Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADBS Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADBS Options
    Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 9:32am
What options will be available for ADSB on the 540?

Assume we will need an ext sqitter txp, will any work? Trig, Garmin? 

Will any other interface be needed to display the ADSB traffic or weather on the 540?

Just planning......
Larryo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 1:38pm
The Garmin 530 requires a firmware update to display the data.

I have heard that "someone" (hmm, who might that be?) is being a bit difficult in providing access and interfaces to their ADS-B outputs, at least for one popular PFD/MFD manufacturer. I expect it may be an issue with Avidyne's forthcoming product.

I was looking to incorporate a GDL-88 in the planned avionics update next month, I have instead decided to wait and see what solution Avidyne might be planning to provide, in a bid to keep all my boxes compatible with the data.

I'd be delighted to hear an official answer here, as I will be looking to get ADS-B on the panel, primarily for the TIS-B traffic, but I expect an announcement will take a little while yet.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 19 Dec 2012 at 1:43pm
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:22am
oskrypuch,

Yea, I looked at the GLD 88 too, but doesn't play well with others, so a non starter for me, at this time.

Waiting for now, but anxious for a solution.
Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:00am
This is a big deal for us.   There are a few moving parts right now that we're nailing down over the next few weeks so I'm going to be fairly non-specific on this response but.....

I like to think of the "full ADS-B" solution as having three components.  I know some people feel like they only need/want a subset and that's fine but my components are:

1.  An ADS-B compatible position source (GPS);
2.  A means to send own position and receive others position (and a means to receive the weather products);
3.  A means to display the other traffic (and the "ADS-B free weather").

The 540 will be absolutely satisfy #1 and #3 on that list.  One side note is that while the 540 will display datalink weather products at initial release, it will be a later release that will add the ADS-B weather stream for display (time-to-market reasons).

The 540 will also nicely interface with some products that accomplish #2 on that list.  Clearly that includes the Avidyne ADS-B compliant traffic systems and Avidyne ADS-B compliant transponders.  It will also nicely interface with some 3rd party systems to include Trig.   But this is the area that forces me to be non-specific right now because its the various 3rd party devices where the moving parts are still highly dynamic.

As things settle down, we'll be more and more specific.  I don't think I can overstate the importance that we place on having a complete set of interesting and affordable options on all ADS-B related topics.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:02am
Jake,

<<<<<<
1.  An ADS-B compatible position source (GPS);
2.  A means to send own position and receive others position (and a means to receive the weather products);
3.  A means to display the other traffic (and the "ADS-B free weather").
>>>>>>>

If I read you correctly, 1 and 3 will be available from the start? If so, great. 

As for 2, send and receive, I'm hopeful that there will be compatibility with other mgfs ADS B in/out solutions for flexibility. However, you're tcp looks pretty good.
Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:06am
Yes, 1 & 3 definitely available by initial release (they are baseline in the IFD540).

2 should be available from the start too, it just may initially be a limited set of 3rd party gear that are compatible.  We expect that list to grow fairly rapidly.  They are typically accomplished through traffic systems and transponders.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:01pm
Jake,

GREAT!
Larryo
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 7:07pm
+1.

I am hoping to use the IFD 540 for ADS-B traffic and FIS-B weather.

If we really get creative we'll find a way to pipe the traffic and weather in from my GDL-39 into the IFD-540. For now, it works pretty well on an iPad. The GDL-39 can be hard wired and remotely mounted.

I don't have an ADS-B 'out' box yet, but I expect that to sort itself out in time and I expect the IFD 540 to be the position source for that.
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:30pm
I'm hoping that the IFD540 will supply proper location data to my GTX330 when I add the ES option.

I still need to figure out what to use as an ADSB receiver - the GDL88 seems waaayyy too expensive (got a quote of $7000 to install).
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:31pm
As long as you don't mind displaying data on non-panel mount screens, like the Aera 796 or 5xx, then the GDL-39 will work fine. If you are extended squitting you will receive traffic in reply, and the GDL-39 will pick it up. Without the ES upgrade, you will only get weather (subject to the usual ADS-B limitations)

I am sensing that Avidyne may have something to announce, very shortly. Might suggest you wait for it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Feb 2013 at 11:32pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 8:22pm
Without excessively leading anyone on, we'll have plenty of ADS-B solutions.  More to come in the coming weeks....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:21pm
I talked to Garmin today about upgrading my GTX 330 to ES just to get a time frame of how long they would need to "extend my squitter" prior getting my 2 new shiny 540's. I was told that my avionics shop had to schedule the upgrade and it would take around 4 days to process once they received the unit. However, since a STC had not beed issued for the WAAS equipment I currently have (530W and 430W) the extended squitter would not be activated until the STC was issued. Garmin also told me that additional wiring was required between my GTX 330, soon to be ES and my 530W/430W so I don't know if that is also necessary with the 540/440. My original impression from reading comments here was that only a firmware update was necessary on the Garmin 530W/430W equipment to incorporate the ES. According to Garmin it doesn't sound like that is incorrect. Not sure how all of this effects the "Plug and Play" perspective of the 540/440.          
GDC25
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:42pm
maybe you need to throw that garmin junk out and go with the avidyne unit
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
Well Tony, if I throw out the Garmin "junk" I have I guess I would need to park my plane for 6 months to a year waiting on the Avidyne replacements. Maybe you got your 540 on the "pre-pilot program" program but I think I'll keep the junk I have just in case the delivery date gets pushed back although I realize that rarely happens with avionics equipment...
GDC25
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:29pm
The transponder issue is tricky for me too.

Trig and I think Becker have Mode S transponders with extended squitter.  But they both use a knob to set the code.  My wife is used to the King KT-76C and prefers separate buttons.

The Garmin GTX 330 has separate buttons but it isn't clear if or when it will work with the IFD540 or how much I'd have to pay Garmin to make it work.

The Avidyne AXP340 has individual buttons and is certain to be certified to work with the IFD540.  At $6K it is the most expensive choice by about $1500, but that's comparing retail price to street price (and who pays retail?).

Replacing the transponder would be nice because if we had ADS-B out getting traffic on the yoke mounted GPS would be cheap or free.  But it is third on the priority list, after the GPS itself and an audio panel, so depending on the costs it may be deferred to a future upgrade.

As far as I can tell the best thing to do now is to wait.  Garmin will eventually come out with their STC for ADS-B out and Avidyne will disclose their ADS-B plans.  Unfortunately I'm not very good at waiting.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 7:04am
.... was just teasing
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
For those who have a GTX330 and are thinking of upgrading to "ES" for 1200 bucks versus buying something new Garmin said that it might be a few months before all the STC moon and stars aligned allowing them to "turn on" the ES upgrade once it is made. According to them it is also dependent on other equipment STC status (WAAS enabled for their stuff for example) but at least it is moving forward. My point to this madness is if I am going to take my airplane down to install the Avidyne products I have pre-purchased I would like to incorporate as many upgrades as possible during the downtime. I, like many others, am hoping for a fairly simple transition from the GNS530/430 world to the superior Avidyne replacements while incorporating the inevitable ABS-B requirements in one swing of the bat. I know, I'm a dreamer....   
GDC25
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 3:34am
what does the ES option bring?
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 4:08pm
I'm in a "waiting" position, anxious to see the options. Still using XM, but have no traffic that's reliable for now, and would like to solve that one.
Larryo
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 4:25pm
ES stands for "Extended Squitter" which is essentially a modifed Mode S tranponder that will be required by the FAA for aircraft to operate in a lot of airspace once their NextGen strategy is in place in 2020. Although the FIS-B weather data is available today for free on at least portable devices using an ADS-B "in" receiver, the traffic data is a little trickier to get at and that's where the ES comes in. ES provides the required NextGen ADS-B "out" signal which in turn unlocks additional traffic data available to your aircraft. It is my understanding that the FAA is dangling a carrot of more traffic data "if" you will go ahead and upgrade to ADS-B out sooner that the mandated 2020 in order to have access to it.

For those like myself who are just beginning the learning curve on ADS-B and traffic here is a good link that discusses in simple terms how the system is intended to work.

GDC25
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 4:37pm
P.S.
I am by no means an expert on this issue, just sharing my understanding of how things are supposed to work based on what I have read. Please correct any mis-information in my posts.

Thanks. 
GDC25
mpradel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpradel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 1:21pm
Upgrading the Transponder to ES today, and some minor wiring, will get you Handheld ADSB-In traffic, for now.

That is not a bad place, I've had the ES TXP since 2010 and been flying with a GDL-39 with ship power and external antenna for almost a year now.. It's great!

Here is where this is a bit of a gamble: Garmin might decide to lock-up/encrypt the GTX-GNS communication protocol just as they did on 3.0 to block Connected Panel functionality.. Effectively negating the slide-in replacement feature of the IFD over the GNS.

In that case, you would have to buy a new TXP from Avidyne and hope to sell the GTX-ES to an all-Garmin user.

This would not surprise me!
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by mpradel mpradel wrote:

Upgrading the Transponder to ES today, and some minor wiring, will get you Handheld ADSB-In traffic, for now.

That is not a bad place, I've had the ES TXP since 2010 and been flying with a GDL-39 with ship power and external antenna for almost a year now.. It's great!

Here is where this is a bit of a gamble: Garmin might decide to lock-up/encrypt the GTX-GNS communication protocol just as they did on 3.0 to block Connected Panel functionality.. Effectively negating the slide-in replacement feature of the IFD over the GNS.

In that case, you would have to buy a new TXP from Avidyne and hope to sell the GTX-ES to an all-Garmin user.

This would not surprise me!

Hey Marcus,

Good to see you here on the forum. Nice to get some good feedback from you.

I'm just sitting on the fence... waiting to see what happens.
Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:32am
Heads up - the first of the Avidyne ADS-B specific roadmap announcements will be made this coming week at the AEA trade show.  Press releases will come out and we can talk about it on this forum when they come out if you're interested.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 5:05pm
EXTREMELY interested.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:51am
TODAY, I think would be a wonderful day -- for an announcement! 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Mar 2013 at 8:52am
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 5:00pm
The only announcement I've seen is that Avidyne will support Capstone.

Does that mean that the IFD-540 will be able to connect to an ADS-B receiver and display traffic and weather?  If so, what suitable receivers are available?

edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:02pm
I have read that Aspen is offering a ARX100 dual band Wx / traffic ADSB receiver.

Will the IFD540 support this and will it work at initial release?

Are you doing testing with the ASPEN unit?

I would like to have all my upgrade work done with the install of the IFD540.

Ed

Edited by edanford - 05 Apr 2013 at 7:22pm
Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:32am
Hi Ed,

We think the IFD540 will work fine with the ARX100 as a position source supplier to the Aspen unit.  The two companies are trying to collaborate to ensure we have as tight a product integration as we can.   The test aircraft I fly every day has a dual IFD540 system along with an Aspen EFD1000 PFD but I don't think the dual band Aspen receiver is out until the end of this year.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 10:51am
Kudos to Avidyne (and ASPEN) for allowing for customer choice.

I am intrigued to see Avidyne's ADS-B products, before I commit to a solution. So glad I decided to wait and see.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Apr 2013 at 10:53am
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 11:58am
Anything new here?  I don't really like having to look for traffic on a handheld device, but neither do I hugely want a MFD.  I'd like to feed position data from my 540 to my GTX330 after doing the ES upgrade, then display traffic on my 540.  I have TIS-A now, assume that will work from the outset until the old TIS system is shut down.
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 8:14pm
With respect to the configuration that PH has, I'm not sure but also not optimistic. What we do know is that the IFD540 will transmit ADS-B compliant GPS position. We support several protocols and freely publish those protocols for any other vendor to use. The IFD540 does also accept data from a 330 TIS for display. However, what we can't get a clear read on now is whether the Garmin 330 will accept our position output data and thus be a truly functional combination of equipment. At least up to now, the 330 is considered a closed, and not cooperative or collaborative system.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 3:08am
This might be a nice option to get traffic and weather on our long awaited IFD 540's

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 1:45pm
I'm looking into what accessory boxes I'll want for my IFD540 install.  ADS-B is high on the list and I've got a few questions.

Will the IFD540 provide GPS output on industry standard protocols for ADS-B compliance (I think this means outputting via ARINC 743A)?  Specifically, will I be able to use the IFD540 as the GPS source on the Navworx ADS600-B?

My understanding is that the IFD540 would be able to display the traffic data from the ADS600-B, but doesn't not yet support displaying the weather data.  When ADS-B weather data is supported in a future release, will it be able to display data from the ADS600-B?

Edited by brou0040 - 20 Dec 2013 at 1:50pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:42pm
I don't know enough about the ADS600-B to comment on it effectively.

I'll double check on the ARINC743A compliance on the part of the IFD540.  Should post a response in early Jan on that topic.

BTW, we've about given up on the Garmin 330 variants with respect to playing in the complete ADS-B solution.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 9:45pm
I'm very sorry to hear that you are giving up on the 330 since that's what I have.  There's also a pricing concern.  The AXP340 lists for $6000.  The 330 ES is 4400, so my used 330 without ES might be worth 2500-3000.  That's a big cost increment over the base IFD540.

If you want to retain folks like me who have the 330, you need to get the cost of the AXP340 down to match the 330ES:  e.g. $4400.
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 11:42pm
I would concur. 

I had originally planned on swapping out the 330 for the 340, but for me the price, the lack of ModeS TIS for bridging, and absent electronic OAT probe, are strong points against it.

I will likely keep my 330 "plain", and go for a panel mount UAT/1090 transceiver, that works with a 540, will make me compliant and provide TIS-B.

Getting an IFD540 is a must. The rest needs to place into place, and it will.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Jan 2014 at 9:43am
DaveM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 1:54am
There is something missing in this discussion. Several have expressed their disappointment their various Garmin 330 units will not mate with the 540 for ADS-B purposes. They have a valid concern.

Avidyne has announced a new transponder (340). The 340 ES will 1090 out and that works for those who fly over 18,000 or International, but is not necessary for the rest of us.

I never fly my Baron over 18K and am wondering where the equivalent to the Garmin GDL88 is that will UAT in and out as well as 1090 in. That will cover everything I need and I will not even have to change my old Mode C transponder. I suspect I am amongst the majority of GA planes that will have to become ADS-B compliant, but will not need 1090.

I can't believe Avidyne has not thought about this. Will we be seeing a announcement of a new box, or perhaps an agreement with Aspen to use their ATX200 to do for Avidyne equipment what the GDL88 does for Garmin? Just asking.

What am I missing here?
< id="mac_address" value="" ="">
DaveM
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 9:50am
DaveM,

Avidyne has made a motherhood statement about the importance of ADS-B in their product line, but no specifics yet.

I imagine they will introduce an ASPEN ARX-like line, re-badged or oitherwise. Either way, that is the type of solution I will be looking for.

I think the take home message is that Garmin at present is not willing to work with others in the industry, to allow for open data exchange for ADS-B. That is entirely their right and decision, it may be driven by engineering or marketing, or both. But, that will drive consumers to personal decisions as well. Personally I plan on avoiding G products at present, for fear of lack of compatibility.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:16am
Standby.  New pricing for the AXP340 to be announced very shortly.

The rest of the Avidyne ADS-B product variant roadmap will not be announced anytime soon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:25am
 BTW, we've about given up on the Garmin 330 variants with respect to playing in the complete ADS-B solution.

Steve, please tell us WHO at Garmin told Avidyne NO on the 330-ES info.  We would like to contact them personally and try to convince them otherwise.  Since you obviously have no useful business relationship with Garmin this should do no harm - and may just do some good.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:28am
All Regional Sales Reps we speak with.
Director of Certification.
VP Sales & Marketing.

Have fun.  Can't say we did.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:40am
Who is the Director of Certification?  Do you have a name?  If not, someone at Avidyne must have a name.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:44am
I don't remember and I'm so fed up with it that I'm not going to spend the time sorting through old emails on the topic.  

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 12:02pm
New AXP340 List Price is $3995 (as of 17 Jan 2014).    

Sales guys can work any details with interested customers and dealers.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 4:09pm
Steve, thanks for the list price reduction on the 340 and I am truly sorry this issue has caused you such distain. Simple fact is a lot of us own 330's and I for one was told on my initial 540 purchase that the 330 was a perfect match and that the 330ES would be 100% compatible with the 540 and ADS-B compliant once upgraded to ES. Irregardless of that being fact or fiction, thanks for working to lower the 340 to a more competitive price and maybe next time instead of taking our your frustrations on 540/440 buyers still waiting on product look to the initial source of the confusion.
GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 4:15pm
Sorry guys, I did not intend my comments to be interpreted as being directed at any customer - I'm fed up with the Garmin BS that is coming from Garmin.   We have pushed against that rope for too long such that it's not worth my, or anyone's, effort to try and work with Garmin on something they've been consistently stonewalling.

There is no ADS-B link/functionality between the Garmin 330ES and the Avidyne IFD540.    The IFD540 will display TIS traffic data but the 330ES has a proprietary "lock" on the advanced ADS-B data.   We tried but it was unsuccessful.  It should have been easy or at least doable, but it was not and efforts were blocked.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 6:53pm
Thanks for the update. All we are asking for is the best, most current information you can provide. Really appreciated. 
GDC25
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 9:50am
Very glad to see the price reduction of the AXP 340.  That now puts it back in consideration for install along with my 540.  (I note on the Avidyne web page - price list link, it still shows as $5995.)

At the moment I'm still holding my breath for a dual function slide-in transponder before the ADS-B mandate deadline:  Mode-S ES transponder with an integrated UAT (receiver at least;  I think the technical complexity of adding UAT TX to the integrated box probably is not commensurate with the marginal operational benefit- which would be to provide own-ship traffic info to UAT-only equipped aircraft in non-radar coverage areas.)  I'd have a mandate-compliant, international and flight-level compatible ADS-B in-out solution including FIS-B.  One box, no extra interfaces, cables, or antennas. 

And of course, I'd order the Bluetooth option so I could share FIS and TIS with my tablet.

If I were young or retired, I'd already be announcing such a product...

Jon
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 10:54am
I posted a note in the FAQs about needing an ADS-B receiver if I install the ATX340 transponder and am duplicating that here as a more appropriate place.  Avidyne apparently has no receiver, so I'm still without traffic even though I would be compliant with 1090 ES out.

What receiver can I use to display TIS, TIS-B, and FIS-B on the IFD540?  I'd like to do all this in one pass when I do the IFD540 install.  I want a dedicated receiver:  I have no interest in having to look at the Ipad in my lap for traffic.
PH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic