Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wishlist for the next IFD software release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Ahh, I understand your point now.  Yes, we will implore Jepp to do that.    We just met on the topic this week at Oshkosh.  We have our next big face-to-face on the topic in mid Aug.

Bravo!

* Orest

TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:27pm
Sinclair???  Why not IMSAI 8080?

Hey, Steve, how do I get the WiFi read-only SDK?  I want to play...

And my #1 wish for next release is ADS-B traffic from MLB-100!

Edited by TogaDriver - 26 Jul 2015 at 1:12pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:53am
I would like to see a user setting that allows the default mode of the traffic (TAS620 in my case) to be set.  Right now, it defaults to ground mode when avionics power is applied (as it should), then goes to normal mode when in the air.  I would like it to go directly to unlimited mode rather than normal mode. 
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

it defaults to ground mode when avionics power is applied, then goes to NORMAL mode when in the air.  I would like it to go directly to UNLIMITED mode rather than NORMAL mode. 

Plus one!

Maybe it's just a sign of the times, but anybody I take in the airplane always wants to see how "this ADS-B thing" works.  So I tend to use the unrestricted mode all the time to light up any traffic, even if it is not proximate traffic.

David Bunin

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:53pm
Two small usability fixes;
1. When you press the DCT key whilst on a SID the final waypoint in the departure should be the default - you often get cleared to this point during a departure. Right now you get the last waypoint you created in the flight plan which is rarely that useful
2. When in flight when you select Jepp charts a chart for the destination airport not the departure airport should be shown. When a procedure has been selected in the FMS the first procedure chart (arrival or approach) should be shown as the default
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:16am
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

We should have the SDK sign up mechanism online in the next week or so.  When it is, I'll create a new thread for the topic.

ADS-B traffic from the MLB100 is in the next major software release ("10.2.0.0").
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I would like to see a user setting that allows the default mode of the traffic (TAS620 in my case) to be set.  Right now, it defaults to ground mode when avionics power is applied (as it should), then goes to normal mode when in the air.  I would like it to go directly to unlimited mode rather than normal mode. 

Just added to the candidate future feature list.   It'll have a hard time fighting its way onto a release content definition but it's in the pile now.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Two small usability fixes;
1. When you press the DCT key whilst on a SID the final waypoint in the departure should be the default - you often get cleared to this point during a departure. Right now you get the last waypoint you created in the flight plan which is rarely that useful
2. When in flight when you select Jepp charts a chart for the destination airport not the departure airport should be shown. When a procedure has been selected in the FMS the first procedure chart (arrival or approach) should be shown as the default

Both have just been added to the candidate future feature database.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:57am
Steve,

Hope you had a good one, you certainly seem refreshed and have hit the ground running!

Look forward to a posting of near timeframe updates, once ready for public consumption. I must have a dozen or more requests in there. ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Aug 2015 at 10:58am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Steve,

Hope you had a good one, you certainly seem refreshed and have hit the ground running!

Plus one!!

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 6:50pm
This may already be in the list somewhere; if so consider this post as reinforcement. If not, it is a feature that I feel is important. The To Waypoint Information datablock includes the along track distance to the current waypoint. While this can be useful, there are a number of circumstances where it is somewhat confusing. Similarly, a direct distance and bearing is often useful. One example is when one is hand-flying a hold and it is desired to make a turn at a specified distance from the holding waypoint.

I suggest one of the following two changes be implemented:

1. Include direct distance and bearing to the current waypoint in the To Waypoint Information datablock (in addition to the along track distance), OR

2. Define and make available a datablock with the To Waypoint direct distance and bearing. This could be a simple one line datablock.

If this information is already available somewhere, I welcome enlightenment!

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

This may already be in the list somewhere; if so consider this post as reinforcement. If not, it is a feature that I feel is important. The To Waypoint Information datablock includes the along track distance to the current waypoint. While this can be useful, there are a number of circumstances where it is somewhat confusing. Similarly, a direct distance and bearing is often useful. One example is when one is hand-flying a hold and it is desired to make a turn at a specified distance from the holding waypoint.

I suggest one of the following two changes be implemented:

1. Include direct distance and bearing to the current waypoint in the To Waypoint Information datablock (in addition to the along track distance), OR

2. Define and make available a datablock with the To Waypoint direct distance and bearing. This could be a simple one line datablock.

If this information is already available somewhere, I welcome enlightenment!

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,
This exact topic was vigorously discussed, earlier this year, at great length.......
http://avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=515&PN=1&title=issue-with-direct-to-distance-count-down

Avidyne, are apparently now developing some form of datablock to display the info you mention.
However I agree with you, that a single additional line with just bearing and distance information is all that's required, rather than an elaborate 4 line datablock.

Thomas

Edited by DH82FLYER - 14 Aug 2015 at 10:02pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:39pm
Looks like this is already available - 

1. On FMS page, touch Wpt you want to know direct info for.
   2. Touch Direct button - only once, not twice (don't activate).
   3. Continuously changing Distance  & Bearing Direct to Wpt is shown as you move along your flight plan.

Did this on the sim - works great.

Tom W. 

Edited by n7ifr - 14 Aug 2015 at 9:42pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:39pm
+1.   Agree just one line with bearing and distance would be great.  As of now, you simply have to hit direct to the waypoint again to get updated bearing and distance info if you have flown off the flight plan route.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:26pm
Hi Tom-

Thanks for pointing that out; I had not thought of that approach. However, while it does get the desired data up there, it seems somewhat inelegant, as you end up on the FMS page and missing whatever other information is on the Map page. It is nice to be able to "think outside the box", but hopefully our friends at Avidyne will come up with an "in the box" solution.

I do appreciate knowing that I am not alone!

Cheers,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:53pm
Bob, I agree.

Tom
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 11:25pm
Another way to see the same info:  As you move along.
Tap Nearest "Intersection", tap the one of interest once and view Direct distance  & Bearing.

You have to admit the 540 is incredibly versatile. 

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 14 Aug 2015 at 11:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

3. Continuously changing Distance  & Bearing Direct to Wpt is shown as you move along your flight plan.

Did this on the sim - works great.

What happens if you DON'T move along the flight plan?  (Note: This can not be tested on the sim, since it won't fly away from the magenta line.  Only a real airplane can "misbehave" in this way.)

David Bunin

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 8:59pm
So today on an approach, using a hold as procedure turn, used the Intersection page and highlighted the In-bound Fix.

Very cool to see the Fix Highlighted, and yes, the direct Distance/Bearing changed accordingly going around.

Love it.

Tom W. 
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:01pm
I would like to propose modifying the "Nav Mode" data block to a single line, and making it an option for the top strip data block area.  I would like to be able to put this information next to the Nav Source Label in the top strip, so that these two pieces information are closer together.  I would also like the Nav Mode to always be visible.  I know the Nav Mode can be always visible in one of the left datablocks, but to me this is a less than ideal place for it.  And, this is where I'd like to have the "To Waypoint Information" so it too is also always visible, and I can't have both with the way I have the NAV/COM frequency blocks set up.
Thanks,
David
comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:02pm
I'm on 10.1, haven't been able to figure a way to tap an airport or other waypoint using the touchscreen and activate direct to, without the old way of typing/dialing in identifier.  

If that isn't option currently, I think it would be a useful feature.  Currently, when you select a vor or airport with the touchscreen and press direct to, it just tries to refresh direct to the current waypoint in the FMS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:06pm
Also think Crs From and Crs To option on any VOR in the FMS would also be useful (assuming Nav DB logic can accept).  My post regarding option didn't yield any known ways to accomplish.

Would allow intercepts of Vector to Final approach courses, and potentially airways, in addition to intercepts between VOR radials.  Can imagine several ways could work, but would all look like a VTF, so assume might be doable. 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

I would like to propose modifying the "Nav Mode" data block to a single line, and making it an option for the top strip data block area.  I would like to be able to put this information next to the Nav Source Label in the top strip, so that these two pieces information are closer together.  I would also like the Nav Mode to always be visible.  I know the Nav Mode can be always visible in one of the left datablocks, but to me this is a less than ideal place for it.  And, this is where I'd like to have the "To Waypoint Information" so it too is also always visible, and I can't have both with the way I have the NAV/COM frequency blocks set up.
Thanks,
David

Just entered the idea in our candidate future feature database.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by comancheguytoo comancheguytoo wrote:

I'm on 10.1, haven't been able to figure a way to tap an airport or other waypoint using the touchscreen and activate direct to, without the old way of typing/dialing in identifier. 

You can't.

If that isn't option currently, I think it would be a useful feature.  Currently, when you select a vor or airport with the touchscreen and press direct to, it just tries to refresh direct to the current waypoint in the FMS.

Already in our candidate future feature database but I've updated that item to add this additional vote.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:23pm

Also think Crs From and Crs To option on any VOR in the FMS would also be useful (assuming Nav DB logic can accept).  My post regarding option didn't yield any known ways to accomplish.

Would allow intercepts of Vector to Final approach courses, and potentially airways, in addition to intercepts between VOR radials.  Can imagine several ways could work, but would all look like a VTF, so assume might be doable. 

Yes, this is coming in an upcoming software release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:03pm

Yes, this is coming in an upcoming software release.

So, are you talking here about the HDG nav mode that had to be backed out during cert?

If so, that would be great!

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:49pm
Cool on both, thanks Steve!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:25pm

So, are you talking here about the HDG nav mode that had to be backed out during cert?

If so, that would be great!

* Orest

No, that will be the mother of all cert fights to pull off.   I was talking about new datablocks with that data in the fields.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 9:47pm

No, that will be the mother of all cert fights to pull off.   I was talking about new datablocks with that data in the fields.

Well, I wish you strength in the battle! I think we'd all like to see it.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:35am

I have a feature wish for a future software version: Don't turn on (don't boot up) the IFD just because power is available.

I don't turn off my desk computer by yanking the cord out of the wall, and I don't turn off my avionics with the master switch.  I turn off each piece of equipment and then I turn off the master switch.

I recognize that there are pilots with the opposite behavior.  They leaves the radios "on" and expect everything to come up when they turn on the avionics master.  (I even recognize that this may be the majority behavior.)

To satisfy both camps, here is what I propose: If the pilot turns off the IFD deliberately/manually/normally (holds the volume/power button for the five-second countdown), then remember that action and do not automatically start the box the next time power is available.  Make the pilot push the volume/power button one time to turn it on.

Alternately, make the automatic power-up a feature that can be selected or deselected in the user options.

David Bunin

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 8:28am
Hi David-

I am afraid that I am in the camp of turning all of the avionics on and off using the avionics master, however I wanted to note that the AXP340 has the behavior that you describe. That is, if it is turned off via the switch, it remains off during the next power-up cycle until turned on with the switch. That has not caused any problem for me, and I would not object if the IFD540 worked the same way.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 9:00am
I agree with Bob.  When I throw my avionics master on, I expect everything to boot up. 

Edited by tony - 05 Nov 2015 at 9:00am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 10:04am
For normal ops, I don't see a reason to separately turn on/off each piece of avionics, vice having them come on/off with the avionics switch. Unlike a PC, they are designed for that, as far as I know.

The ASPEN is perhaps one exception. It has its own power/breaker switch, and changes to battery mode after power is pulled for a short bit. Don't know if it actually does something "useful" in that time.

However, in abnormal ops, such as triaging a possible electrical short/fire, you really do want the instruments to stay off, so you can cycle them one by one. With only a soft key type of power switch (with no physical state for ON/OFF) on the IFD540 you'd have to use its breakers to accomplish that. Not a biggie, and using the breakers for that purpose might be more definitive in any case.

But, all that said, having the IFD540 not come on when power is applied, if it has been powered off "manually", doesn't have any downsides that I can see.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Nov 2015 at 10:07am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 1:40pm

But, all that said, having the IFD540 not come on when power is applied, if it has been powered off "manually", doesn't have any downsides that I can see.

Thanks Orest.  I was going to point out that my request would have no affect on the pilot that prefers to use the avionics master (the other camp).

I will also say that the thing that made me think of this was a recent YouTube video about the IFD440, where they slide it into a rack (where the equipment above it in the stack is obviously already energized) and the person installing the IFD needs to press the power button before the unit turns on.  How did they do that?

David

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 1:57pm
While as a user I don't have an issue with the requested behavior being added, as a customer I see it as Avidyne spending resources on a solution without there being a problem.  I'd personally prefer their limited resources be spent in more productive ways.

There are plenty of electronic devices in the world that have no "on/off" switch other than main power being present or not.  For many of the devices that do have "on/off" switches, the electronics downstream of the swtich can't tell if power came on because the switch on the box was turned "on", or if that switch was already "on" and power was applied at a switch outside the box.

If the manufacturer has designed the box to be operated that way, why is it a problem?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 1:49pm

Quote I see it as Avidyne spending resources on a solution without there being a problem.

why is it a problem?

I understand what you're saying, but the title of this thread is not "Report a problem", it is "Wishlist for the next IFD software release".  I am merely voicing my wish, and I trust Avidyne to allocate their resources appropriately. If I'm asking for something easy, I'm sure they'll do it quickly. If I'm asking for something hard, I'm sure it will wait.  The only thing I insist on is that my wish be heard.

That said, I have been an Avionics Technician long enough to see that microprocessors always respond better to a controlled power-down than they do to a removal of power.  Maybe it will never manifest as an observable issue, but that still doesn't make it a best-practice.

Also, I happen to like equipment that obeys my commands.  When I turn the nav lights off, they don't turn themselves on the next time I start the plane.

Right now my avionics are a mixture of equipment with hard mode switches, and equipment with soft mode switches.  My wish is to standardize.

David Bunin

glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 6:07pm
David I respect your desire for "standardization" but lets get real. The 540 doesn't talk to a G*330 for starters, Aspen charges you to talk to their boxes and the hope that Capstone is the solutions seems all but flushed. Manufactures want to sell you as many boxes as they can, and rightly so.  Why offer integration with a competitor if you are selling a competing box? Back to your point, the world is changing quickly regarding avionics as we all know. If a box in my airplane can't handle a power off shutdown and restart I'm not buying it. I think manufacturers understand that there are those of us who chose to flip the "Off" switch and push it in the hangar...     
GDC25
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 6:30pm

This may not sound as important; however, to me it’s elementary and would like to add it to the wish list.

Go to:  AUX button, UTIL sub menu, Calculators, Trip Planner

Why is it that IFD540 cannot calculate my ETA as LCL (local time) without me setting the Local Time Offset in the AUX, SETUP menu?  If I am looking at UTC time that is universal no problem, but if I have the format set on 24Hr or 12Hr format then I need to know my destination LOCAL Time Offset in order to know what my ETA is at the destination in local time.  I also need to know what my LOCAL Time Offset is where I currently am in order to know what the local time is.  This means I have to remember the offset of different time zones and states.  Some time I fly through 2 time zones and I am not sure what time zone each state is in.  It also helps to send a message as to the LCL arrival time or as simple as looking at the LCL arrival time and determine if the Tower is going to be open or closed at the time of arrival.

The system knows my destination, it also knows where I am at any given time (it’s a GPS after all).  It should be able to give me the LCL time in the “Time” box in the Trip Planner, as well as calculate my local ETA time at the destination, taking the time zones and daytime savings under consideration without me having to change the settings in the SETUP menu.  My Phone does it!!!!!

Thanks,

Harmik
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Harmik Harmik wrote:

The system knows my destination, it also knows where I am at any given time (it’s a GPS after all).  It should be able to give me the LCL time in the “Time” box in the Trip Planner, as well as calculate my local ETA time at the destination, taking the time zones and daytime savings under consideration without me having to change the settings in the SETUP menu.  My Phone does it!!!!!

Yes, but your phone has access to the internet to get current time zone and DST information. While time zones don't change often, DST does. If a table of time zones was built into the software, it will become out of date and inaccurate somewhere in the world within less than 12 months. Your phone probably doesn't even bother with this - it just gets the current local time from the cell tower it's connected to.

I just set everything to UTC - as pilots we are used to dealing with this, and there are plenty of tools (like your phone) available to convert to whatever local time you want to.

Edited by clydeps - 10 Nov 2015 at 8:28pm
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 9:50pm

This may not sound as important; however, to me it’s elementary and would like to add it to the wish list.

Go to:  AUX button, UTIL sub menu, Calculators, Trip Planner

Why is it that IFD540 cannot calculate my ETA as LCL (local time) without me setting the Local Time Offset in the AUX, SETUP menu?  If I am looking at UTC time that is universal no problem, but if I have the format set on 24Hr or 12Hr format then I need to know my destination LOCAL Time Offset in order to know what my ETA is at the destination in local time.  I also need to know what my LOCAL Time Offset is where I currently am in order to know what the local time is.  This means I have to remember the offset of different time zones and states.  Some time I fly through 2 time zones and I am not sure what time zone each state is in.  It also helps to send a message as to the LCL arrival time or as simple as looking at the LCL arrival time and determine if the Tower is going to be open or closed at the time of arrival.

Not easy to do, see this earlier discussion...

http://avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=733&KW=offset&title=local-time-offset

Edited by DH82FLYER - 11 Nov 2015 at 5:19am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:37am

My Phone does it!!!!!
No, it doesn't.  The ground-based infrastructure of your cell service provider does it...your phone simply displays it.

Edited by MysticCobra - 11 Nov 2015 at 3:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:40am
Originally posted by DH82FLYER DH82FLYER wrote:

Not easy to do, see this earlier discussion...

http://avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=733&KW=offset&title=local-time-offset

FTFY.
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:43am
My wish list is:
- Auto load charts to destination airport with ability to change.
- RAIM check in easier location or data block since part of flight plan check list.
- Airspace alarm not engaging until time or altitude after takeoff.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:47am
Originally posted by lolsen94 lolsen94 wrote:

My wish list is:
...  RAIM check in easier location or data block since part of flight plan check list.

Just as an aside, regs do not require in-flight RAIM checks for WAAS GPS devices with FDE, nor is doing so very meaningful.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Nov 2015 at 9:50am
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 4:50pm

We should have the SDK sign up mechanism online in the next week or so.  When it is, I'll create a new thread for the topic.

ADS-B traffic from the MLB100 is in the next major software release ("10.2.0.0").

Could you please help me find the SDK?   I have been searching both the forums and the avidyne website to no avail.  I would like to know what API's are available in both the read-only and the read-write SDK's.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 5:04pm
A suggestion for a future release for the IFDs.
On a recent trip, I thought I might be losing oil pressure, (I wasn't) so as I was monitoring that situation, I kept the nearest airport page selected just in case.  When you first turn to the nearest page, the nearest airport is highlighted with a blue circle and has a selection box around it in the list.  I know you can scroll down that list and see each airport highlighted with a blue circle.  I wanted to stay on that page and keep the closest airport always in mind.  As I flew although the closest airport changed, the display kept the blue circle on the original closest airport and the box on the original closest airport in the list.  I'd like to suggest that this closest airport update so that the blue box and highlighted airport in the list, changes as you fly.  Of course, you should still be able to scroll down the list and see the locations of all the other airports as now, but perhaps, after scrolling,  if you leave the display on another selected airport, it would time out and jump back to the nearest airport after a determined amount of time.  (almost like the pan ahead feature).  Just a thought............
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 5:57pm
+1. Nearest should mean nearest, makes no sense to look down the list to see initial airport and press top selection for the REAL nearest. Great point.
GDC25
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:05pm
Also miss the "G" schedule page on the 530, nice to have a reminder of things like IFR Cert date reminder, oil change hour countdown, annual reminder, etc...
GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Freff Freff wrote:

Could you please help me find the SDK?   I have been searching both the forums and the avidyne website to no avail.  I would like to know what API's are available in both the read-only and the read-write SDK's.

We never got around to posting the SDK signup on the web.  If you send me your contact info via email, I'll shoot back some info for you to get started.   Use sjacobson@avidyne.com please.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

A suggestion for a future release for the IFDs.
On a recent trip, I thought I might be losing oil pressure, (I wasn't) so as I was monitoring that situation, I kept the nearest airport page selected just in case.  When you first turn to the nearest page, the nearest airport is highlighted with a blue circle and has a selection box around it in the list.  I know you can scroll down that list and see each airport highlighted with a blue circle.  I wanted to stay on that page and keep the closest airport always in mind.  As I flew although the closest airport changed, the display kept the blue circle on the original closest airport and the box on the original closest airport in the list.  I'd like to suggest that this closest airport update so that the blue box and highlighted airport in the list, changes as you fly.  Of course, you should still be able to scroll down the list and see the locations of all the other airports as now, but perhaps, after scrolling,  if you leave the display on another selected airport, it would time out and jump back to the nearest airport after a determined amount of time.  (almost like the pan ahead feature).  Just a thought............

I'll have a look.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic