Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wishlist for the next IFD software release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:52am
How about when the IFD alerts you to change the OBS heading to a new course it display what course is is receiving from the OBS.  That way it would be easier to dial in the exact course requested by the IFD.

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:32am
???  

If your OBS isn't malfunctioning, then the IFD should be getting the same course you see currently dialed in on your OBS/CDI, and you should simply dial in the course the IFD is alerting you to set.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 6:04am
While my "meticulous" nature motivates me to dial in the exact course, as you say, that is not necessary to make the message go away.  You have about a six degree window (+/-3°) that will cancel the alert message.

If the objective is to cancel the message, close is good enough.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 1:10pm
I have a couple suggestions for datablocks:

1) Change the Cross Track Distance datablock from a 2-line datablock to a 1-line datablock. So instead of Cross Track
0.1 NM Left
it would read
XTE 0.01 NM L or
XTE 0.01 NM Left
Not sure if the 2nd option would fit in the space, the first certainly would. Note that I've also requested that it be to the nearest 1/100th NM.

2) It would sure be nice if the Wind Vector datablock could be changed to a 2-line datablock. Not sure why it is 3 lines as the 3rd line is blank.

Vince
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 1:24pm
Here is a quick and easy suggestion:

A datablock that shows the status of the fuel timer, and has a left/right arrow that switches when the timer is reset. Or perhaps just changes color.  Fuel burn as discussed previously would be ideal, but this should be easier to implement.
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:54pm
Allow the IFD540 ADS-B traffic, weather and other info to display on MFD.
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:55pm
Including navdata and charts so that it doesn't have to be update with the IFD540.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by lolsen94 lolsen94 wrote:

Allow the IFD540 ADS-B traffic, weather and other info to display on MFD.

+1
David Gates
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:40am
This may have been asked for and may even been in the newer sofeware-
In case of needing to go the the nearest airport quickly, from the map page; touch the nearest airport icon that is in the data on the right side of the screen; get a question from the box asking do you want to go to Kxxx? tap yes and the box is now in direct to Kxxx mode.

Tom G
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 4:56pm
Would it be possible to get a user defined datablock? Say four lines long and the user can edit what is in each line so you'd have a customizable datablock?
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 5:28pm

While wishes are still open (;- 0  ; I would wish for the ability to estimate fuel flow and enter it along with the current fuel quantity input, if you do not have a system that will properly output flow data to the IFD.  Then use that to calculate and read estimated fuel at the waypoints. etc.  Mark it as "E" or in a different color, or both, but it would be useful to provide that data without keeping  separate calculations on a piece of paper.

Thank you.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:01am
I think having an ability to introduce an estimated burn rate into a precision instrument is a bad idea. Accurate fuel flow transducers are readily available at reasonable cost. Much better to use the new technology rather than entering guesstimates into otherwise accurate equipment.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Old Bob Siegfried Old Bob Siegfried wrote:

I think having an ability to introduce an estimated burn rate into a precision instrument is a bad idea. Accurate fuel flow transducers are readily available at reasonable cost. Much better to use the new technology rather than entering guesstimates into otherwise accurate equipment.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Better remove the useful calculators if you don't have an air data source and the already included fuel planner...

I'm not sure how the 540 would estimate fuel flow, but I guess you could use the Fuel Planner calculator to add fuel information to existing datablocks at each waypoint with an EST to show it's an estimate (E is reserved for Empty!).
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 11:02pm
The only wish for the next IFD software release is for it to be released already!!
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

The only wish for the next IFD software release is for it to be released already!!

+100
77Mooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77Mooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:32pm
Allow interaction with the Garmin flight stream 210, use optional nav and data source such as Seattle avionics, and move the touch screen data entry box up and above the keypad instead of on the bottom

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 9:37pm
Automatically scroll checklists as items are checked off. I find myself having to scroll often because i do several items at a time and the list now end up below the screen.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 10:58pm
My wishlist:
  1. preference to allow range knob orientation to change to match the EX5000C... they are currently opposite of each other (counterclockwise on one, clockwise on the other... for range change)
  2. Allow for Emax data to be synced to IFDs... esp my fuel state
  3. Heads-UP XM integration support
  4. enable "double-tap" preference to edit something... for example, to edit a field in the hold editor, double tap one of the entries... it turns white and you can then change it... 
  5. tap-n-drag to re-order legs in the flight plan
  6. easier way to enable scrolling (sometimes its hard to scroll down the frequency lists... not sure why... it may be the that the digitizer sensitivity is weaker near the corners of the screen?
  7. com sidetone configuration enablement
  8. enable VNAV automation from IFD to DFC90
  9. enable auto-zooming of map as an option
  10. enable zooming of map to match the range of the EX5000C... i.e. set 50nm in the EX5000C, and the IFD could also set its map to 50nm (as a preference)
  11. acquire altitude information from the PFD so that missed sequencing can be automated... perhaps it could also be enhanced with the sensing of the flap switch changes?
Doug N208LG
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 3:51pm
The ability to insert a new data block between existing blocks when editing the list. Currently to put a block in the the list and keep the rest the same, you have to move all the existing blocks down one at a time until you get to the spot you want the new one to be. Also the ability to hold and drag data blocks to reorder.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 6:48am
That's a long list, Doug, to be added to what must already be a very long queue of requests.

I wonder how Avidyne is setting priorities of these when they have their meetings to track/rack them. Number of requests for a given feature? Ease of implementation? Avidyne's own perception of added value, intrinsic plus vs competition? I suspect a combination of all these and possibly more.

From my viewpoint, there are two items that have been requested for quite a while and which should be at the top of the list:
- Orest banana (on the list for well over 18 months now)
- RF (radius to fix) support

The 2nd is so I can fly the approaches that are in my 540, but with only vectors or FAF options. Talk about frustrating seeing the IAF and curved approach on the Jepp chart and not being able to select the IAF and fly the full approach on the 540! Especially when this is for my home field and colleagues with G* are able to do it :-(

Edited by chflyer - 26 Nov 2016 at 6:49am
Vince
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:03am
Seattle Avionics charts!!!
Sauce
NotarPilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotarPilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 3:19am
How about ADS-B integration with the L-3 NGT9000 Lynx?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by NotarPilot NotarPilot wrote:

How about ADS-B integration with the L-3 NGT9000 Lynx?

That is already being worked on.

* Orest

ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 1:10pm
Actually.. had a few more thoughts on a future software releases:
  • With a dual-IFD-440 config, it might be possible to make fully redundant the EXP5000 PFD screen... this would be the scenario where the airdata and AHRS are fine but the PFD video screen goes dark.   In this case, IFD#1 could show the "top" portion of the PFD (attitude) and bottom IFD #2 could show the lower portion of the PFD (HSI)..  I believe you might even have enough buttons to replicate the PFD buttons too!  
  • Another variant would be an "IFD-450" that would, in a dual-IFD configuration along with the PFD, present a "quorum" of AHRS to the DFC90.. (and for display on the PFD and/or IFD's per above).
  • It would be great to have the HSI replicated on the IFD.. including the heading bug
  • It would be great to have a "health" status panel on all Avidyne products to show the health status of all of the Avidyne units in your flight deck... that would mean that I could, for example, go to my MFD and see some basic health info of the MFD, the IFDs, and possibly the PFD. the health status for all Avidyne products could be viewed from any connected Avidyne product (including the IFD100 iPad app)
  • It would be awesome if the IFD100 could also replicate the PFD data (again, assuming the AHRS and airdata are fine... but the video screen is dead).
  • It may already be possible, but I'd like to see both the localizer and GS tracks on the IFDs when shooting an approach. 
Thanks!

Doug
N208LG
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:11pm
This should be an easy one to implement:

- make the cross track data block show to 2 decimal places rather than just one
Vince
Thinwing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thinwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:23am
Kt-74 compatbilty
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:47am
My greatest wish is that we get a release, this silence is deafening.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Thinwing Thinwing wrote:

Kt-74 compatbilty

If you're talking about using the IFD as a position source for your ADS-B Out broadcast, that is something that the transponder manufacturer has to get certified and approved, not the GPS manufacturer.

If you're talking about using the IFD as a display for ADS-B data coming from the transponder, then that's a different story.

David Bunin

Thinwing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thinwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:37pm
So you think Garmin secured compatibility for their 345 transponder and wrote the code the IFD outputs(available 10.2)
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:04pm

Kt-74 compatbilty

I had one of those installed. I inquired and got a response from King that the Avidyne wasn't on their list for approvals, even though the KT-74 innards are the same as the Avidyne unit (both made by Trig).  I sold my KT-74 on ebay and got the Avidyne one to install.  I assume the KT-74 would actually work, but you would not have approval for it.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:19pm
10.2 released...
Jim Patton
OliverBucher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:11pm
? Is it real?
If yes, it will be great :-)
I am waiting for the VFR Plates for Europe.
Oliver Bucher
Plane: DA40-180
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:40pm
I think that was just a wish!

* Orest

AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 8:36pm
If so, don't joke like that - it's not good for my heart!😳
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
guenter_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 5:51am
Hi,
looking for

- showing cities, their names, highways and rivers on the MAP display like the Garmins 430/530 does, to answer passengers questions like "where are we?"

- stopping the inflight timer after landing (it starts at takeoff but never stops)

- showing the last 10 flights in AUX menu with TKO and DEST airports (should be nearest airport), power on/off and inflight TKO/LDG times, that wouldt be VERY helpful for all the paperwork

guenni
guenter_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 6:03am
Hi,

its possible to insert several destination airports with their approaches in one flightplan. Thats helpful for training and checkflights with low approaches to follow the routing to the next airport.

Its not possible, to replace a missed approach at the destination airports by a SID which is the normal part of a cleareance "after low approach follow SID xxxx". At least, you have to make a separate FPL for each Origin/Dest airport. Or am I wrong?

guenni
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:07am
That's correct. There can only be one "Origin" in any FPL and it must be the first entry (won't ever be presented as an option for anything else). A SID/departure can only be configured for an "Origin" at the current release.

The challenge with your request is how to address the standard missed approach that is associated and configured as part of the approach.
Vince
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:09am

Originally posted by luchetto luchetto wrote:

My greatest wish is that we get a release, this silence is deafening.

Where is Steve?

Last post 26 Aug 2016.

Klaus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:37am

So you think Garmin secured compatibility for their 345 transponder and wrote the code the IFD outputs(available 10.2)

?? I don't understand.  Say again please?

Other equipment manufacturers have signed contracts with Garmin to use the GNS/GTN position data in their ADS-B products.  I see no reason why Garmin couldn't enter into an agreement with Avidyne to use the IFD as an approved position source for the GTX line.  But I have no idea if they have actually done that.  The IFD series does not appear as a listed position source on the FAA web site for ADS-B.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/equipment/#G-in

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

Where is Steve?

Last post 26 Aug 2016.

Steve was promoted last year (possibly in September?) and I don't think his new job duties include participation in the forum.  Simpson has been performing that role since then.  (Simpson was also promoted, but it seems that forum administration is still within his duties and responsibilities.)

David Bunin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic