Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shipping Special IFD540s in Feb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shipping Special IFD540s in Feb
    Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 5:11pm
We have revised the definition of our IFD540 Pilot Program and have decided that we will start shipping pre-TSO equipment to those interested and "qualified" starting in very early Feb.

These pre-TSO units are built exactly the same way as the certified units - same hardware, same software, same level of testing, etc.  They just haven't received the official TSO and STC stamps of approval yet.

This will have several benefits to all of us.  For example, we will have field experience in non-Avidyne aircraft being installed by avioinics shops around the country - exactly what I was trying to accomplish through the previously defined Pilot Program (see that thread on this forum for more background). Our factory and service center and all the product support mechanisms will officially start now.  Our Tech Support crew will all be up to speed now.  And so on and so on.     This *should* serve as a great risk reduction for all early adopters and decrease the time to install for everyone.  Originally, I had planned on a 3-5 week Pilot Program after cert.  This should mean that the day after cert, we can start shipping at a high rate.

Since this equipment is not yet TSO'd, it's only appropriate to install in Experimental Aircraft.   "Qualified" participants are those who are flying Experimental aircraft, base the airplanes in the Continental US (Alaska and Canada may also work), and will be ready to install the units in your aircraft and start flying as soon as we start shipping them in early Feb.  In addition, I'm holding the line that these airplanes are pure "plug and play" capable meaning you're already got WAAS antennas installed and a wired tray that houses a Garmin 530W.

We have some commercial terms to still figure out (they will be very advantageous to the participants) but I'd like to solicit a new crop of volunteers given this new definition and the criteria we're looking for.  If you think you meet that criteria, and are interested in learning more or participating, please send me a direct email at sjacobson@avidyne.com
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 8:21pm
Steve:

Does this de facto place the experimental group at the head of the line, and will it then siphon off units that would otherwise go to the certified group at the head of the list?
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 9:10pm
Why are you just limiting this to experimental aircraft only?  I know operators that fly part 125 on Monday, experimental on Tuesday, part 125 the rest of the week.  I really don't think its a big deal for someone will to go on an experimental ticket for a few weeks if you know exactly how to restore your aircraft back to its cert basis.  so if you have customers willing to do that, you should include them.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 9:29pm
Experimental tickets are fine too.

No delays to certified shipments. We've also found efficiencies in our production line which means everybody moves up
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 10:47pm
I don't understand the "experimental" ticket thing.
Do you mean that I can temporarily change my Bonanza to experimental ?
Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 8:13am
As I'm sure you know, there are Experimental category aircraft (RVs, Lancair, Glassair, etc) and then there are some folks who have a Normal category airplane (like your Bonanza) but who, for whatever reason, have an Experimental ticket. It's those two types of airplanes/folks that I'm looking for.

I'm not comfortable providing guidance or recommendations for someone to take their Normal category airplane to Experimental. We do it all the time for our company flight test assets but I'm not savvy enough with the nuances for privately held aircraft.

Maybe others have better guidance or experience in that area and want to comment.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:11am
Steve:

I am assuming this was the essence of the announced COO letter?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:12am
No.

He's just back from travel and I meet with him later today to check on status of his letter.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:32pm
The first two pre-TSO IFD540s have been installed in customer aircraft.  Another handful get installed in the next week or so.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:56pm
Lucky Dogs.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic