Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bitchin' Betty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bitchin' Betty
    Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 10:47am
Jake ...

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/June/5/The-people-behind-the-voices-in-your-cockpit.aspx
"The people behind the voices"

So, now I have a face to your posts.

In any case, nice article. Can you say what the IFD540 (without the full TAWS package) might actually say to us?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Jun 2013 at 10:49am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:40pm
It's not a pretty face....

We have 83 .wav files recorded and stored in the IFD540s.  We're only using a tiny subset of those for the first release - the rest are for potential future adds/capability (and I won't go into those for competitively sensitive reasons).

We are including Terrain Awareness (TA) and Forward Looking Terrain Alerting (FLTA) in the initial release for all customers.  FLTA is a major part of certified TAWS and has a few aurals associated with it.  Those include:

Terrain Warning
Obstacle Warning
Terrain Caution
Obstacle Caution

(The actual phrase is user/installer selectable and exactly compliant with the TAWS TSO).

We also have a  Top of Descent chime (and associated CAS message) in the initial release.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:37pm
Now, now.

Looking forward to the TOD chime, and EVERYTHING else for that matter. ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Jun 2013 at 10:38pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:29am
Will the bitchin betty warnings be part of the baseilne IFD540 or is that part of a more complete package that requires other hardware or components?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 8:59am
It's part of the baseline.

You will need an audio panel that has some unswitched/unmuted input lines but if you do, you'll be all set. 

One asterisk is associated with that however.  For many installs, there is already a wire connecting the back of the existing 530 tray to the airplane audio panel - in those cases, the system is 100% plug and play.  For those installs that don't have an existing wire connecting the audio out pin of the tray to one of the unswitched/unmuted input lines of the audio panel, it will need to be added in order to hear the various .wav files and TOD chime.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 1:41pm
Couple of questions:

If you have two IFD 540s, can you make one the master and one the backup?  I don't think the pilot will want two units independently bitching on an unswitched input.  Can you mute the function in the setup?  Will the IFD 440 have the same functionality?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 7:18pm
Yes, the units are told at time of install how many units are installed in the airplane and what position each is in.  They use that information to self-suppress when appropriate.

We have a notion of "global" and "local" alerts in dual IFD installs.  Global alerts are known by both IFDs and the appropriate amount of double alerting is prevented.

And yes, the IFD440 has the same functionality.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 7:27pm
Is there any chance you can allow users to install different .wav files - if not in the real GPS then maybe in the simulator?  I can see replacing the "Terrain!" warning with my mother saying "Oy, Vey, we're gonna crash!".

More seriously, being able to select the pilot's native or preferred language for alerts would be useful.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 7:37pm
We agree that it's a neat feature to have some setup/user option influence on the gender/language/phraseology for the various alerts.  We didn't include that capability in the initial release but it is a candidate for possible future adds.

It'll have to compete with a lot of other great candidate features/changes so we'll have to see how it plays out in the future.

As a side note, it's not completely free from a certification perspective.  All .wav files are considered data and have some cert overhead associated with each one.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 10:48pm
... so I expect that is the reason you are loading them all in now, even if they may not be used for while.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 9:35am
Yup.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 8:56pm
Are you taking requests??? 
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 6:33pm
Maybe.  Do you have any aural alerting requests?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 6:48pm
"Good day, ready to go!"

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jun 2013 at 6:53pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 6:53pm
We'll add that to the stable of stored .wav files.  Not sure when or if we'll actually start using it but we'll have Rene do that extra recording.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:27pm
I understand some commands may have to be "certified" but it may be nice to put some user controllable ones in there.  For example, it would be nice to have an "pre-landing checklist" alert user definable as an AGL height such as 2000 feet or as a time like 2 minutes out, or at the FAF.  How about user defined height above the ground in case we are on an ILS with personal minimums higher than published, it would still be nice to hear a "minimums" that we can define.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 7:54am
One of the aurals we recorded for potential future use is "Minimums" and one of the candidates for future feature adds includes an ability for a user to create a set of personal minimums like you suggest.

We're having a difficult time trying to find a mechanism for a user to create their own set of aurals and their own associated triggers.  That all has to be housed in certified flight code and that's the current rub.

For now, its a deferred feature idea that we'll hopefully come back to at a later date.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 10:21am
My request is a landing gear reminder for those of us exposed to that hazard.  The trigger might be something like "descending, less than 1000 ft agl, at destination airport".  It should only operate once for a given approach.  This would not cover all scenarios, but the buzzer is still there, and "Perfect" is often the enemy of "good enough".

I've seen enough youtube videos of pilots landing gear up with the gear buzzer blaring to know that the standard buzzer is a lousy solution.
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 10:27am
Agreed. "Check Gear" is one of those .wav files we've already included in that group of potential future features. To be clear, we're including that file in initial release but we are not triggering it in the initial release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 11:25am
I was originally thinking about "check gear down", but thought "pre-landing checklist" would be more universal and include more than just gear.  I can always use the gear alert for the landing checklist.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 1:11pm
Are you going to have one that says "You are not allowed to disassemble this software"?

And maybe startup messages (which could be configured off) such as "GPS is active" and "Database is current"?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 3:33pm
Steve, now the check Gear one intrigues me.  How will you determine the state of the gear?  If I need to be wiring things up for future upgrades, I’d sure like to know before I tear into my panel to do the 540 install.  Will all the future functionality be documented in an ICD in time for my 540 installation so I can make the appropriate installation decsions?

Edited by tony - 14 Jun 2013 at 3:34pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 5:13pm
It really doesn't matter the state of the gear, you still need to make the check.

The more generic "landing checklist" callout, covers it nicely. You would complete (or confirm you have completed) the checklist, all hanging, stable approach, etc.

* Orest
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 8:46pm
All good stuff.  We haven't thought through all the details of the system level implementation.  We just tried to think of a slew of potential alerts, recorded them as .wav files, and are storing them in the system for the potential future use.

I wouldn't make any aircraft wiring decisions based on this list just yet.  I can imagine using some kind of discrete to know the state of the gear or a more generic trigger that didn't involve wiring.  In either case, it's not in the initial release.

I'm going to schedule another recording session with Rene so any other suggestions for aurals are fair game.  Any other ideas?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 10:39pm
Steve, I'm going to be honest with you.  When you say "a more generic trigger that didn't involve wiring" kinda scares me.  Please don't give me an aural that says check landing gear on every approach because I wont hear it after the third approach.  You are going to have to know the state of the gear. Now with that being said, I would love to have protection from me being an idiot.  That's the one thing I'm afraid I'm going to do someday, forget to put down the gear.

The only alert I can think of, besides the standard stuff, is I would like to know when the WAAS signal goes invalid so I know the minimums are higher.

Edited by tony - 14 Jun 2013 at 10:41pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 11:15pm
"Entering Runway xxx"

"After Takeoff Checklist"

* Orest

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 11:15pm
She should sing "Daisy Bell", better known as "Bicycle Built for Two".  (If you don't know why, look up John Larry Kelly Jr in Wikipedia.)  If she can't sing, just recite the first line.

Edited by Paul - 14 Jun 2013 at 11:16pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 11:50am
Couple good ones in there.  If I remember correctly, the Daisy Bell reference was used by HAL (I went to high school and lived 1/4 mile from Bell Labs in Murray Hill NJ) among other things.

We'll try to avoid those kinds of aural recordings in these products.....

BTW, a lot of these will be user selectable in that you can turn them on or off per your personal preferences.  Some people may want a specific aural alert and others may find it annoying so you'll have the ability to turn them on/off per your own desires.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 12:40pm
But Daisy would be the perfect Easter egg in the simulator (under an #ifdef so it isn't in the actual product).

Will the GPS be able to say informational messages such as "Minimum decision altitude" or "Going missed" or "disconnecting autopilot"?  Or does it not have enough information?
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 7:27am
Is there a RAIM warning message?  ADS-B weather received or lost? Messages about iPad or tablet connected (if you plan such a capability)?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:21am
The IFD540 comes with a full Caution Alerting System (CAS) which provides a message (Red Warning, Yellow Caution, or Cyan Advisory) on those kinds of system conditions.

In fact, for the RAIM alert, not only does it tell you that you don't have the needed integrity for the requested approach, it's also directive in nature in that it tells you explicitly what new set of minimums to use.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 4:23pm
Overspeed, trigger user customizable to their aircraft, may not be too useful since it'll be measuring ground speed instead of airspeed.
Check Altitude, when you get too far off your desired altitude or below the glideslope by a margin
Check Heading, when your cross track error goes beyond a threshold
Low Fuel, can be based on a sensor such as fuel flow or estimated based on full entered into the system and a profile defined in the system
Switch Tanks

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:51pm
Isn't RAIM obsolete with the incorporation of WAAS? 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:56pm
Largely, but a RAIM check is still important for a WAAS enabled navigator -- for when/if the WAAS system goes down. A WAAS failure would be announced by NOTAM.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Jun 2013 at 11:06pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:55pm
all the more reason to have a WAAS inop aural.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 7:42am
On startup I might like a message that says something like "If you refueled, reset the fuel flow meter".  Maybe then the JPI 700 wouldn't spend so much time flashing REM 0.0.
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 3:50pm
Is an Aspen link available, i.e. altitude bust when the Aspen unit starts to flash?
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 4:10pm
The ASPEN sono-alert works quite well for that. 

But, we had to mount it on the ceiling panel for greater proximity, else you wouldn't hear it. Unfortunately a direct feed into the audio did not get certified initially, and they don't want to go back and do that over.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 Jun 2013 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic