/606-00182-009.pdf
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:29pm
Can we assume you have the process started for PMA approval of the IFD440 tray for use with a G430/W?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:01am
Sort of. It will be part of the STC.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:07am
Nice try, Garmin.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:20am
Exactly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic