Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFDs with GFC500 - Again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmbm50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFDs with GFC500 - Again!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 8:55am
Hi All - sorry for another thread on the GFC500 and IFD interop.  Searching shows so many questions and threads but they all seem to derail on side topics or confusing Garmins VNAV feature with other concepts.

I have IFD550/440s in my new plane and planning a new set of GI275s and GFC500.  So far I like the IFD so trying really hard to not go the GTN route.

So perhaps someone can provide some quick clarity for me to confirm the following.

1. Garmin VNAV will not work.  And by VNAV, I mean the IFD will not command the AP to descend when it hits TOD for a waypoint.   I'll have to twist the Alt knob when the IFD tells me too.  No big deal.  This is unrelated to approach mode.

2. IFD when on an ILS approach will capture the GS and enable a coupled approach and command the AP vertically....ie it would fly it onto the runway if I wanted too.  

3.  IFD when on a RNAV approach (assuming is LNAV/VNAN) will capture the GS and enable a coupled RNAV approach and command the AP vertically to minimums.

4.  On a missed approach, the Go round button will command pitch up and wings levels.  But the IFD will not automatically load the missed approach?

Are all those assumptions correct? 

Edited by tmbm50 - 25 Apr 2023 at 9:06am
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 12:54pm
All except last part of 4. If you have Baro Alt into IFD will automatically load miss. All you have to do is hit NAV after 400ft and it will fly coupled missed app. 
tmbm50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmbm50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 1:21pm
Thanks!  Thats good to know on number 4.

I know its always touchy for Avidyne to comment on other vendors but it would be a useful sales tool for Avidyne to document what is possible and what is not.  The amount of misinformation and push to go all Garmin from dealers is certainly driving alot to Garmins bottom-line.

I'm scheduled for upgrades at the end of May so should have first hand report soon. 

ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 3:41pm
i just had a GFC500 added to my airplane that has a IFD440 as nav1 .. works like a charm.

(I’m using dual G5’s so similar to your setup)

as was already stated .. the setup will fly a coupled missed.

one thing that came up in training is that with the IFD you need to wait until you have vertical guidance before hitting APR on the GFC500 to arm the GP or GS.

(not sure if its different on garmin, but my instructor was adamant i could hit APR once i was cleared for the approach, which often occurs before vertical guidance shows up).

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 6:06am
The IFD loads the missed approach as part of the procedure, and will always have the missed approach leg shown after the final approach leg. Normally, the final approach leg ends and the missed approach leg begins at the runway threshold (waypoint). When configured for an automatic switch to missed approach, the IFD will increment from final approach leg to the missed approach leg at the MAP, so if going missed at DA the a/p should track the final approach up to the MAP when the IFD sequences to the missed leg for guidance. The MAP is also the point at which VLOC switches back to GPS if on a VHF approach.

Vince
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 8:45am
Just to add, at the missed approach point, if you have Baro (which you will with the GI275), you can push the TOGA button and it will pitch up, then as you are climbing, you can press the NAV button to follow the missed approach.

Second, you can press the APR button any time, you don't need to wait until you have vertical guidance.  You could hit APR as soon as you level off in cruise if you wanted to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic