Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 Certification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:03pm
Hi Jack,

I'm glad you asked.  I was just about to make a IFD440 post.

Yes, a lot of the 540 cert data will be reused for the 440 cert.

The 440 and 540 software lines are one in the same.    Among other things, that means the release of the IFD440 software (which will be called "Release 10.1.0.0" or just "Release 10.1" for short) will simultaneously be a release for the 540.   It is premature to provide a precise definition of the new features that both the 440 and 540 will get when compared to the initial release of the 540 but I'll do that as we get closer to the cert finish line.

Most of my flights each week now are IFD440 test flights. I've got a 540 in the top slot and a 440 in the bottom slot for the test flights. I evaluate the software changes on both boxes at the same time.

The software loaded on the components of the units (e.g. VHF, GPS, I/O, main processor, maintenance modes, Operating System and drivers, etc) are identical so we can take previously certified credit and that's a huge help/times savings.

We still believe we're looking at an end of the year cert (~ 6 months after IFD540) for the 440 and Release 10.1.   I'll be sure to provide updates if that changes but I'm not expecting it.

One of the more interesting changes that has come out of flight testing the 440 is that we're going to shave off some of the top edge of the IFD440 bezel in order to improve the viewing angle of the top edge and not make the top few pixels of the glass unviewable without moving your head significantly.  Imagine shaving the top thin bezel such that we make it concave.  So, when you're viewing it from above (as will be the case with many installs) you can see the entire glass with no un-natural effort on your part.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 7:50pm
Steve,

I am wondering about the cert for the IFD 440 is the process similar to the IFD 540 or can some of the cert data be reused since it appears to be that both boxes at least have similar software and comparable hardware.

Jack
Jack Seubert
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 9:25pm
Working on it.   It's a middle priority right now so it might be a fall kind of thing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 3:58pm

Thanks

What about a PC based 440 simulator?  Primarily  to see how to arrange the boxes on the screen for personal preference and so I don’t get overly used to the larger screen on the 540. 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:30pm
We're very happy with how the IFD440 development is going. I'm flying it quite often now.  For planning purposes, everybody should assume it's a December cert.   That's 6 months after the 540 cert and means we go pencils down in Oct to get all material in the hands of the FAA in Nov to get cert in Dec.

One of the things we'll work on during the early fall is to get an iPad app for the 440 out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 2:45pm

Congratulations to the team for the cert on the IFD 540

Now that they are shipping I figured it is time to start a new topic for the IFD-440 certification process.

So Jake I know you are still enjoying a deserved vacation but when you get back and settled we would appreciate an update on the IFD-440.

Edited by AviJake - 25 Feb 2015 at 8:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic