Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wishlist for the next IFD software release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 9:40am
For "Rubber-banded" waypoints the ability to rename them and save them as "User" waypoints would be nice. I know I can write down the Lat/Long shown for a RB waypoint and then use that to create a user waypoint but it could be a lot easier.
Ron L
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 9:50pm
When I am on the map page, I see category flags and I touch an airport to see information. I would find it very helpful if the pop up window had an icon for the full airport info and wx. This seems a more intuitive way rather than have to find a nearest or other key to press.   
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by PeterC PeterC wrote:

When I am on the map page, I see category flags and I touch an airport to see information. I would find it very helpful if the pop up window had an icon for the full airport info and wx. This seems a more intuitive way rather than have to find a nearest or other key to press.   

I agree.  Perhaps I need to get used to it, but it seems to take a lot of button presses to get info on something. Darn confusing actually until I found the "Paste" LSK.  I can't say I miss my ancient Apollo GX-50 at all, but I do miss its "Info" hard button that gave you info on anything you had highlighted.
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:00pm
I  would like the boundaries of an airport's circling approach areas (Cat A - E)  to be depicted on the map when a specific approach procedure for that airport is entered into the Flight Plan.  The radii defining the circling approach area are determined by the both the approach category (i.e., airspeed) and MDA of the selected approach procedure.  Avidyne could depict all 5 areas, or, better, could give the pilot the option to specify the approach category.  The approach category could be set by a Setup User Option.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 11:25am
I can't seem to get the countdown timer listed on the right hand side of the Data block.  Is there a way to list it there?  And it would be nice if when counting down to zero it gave me an alert in the bottom right corner.
My transponder still reports I'm at 64,300' when transitioning under the JFK Bravo at 300' during high pressure (30.4" Hg).  If I turn off the IFD the transponder reports the correct altitude.
10.11 didn't seem to fix it.
JWJ
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 12:30pm
"My transponder still reports I'm at 64,300' when transitioning under the JFK Bravo at 300' during high pressure (30.4" Hg).  If I turn off the IFD the transponder reports the correct altitude.
10.11 didn't seem to fix it. "

That is really strange.  Do you know how your encoder / transponder / IFD are connected?  Many modern encoders support the older analog "Gray code" plus two RS232 ports.  The manual suggests using RS232 because it has 10' resolution vs. 100' resolution for the older gray code (better for traffic avoidance).  Anyway there are a variety of ways they can all be connected (plus the MLB100) as they all need baro altitude. 
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 1:13pm
I'll bet you are wired for the gray code, and the high altitude bit is only connected between the IFD and the xpdr, not to your encoder. It is not usually connected. Wiring error by your installer. It might be miswired, but even if the wiring is correct (proper gray code pins on each device) unless the encoder is connected it's a bad idea to connect the two inputs.
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:21pm
Yes my installer and Avidyne had several discussions, during the MLB100 installation, and I insisted Avidyne provide a wiring diagram to the installer, which they did.  The installer wired it as per Avidyne instructions.  Yes I want the 10'precision and not the gray code.
JWJ
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:23pm
Got any ideas about the count down timer and  allowing a user option to add it to an alert message?
JWJ
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:20am
It's in the candidate database. No specific release tagged to it at this time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by jwjenks jwjenks wrote:

Got any ideas about the count down timer and  allowing a user option to add it to an alert message?

Wait, I may have misinterpreted.  Are you asking about the "Generic Timer" from the Timers page?   When set to "Down" and you start that countdown timer, it will issue a Cyan CAS message that says "Timer Expired" when it reaches zero time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:59pm
Where do I look for the Cyan message?
In the bottom right corner where the rest of the alerts show up?
JWJ
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:42pm
Yes, bottom right.

You can also look on the AUX | notices page for the details.

* Orest

jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:27am
Any chance of allowing a user activated audible alarm?
JWJ
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:07pm
As I understand it the IFD radios are actually software-defined.  Are there enough unused DSP cycles to create a receiver instance which simply monitors 121.5 and alerts if it detects a carrier?  This would work nicely with the new quick guard frequency selection feature.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by ronl ronl wrote:

For "Rubber-banded" waypoints the ability to rename them and save them as "User" waypoints would be nice. I know I can write down the Lat/Long shown for a RB waypoint and then use that to create a user waypoint but it could be a lot easier.

Ohh, that's a good one.  Just entered in candidate database.  Thanks!
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:22pm

Are you talking about the METAR flags and do you therefore have datalink onboard?  If so, have you noticed that when touching an airfield you should see at least two pages for the pop up info box and by touching the popup box while it's up, you can step through the pages, the last one of which should present the textual METAR?  That's what I do all the time for that info and very rarely go to the INFO tab and do pasting.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by LarryPetro LarryPetro wrote:

I  would like the boundaries of an airport's circling approach areas (Cat A - E)  to be depicted on the map when a specific approach procedure for that airport is entered into the Flight Plan.  The radii defining the circling approach area are determined by the both the approach category (i.e., airspeed) and MDA of the selected approach procedure.  Avidyne could depict all 5 areas, or, better, could give the pilot the option to specify the approach category.  The approach category could be set by a Setup User Option.

Okay, just entered this one in the database too.   Sounds complicated but we've got it captured and will review, by definition, at the start of every software release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:24pm

Any chance of allowing a user activated audible alarm?

Not sure I understand the question/request.  Can you elaborate?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

As I understand it the IFD radios are actually software-defined.  Are there enough unused DSP cycles to create a receiver instance which simply monitors 121.5 and alerts if it detects a carrier?  This would work nicely with the new quick guard frequency selection feature.

Yes it could be done but what do you envision doing with that?   We're both flying in MA area and I hear chatter on Guard on a surprisingly frequent basis.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 5:52pm
Re Audible alarm:  What I would like is to be able to add a beep, or tone, at the end of a count down timer.  Or what I would really like is download is what I have in my model airplane transmitter - the ability to download my own audio file;  Like:
  "Put down the gear stupid".
   Or:   "It's time to change tanks - or do you want to log glider time"?
JWJ
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 4:42pm
I started a new thread:

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1053&title=hours-and-minutes

And then thought that I could have just added it to this one.  Sorry for the duplicate.

David

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Wait, I may have misinterpreted.  Are you asking about the "Generic Timer" from the Timers page?   When set to "Down" and you start that countdown timer, it will issue a Cyan CAS message that says "Timer Expired" when it reaches zero time.

I think having a timer datablock would also be useful.  Touch it and it would bring up options for count up, count down, reset, be able to set a value, etc.  It would create a alert when it reaches zero.  This way it can be up and displayed the entire time instead of having to go to the timers.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 6:21pm
I've got a new one.  I'd like to have a timer that will work off of fuel used and fuel remaining.  On the longer trips, I manage fuel this way:  

Start with 74 gallons
Burn one tank (usually the left) down 20.0 gallons.
Switch to the other tank and burn it to empty (about 40 gallons)
Then switch to the first tank and I know exactly how much fuel I have left, and more importantly, it is all in one place.

I'd like to be able to set a custom timer to alert me when I've burned 20.0 gallons (fuel used).  I'd want a second timer to alert me when I've burned 58.0 gallons so I can switch before the tank runs dry (wife doesn't appreciate that).

I'd like a timer to tell me when I have 15 gallons remaining (about 1.25 hrs left).
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 12:11pm
Simpson and Steve, is there any (I really hate this word) process to get some formal input from your customers on which of the suggestions we make here are most highly thought of?  I know we fill up this wishlist topic quickly with a ton of suggestions.  

I have to say the 10.2 release features are amazing, and I know you said you review your list internally each release, but how do you judge, or do you judge, our input, other than anecdotally?  Would that make it more difficult for you to plan what Avidyne wants to do?  The reason I'm asking is that I see suggestions in the topic, and sometimes say "great idea", but don't want to clutter the thread with +1s all the time.

Once again, I have to commend you on your commitment to your customers with this forum and what you share on it.  If you are looking for greater connection with your customers, I believe you have it.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:22pm
Geoffrey, yours was added the other day to the candidate list.

Peter, the best process is to send me crisp $100 bills to my home address. But when that doesn't happen, we have internal review sessions where we evaluate the candidate list and rack/stack them. It's usually my call where the line gets drawn. We have been toying with online voting efforts but that hasn't proven to be a viable approach yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:24pm
In other words, they're afraid of what might happen if we were allowed to vote for the banana.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:55pm
Banana, Banana, Banana ...

Actually, from what Jake has said, the Banana is coming, sometime.

Same with the user defined FIX circles/radials.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 May 2016 at 6:56pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 7:03pm
That's the plan.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:50pm
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:29pm
And I thought The path for Orest was a $100 (US) bill sent to Steve. But now it seems it won't cost anything😀 Congratulations, Orest. I think it will be a great feature.
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 11:03am
Put an audible alarm on the count down timer for tank switch. 
JWJ
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:20pm

And I thought The path for Orest was a $100 (US) bill sent to Steve. But now it seems it won't cost anything😀 Congratulations, Orest. I think it will be a great feature.

Wasn't the ask a packet of $100s?

Some of us are eager to see this feature just so we can see how it advances the field of aviation <g>.

Edited by ddgates - 02 May 2016 at 12:21pm
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 1:00pm
Here Ya go Steve...My request list will follow.  :) :)

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:32am
Here's a small wish to fit into the release plan at some point:
- add a "-" character to the on-screen keyboard.

Reason:
I avoid creating routes on the route tab "new route", because the first prompt is for a route name. The default when creating a route on the FMS tab is "Origin-Destination". This format can't be used on the route tab due to the lack of "-" on the on-screen kb. So route sequence on the route tab is out of order if some of the routes are created on the route tab and some on the fms tab, unless the fms tab default name is changed once it is copied to the routes..... not a big deal, but a bit of a pita.

Vince
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 8:19am
I prefer the traffic representation on Foreflight, i.e. arrow with line extending to indicate relative speed, to the diamond that does not indicate direction, nor speed currently displayed on the IFD. Any chance to change to a Traffic Icon similar to Foreflight?
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:01am
FWIW, the arrow motif isn't a "Foreflight" display, just the newer ADS-B traffic representation. The diamonds are standard TCAS/TAS display, and have been around for decades.

The arrows will likely come, hopefully as just an option, in a future release.

* Orest
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:22am
Appendix 2 of AC 20-172A specifies the symbol formats for traffic in certified ADS-B systems. I remember seeing a similar document that outlined the symbology for METARs (thus explaining why a cyan flag means "VFR" rather than a green one, as we see in Foreflight et al) but a quick search didn't turn that up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 12:52pm
My understanding is that a dispute over compliance with AC 20-172A Appendix 2 was one of the core reasons that Avidyne does not call the icons I see on my IFD "ADS-B traffic" even though they source from the ADS-B data.

Always fun to have a difference of opinion with your regulating body.
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:11pm
I'm trying to understand why anyone would prefer a generic diamond to an arrow representation that implies direction of travel and relative speed at a glance. Orest infers that he prefers the diamond, and Avidyne Engineers also seems to prefer the diamond. Everyone referenced is smarter than I am.  What am I missing?
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:54pm
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:55pm
Nice to see that we have a female in the center of that hunk of paper currency!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:01pm
As David mentions it was a regulatory issue that led to classic traffic icons, rather than an Avidyne preference (I think).

I don't have any trouble visualizing direction and speed from the current display, and to me it is less cluttered and more familiar as well. But it is not a strong preference.

* Orest
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 3:59pm
Right.  This is not an Avidyne preference.  The original traffic we supported was pure TAS and we strictly adhered to the regs governing exactly how they were/are presented.

With Release 10.2.0.0, we added support for TIS traffic which does add the directional barbs.  We also added all the extra symbology that is encouraged for ADS-B sourced traffic (which does not apply to TAS traffic).  

By way of illustration, here are some pix of ADS-B sourced traffic in Release 10.2.0.0 including the map overlay and the traffic thumbnail:

Here is a standard intruder, moving at 200 knots.  Barb is always same color as intruder and does not appear in tile or for on-gnd targets.

Now he has become “Proximate” (within 6nm and 1200 ft).  We determine Prox status in the IFD.

Here is a zoomed in view of that 200 kt intruder getting marked as a TA; the barb is longer so that it still indicates expected position in 30 seconds.  

And, just for good measure directional ground vehicle

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 4:06pm
Looks good to me.

I will have a good comparison by having TAS-A (someday?) on one and TIS on the other IFD.

David
David Gates
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:36pm
I likey!
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by dubs dubs wrote:

I'm trying to understand why anyone would prefer a generic diamond to an arrow representation that implies direction of travel and relative speed at a glance. Orest infers that he prefers the diamond, and Avidyne Engineers also seems to prefer the diamond. Everyone referenced is smarter than I am.  What am I missing?

If you dig around a little, you can find a couple of tech reports where some bright stars (from Johns Hopkins, maybe? I disremember) studied how quickly and accurately commercial pilots could identify various symbol sets in a simulator. The icons required by the FAA are based on the results of that research. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 5:40pm
Nice pictures, Steve!

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

With Release 10.2.0.0, we added support for TIS traffic which does add the directional barbs.  We also added all the extra symbology that is encouraged for ADS-B sourced traffic (which does not apply to TAS traffic). 

Question, when the TAS "A" support arrives, will the representation of data from a TAS6xxA on the IFD be ADS-B style, TAS style, or mixed bogie to bogie, depending on the source (ADS-B vice TAS) of the data?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 May 2016 at 7:12pm
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 8:44pm
The traffic symbology study I ran across was from Lincoln Labs, iirc.  (I know I saved it somewhere, but I can't currently find it.)   But I don't think it used the symbols on a map with relief or a sectional, which I suspect might have altered the outcome, at least wrt colors.

The results are the basis of AC20-172B.  And that, btw, does not include the velocity vectors on the traffic symbols, which I find *really* useful.   That deviation from AC20-172B will probably cost Avidyne some time with the FAA...

The open source app Avare uses the diamond symbols, but with the vector for directionality and velocity, the "Asteroids ship" symbol in AC20-172 becomes superfluous.

I would speculate that the diamond symbols of TAS (and I think TIS-A) were  selected because the directional information in the messaging was too coarse.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic