Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3.1.2 Garmin G5 issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katamarino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.3.1.2 Garmin G5 issue
    Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 12:10pm
I recently updated my IFD540 to 10.3.1.2. I have run into a few issues. The most significant seems to be the connection with my two Garmin G5s.

After the update, the top G5 gives the error message "Not receiving ARINC 429 data". Going into the config menu, I see the following in the ARINC 429 menu:

Input 1: Garmin GPS (SDI 1) (Green tick)
Input 2: Garmin VOR/ILS (SDI 1) (Red cross)

The lower G5 does not show any errors and does not appear to even be set up to accept ARINC 429 data; the only input listed in the config for that one is MapMX, which seems to be working fine.

The timing of this, and the fact that only one of the two ARINC 429 inputs seems to have an issue, strongly suggests that the problem is caused by something which has changed after the update.

My ARINC 429 settings in the 540 are the same as before the update.

Any suggestions?
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 1:50pm
After turning on the Master switch and Avionics Master switch, manually turn off the offending G5. Let the 540 acquire a GPS position solution. Now check for any error messages on the remaining G5 and report the results.

Gene
Gene
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:21am
I have the same setup and upgraded to 10.3.1.2 without any issues.  I don't recall if any of the IFD ARINC or RS232 setup pages needed to be reset after the update.
Katamarino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katamarino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:49pm
I did what eallevato said, and the result was as follows.

- When turning off the top G5 (the one which is giving the error), the lower G5 (which is not giving any errors) then automatically switches to be an AI. The ARINC 429 error from the top G5 then appears on the lower one instead.

I checked the ARINC 429 pages after the update and confirmed that they read the same as before.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 2:34am
OK, there is one more A429 configuration that you need to check.

Go to the configuration mode on the 540 and navigate to the:

“VOR/LOC/GS ARINC 429 CONFIG”page

Then make sure that the “TX” column has the following:

Speed = Low
Format = VHF 429

and finally SDI = VOR/ILS 1

Gene
Gene
Katamarino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katamarino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 2:11pm
I went back to that config page; before the update the format on that page had been "VOR/GPS 429" and working fine, so that's what I had in there after the update. 

I changed it to "VHF 429" and the red cross was replaced with a green tick on the G5!

Didn't have a chance to test fly but will do that this week. Looks promising so far.

Thank you, Gene!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic