Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Activating Route

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Activating Route
    Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 6:38pm
I usually activate the route using the LSK from the Route List.   Yesterday I forgot to activate before taking off.  Then when I tried to go Direct To an intermediate waypoint the IFD came up with the departure airport, not the desired intermediate waypoint.  Went back to route list, activated, route and was able to select Direct To intermediate waypoint as usual.  What is going on here?  Why could I not select Direct To the desired waypoint  Manual says that flight plan should be activated automatically at 40 knots.

ACTIVATING A FLIGHT PLAN

When a flight plan is entered on the ground, the flight plan will be inactive and no guidance will be provided. To activate the flight plan, press the "Activate Route" LSK. If the flight plan is not activated and the aircraft reaches a threshold groundspeed of approximately 40 knots, the IFD will automatically activate the flight plan. A flight plan that was created by pressing the "Activate Route" LSK for a stored route on the ROUTE tab will be automatically activated.

McMcD
McD
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:23pm
Remember that “Activate Route” from the FMS, Routes tab makes the selected route your current flight plan.  And that “Activate Flight Plan” is done from the FMS, FPL tab, either manually or upon reaching 40 kts.  You can add a Flight Plan to the FPL tab in two ways; 1. Build your flight plan directly on the FPL tab, 2. Select a route on the Routes tab and “Actvate Route” to copy it to the FPL tab.

The IFD must have an origin point in the FPL to do anything else.  You experienced this when you tried to enter a Direct To.  Had you confirmed the origin point and then entered a Direct To, the IFD would have accepted it.

As for why your flight plan did not automatically activate; likely you did not have a flight plan on the FPL tab 
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic