Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simulator - software versions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 11:44am

"The rest of the world version should go up next week. "

I have installed S/W version R.10.0.0.0, which is running pretty bad, a lot of chrashes.

What is the newest release, and when goes it up?

Klaus

Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 3:39pm
Hi Klaus,

We just posted the ROW version.  Should be available for download now.  Hope this works out better for you.  If it doesn't, it is likely your combo of processor and graphics processor.  Let us know.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:14pm
There are a couple of open simulator questions or observations.

One was a note that custom datablock settings are not retained across sim sessions and can we provide that capability - I had forgotten that we intentionally made this change to the sim a few weeks ago at the request of our Sales crew who were repeatedly demo'ing the system and part of their demo was datablock setup so each time a guy started up the sim, the datablocks were non-standard and they found this confusing.   I suppose we can switch back to normal behavior like the flight boxes if there is a strong enough groundswell of desire.   Anybody care to comment strongly?

Another sim issue was that the Traffic shield (Normal, Above, Below, Unlimited, etc) could not be set via the traffic thumbnail - was this normal?   That was a good find and it was a bug in the sim code.  That has since been corrected but we haven't yet reposted a new sim with that fix.  Will try to do that next week.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:30pm
I would like the simulator config  to look like my unit (When I get it) 

The same confusion would exist when I want to try something on the Sim before I do it for real.

I have got lots of practice changing the data on the screen in the set up menus.

Ed

Ed
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 4:58pm
Quote  I suppose we can switch back to normal behavior like the flight boxes if there is a strong enough groundswell of desire.   Anybody care to comment strongly?

Absolutely, positively, YES. Please "return" it to normal behavior. 
  • Setup of the screen is something that everyone will want to experiment with, and to have to start from scratch every time in the simulator makes that kind of useless.
  • Further, once you have a setup done, you will surely want the simulator to popup the SAME way that you have it configured in the plane!
You could always add an external "reset" button outside of the simulator, for the sales folks. I presume you just need to clean up some registry data.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Apr 2014 at 5:04pm
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:33pm
Do the sales people have the same problem with the custom datablocks when demonstrating using a real unit?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 2:58am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Absolutely, positively, YES. Please "return" it to normal behavior.
<snip>
You could always add an external "reset" button outside of the simulator, for the sales folks. I presume you just need to clean up some registry data.
I agree.  Sim like you fly, fly like you sim!

Here's another possible solution for the sales guys:  Keep the same version of the sim they're currently using, and don't load the new (fixed) one you're about to release for the rest of us.

Everybody's happy.

Edited by MysticCobra - 19 Apr 2014 at 2:58am
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 4:27am
Agreed.  Please make the simulator behave like the actual flight units, and accommodate demo needs either via a preference setting or a demo-specific reset utility.

Thanks!
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:56am
Hi Scott-

I strongly agree that the simulator should remember the datablock setup between start cycles. I am not using it as a sales tool, but as an important means for learning to use the equipment, and I would expect it to behave like the real IFD540 in this regard.

Also, can you remind us of the status of LP approaches using the IFD540? I tried the RNAV-Y 12 approach to Gary, IN (GYY), which has LP minima, and I only received an LNAV annunciation.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:19am
Okay, the datablock retention is going back in.  We'll post an updated sim version early in the week that has that change and the traffic thumbnail fix.

We'll also build it with the correct Jepp database that includes the LP approach minima so that choice will show up in the FMS.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:25am
Good Morning Steve, 

Totally agree wth Bob II

Since I am seriously computer challenged, I need all the help I can get! <NG>

If the simulator teaches me wrong, I am in deep trouble.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:28am
Quote We'll post an updated sim version early in the week that has that change ... 

Thanks a lot Steve!

* Orest

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:56am
Steve-

Thanks, and sorry for the name confusion. I am acquainted with someone who shares your last name and first initial, and the old synapses just made an erroneous connection.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:20am
Thanks for the datablock retention fix although it has been good practice setting them up over and over again. Initially I was a little disappointed with the sim since my only previous experience with a simulator was the G600/530W product with synthetic vision which you could fly like a video game. However, after flying the 540 sim around north Florida and south Georgia yesterday with all the weather data displayed and approaches loaded in the dual sim configuration I got really excited about the capability of the unit and the sim. I have found that when running the dual version for a while the program gets out of sync whereby one unit is maybe 10 seconds ahead of the other before it ultimately freezes but nothing a restart won't fix.  
GDC25
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Quote <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> I suppose we can switch back to normal behavior like the flight boxes if there is a strong enough groundswell of desire.   Anybody care to comment strongly?
">Absolutely, positively, YES. Please "return" it to normal behavior..   

+1

Edited by Leonard - 21 Apr 2014 at 2:59pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:22pm
Are you still having performance issues with your sim software server setup? I have tried for a couple weeks without success to download the ROW version (1.56GB). I can't seem to get much past 300MB.

I have 100Mb internet access. I just downloaded the new PG and the 8.5MB took about 10sec. Same for the latest JeppView update of 24MB and took about 50sec. I regularly download JeppView updates and other aviation software between 50MB and 150MB and 0.5MB/sec is pretty average throughput.

I made another go downloading the sim software over the Easter weekend and just let it run. I stopped it at 318MB after running 3 days as it wasn't increasing any more.

Vince

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 12:38pm
Steve,

It seems something was done, as 1.5GB download started working today….. took just under an hour.

Many thanks.
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 1:05pm
Sort of.

Two days ago, we posted the updated sim version (traffic shield selectable, datablocks persist across power cycles, and LP approaches are selectable) but we had an issue with links on the mirror server.

The Rest-of-World option is still using the mirror server for fast downloads however the Americas version is not and takes longer.    I got over my IT head in trying to fix that and gave up in favor of waiting for the IT guy to get back from vacation early next week.

So R-O-W guys should have good luck but I'm not optimistic on Americas guys for a few more days.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 1:25pm
When comes the updated version of ROW?
Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 9:13pm
ROW and America's were both updated a few days ago.   As of today, we also got the mirror server working again for the America's version.  So, both should be "quick" downloads.

The most recent changes to the sims are:

1.  Traffic Shield (BELOW, ABOVE, NORMAL, etc) are now selectable like they should have been.
2.  Datablock setup persists across power cycles.
3.  LP approaches are included in the Nav database now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:22pm
It doesn't seem like I can control the altitude in the simulator anymore by setting vertical constraints in the flight plan.  Has that changed?  Is there another way to control the simulation settings now that I missed?
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 6:32am
I was going to install the new simulator, and tried to uninstall the old version. The uninstall function in the Control Panel provided a dialog box asking if I wanted to uninstall the program, but after answering in the affirmative, nothing happened. This is with Windows 8.1. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 6:42am
I just deleted mine (Windows 7) from the Desktop level before installing the new one and that worked fine.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 9:17pm
Hi Steve-

I appreciate the reply regarding deleting the old simulator and am sorry to be so dense. All I have on my Desktop are shortcuts to the IFD540 simulator, and it seems unlikely that deleting them will have an impact on installing the new one. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 9:24am
To get the control panel delete to work I had to reboot first and after the file unzip I had to reboot again to get the install going but that did it.
GDC25
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 9:51am
Hi Glassanza-

Well, I should have remembered the old rule to reboot when anything does not work as expected. Your suggestion did the trick. Many thanks!

Bob

Edited by PA20Pacer - 27 Apr 2014 at 9:51am
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 10:34am
While using the new version of the simulator, I seem to have traffic following me around, resulting in numerous nuisance alerts and cluttering up the map screen. There is no traffic thumbnail on the left side of the screen. Is there a way to turn off the traffic display?

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 10:54am
I may have answered my own question regarding traffic. When I displayed the traffic thumbnail and changed the traffic alert mode to either ABOVE or BELOW, the "ghost" traffic seemed to disappear. I am still not sure what I was seeing.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 11:51am
I find the traffic humorous - the simulated airplane is a magnet for other airplanes!  The algorithm selected for the simulator to generate traffic alerts seems to have a very strong bias towards crossing paths.  Targets don't pass in the distance at a constant altitude - they are always climbing or descending through my altitude, and intersect my course line at my location.  Amazing!  I hope I don't discover that real traffic does that...

Also: I noticed that when I was running the simulator in accelerated mode (to get to my destination) and zoomed the display, the traffic icons zoomed also, and it typically took several seconds for them to rescale.  I expect this is an artifact of the simulation (and the load on the processor).  Is this true?
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:50pm
Getting to spend some quality time with the simulator this weekend.

Questions about Nav frequencies:
1.  Is it true that VLOC is not simulated?  (I think you posted this before, but I can't find it.) 
1a.  If so, any chance this will be added to the simulator? I'd like to familiarize myself with the VLOC-related features.
1b.   Is the "check navaid" message simulated correctly?  The long text is"Decoded navaid Identifier did not match approach navaid".  The wording of the message implies " I tuned a real signal, it just wasn't expected", vs. "no signal found".  And the description in the manual supports the former.  Suggest at least clarification in the manual if the message long text can't be updated to something like "Approach Navaid ID not found."

2.  Simulator does not autotune the localizers.  Seems like even if the signals aren't simulated, the autotune behavior should occur.  I verified that it is configured for autotune on the Setup page.

3.  The only mechanism I've found to tune navaids (besides explicit frequency entry) is entering the three-digit ID of VORs.  This doesn't seem to work for localizers (For I-SEE, I tried "ISEE", "SEE", and I SEE").  Is there a means to quick tune localizers? 

4.  Similarly, I expected the "Freq" button to work for navaids when the NAV frequency entry was selected, but no joy there either.    Any way to quickly find and tune nearby VORs? 
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 8:55pm
Just loaded the ipad sim app.....awesome!

I was able to do more on the 540 in 5" than i was on my 530 after watching youtube vids, reading the manual, and flying with it for an hour. To say the Avidyne 540 is far more intuitive than the Garmin unit would be a huge understatement! I'm stoked!
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 10:07am
A question and a suggestion:

When was the PC simulator last updated?  With my IFD 540 shipping next week, I want to make sure I get the most out of my sim-time.

Suggestion:
Add a version, date, or release notes for the current simulator download to the simulator download page.  That will save us time and Avidyne bandwidth since we'll have a means to see if the latest version matches the one we already installed.

Jon
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 7:48pm
Hasn't been updated in quite some time.  I think I'll try to get an update out to be roughly coincident with Release 10.0.2.0 in a few weeks.

It isn't exactly what you're asking for (yet) but you can tell what version it is by going to the AUX button, SYS tab, then making sure the "Select" line select key on the left is set to "Software".  Then the second row is "S/W Part #" and that version equals the release version.

It is the exact flight code so adding a special field would be problematic but we should definitely be able to add the version, date and release notes on the download page (which is probably what you're asking for).   We'll try to do that with the 10.0.2.0 version in a few weeks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 7:57pm
Quote We'll try to do that with the 10.0.2.0 version in a few weeks.

Good to hear that it is getting fairly close now.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic