Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wifi and devices...10.3.1.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wifi and devices...10.3.1.2
    Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 6:15pm
I always hate starting a new topic.. But here it goes.
Newest IFD software, on IFD 440 and IFD 100.  They connect and play nice. (But wait)
The IP address at the house, for the ipads on the home internet are 
192.168.0.212     (this ipad has the IFD 100 app on it)
Out to the plane, plane out of hangar, clear view of sky for gps, all three ipads are on, and avionics master is turned on, making IFD 440 turn on.  Log on screens normal, position normal.
Aux-setup-connectivity (both bluetooth and wifi are ON)
networks (IFD_M876578 IFD hotspot shown)   This is NOT the real number, just an example.
 Password shows normal password, abcdef1234 (I have not changed this)
LS key "connect" pressed.  After a short time, connected in green is shown.

Devices-
  No devices found.  (three ipads within 3 feet of the IFD 440, with wifi connected to IFD_M876578)
Ipads IP's are now 
All ipads disconnected from wifi, reconnected, and ONLY one ipad will show under devices.
192.168.0.24 (which has the IFD 100 app on it)
Wifi off on this ipad, and turn wifi on to another ipad (one without IFD 100, and it shows connected as 192.168.0.24)  

Now, the wifi screen on the ipad, shows configure IP automatic, ip address of 192.168.0.24,
Configure dns automatic, configure proxy OFF.
Also, private wifi address shows green, (i'm assuming ON)

For the too long to read people:
It appears that IPAD IP addresses will switch to one that the IFD 440 recognizes, even though it has not been authorised.  Only one ipad at a time will show as a device to allow.
I also have tried the Stratus wifi connection as per the Avidyne video, and that is another long tale, but it didn't work either.
What am I missing here?

Regards,
Randy
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 5:31pm
Have you set the connection policy for each device to "always"?
Vince
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 7:54pm
That is a question which has an answer along the lines of... "I have set always for the IPAD with the IFD 100, with the 192.168.0.24 IP address............ "
Which, when THAT ipad is turned off, and a second one, without IFD 100 installed is now showing always, and the IP address of 192.168.0.24.
I guess my confusion here is, it will connect to only one ipad at any one time, and will adjust the IP address to one that it recognises. 
I do not name my ipads, "dad one", "plane 2" "expensive apple".....  I just turn them on and use them.
Why would the IP address change?

Regards,
Randy
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 1:01pm
IP addresses are assigned by the network host (router); your IFD440 in this case. 

Generally, the network host recognizes a specific device by its device specific MAC address and assigns it a network location (IP address) dynamically on a first come first serve basis. The wireless MAC address for an iPad is the "Wi-Fi Address" found in Settings - General - About. 

Some network hosts allow devices to "lease" IP addresses for a period of time upon which that "lease" is renewed if the device is still connected. Some network hosts have settings that allow users to select some devices to permanently reserve a specific IP address. The panel IFD's don't appear to do either of these so when a WiFi connection is lost, that IP address becomes unassigned and thus assignable to the next device that WiFi connects to the IFD. 

In short, the IP address of your WiFi connected devices may change based on the order they connect to the IFD; however, that should not have any effect on the IFD recognizing whether a specific device is trusted or not. 
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 7:58pm
Your post makes sense of what is happening.
If the IFD 100 ipad is connected, it is shown, and always allowed.
If it is shut down, and a different IPAD is started up, it is NOW the one that the IFD 440 recognizes, and is "allowed".
But, the others are not showing on the device page, they do show wifi connected on the settings-wifi on the ipad.
Your last sentence is the head scratcher... This is exactly what is happening. 
As an aside, I did recheck my ipad "names".  
They are:
Randal IPAD (1)
Randy IPAD 
Randy IPAD 2
Randy IPAD mini.
Not sure if that makes a difference.  
I suppose I could name them something "better", but would that fix my issue?
Thanks for your continued reply.
Regards,
Randy
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 12:13am
10.2.6.1 had the option to change the IP address for the IFD which was set to 127.0.0.1 by default, which is the same address for Stratus loopback. Foreflight was finding the Avidyne, able to receive flight plans but not send plans to the IFD. After changing the IFD IP address to 127.0.1.1, the issue was resolved and now able to send plans to the IFD every time.
I am not a network expert and not sure if changing the IP address on the IFD solved the problem, but 10.3.2.1 does not have that option in the settings to change the IP address.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic