Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADBS Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 3:34am
what does the ES option bring?
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
For those who have a GTX330 and are thinking of upgrading to "ES" for 1200 bucks versus buying something new Garmin said that it might be a few months before all the STC moon and stars aligned allowing them to "turn on" the ES upgrade once it is made. According to them it is also dependent on other equipment STC status (WAAS enabled for their stuff for example) but at least it is moving forward. My point to this madness is if I am going to take my airplane down to install the Avidyne products I have pre-purchased I would like to incorporate as many upgrades as possible during the downtime. I, like many others, am hoping for a fairly simple transition from the GNS530/430 world to the superior Avidyne replacements while incorporating the inevitable ABS-B requirements in one swing of the bat. I know, I'm a dreamer....   
GDC25
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 7:04am
.... was just teasing
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:29pm
The transponder issue is tricky for me too.

Trig and I think Becker have Mode S transponders with extended squitter.  But they both use a knob to set the code.  My wife is used to the King KT-76C and prefers separate buttons.

The Garmin GTX 330 has separate buttons but it isn't clear if or when it will work with the IFD540 or how much I'd have to pay Garmin to make it work.

The Avidyne AXP340 has individual buttons and is certain to be certified to work with the IFD540.  At $6K it is the most expensive choice by about $1500, but that's comparing retail price to street price (and who pays retail?).

Replacing the transponder would be nice because if we had ADS-B out getting traffic on the yoke mounted GPS would be cheap or free.  But it is third on the priority list, after the GPS itself and an audio panel, so depending on the costs it may be deferred to a future upgrade.

As far as I can tell the best thing to do now is to wait.  Garmin will eventually come out with their STC for ADS-B out and Avidyne will disclose their ADS-B plans.  Unfortunately I'm not very good at waiting.
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
Well Tony, if I throw out the Garmin "junk" I have I guess I would need to park my plane for 6 months to a year waiting on the Avidyne replacements. Maybe you got your 540 on the "pre-pilot program" program but I think I'll keep the junk I have just in case the delivery date gets pushed back although I realize that rarely happens with avionics equipment...
GDC25
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:42pm
maybe you need to throw that garmin junk out and go with the avidyne unit
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:21pm
I talked to Garmin today about upgrading my GTX 330 to ES just to get a time frame of how long they would need to "extend my squitter" prior getting my 2 new shiny 540's. I was told that my avionics shop had to schedule the upgrade and it would take around 4 days to process once they received the unit. However, since a STC had not beed issued for the WAAS equipment I currently have (530W and 430W) the extended squitter would not be activated until the STC was issued. Garmin also told me that additional wiring was required between my GTX 330, soon to be ES and my 530W/430W so I don't know if that is also necessary with the 540/440. My original impression from reading comments here was that only a firmware update was necessary on the Garmin 530W/430W equipment to incorporate the ES. According to Garmin it doesn't sound like that is incorrect. Not sure how all of this effects the "Plug and Play" perspective of the 540/440.          
GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 8:22pm
Without excessively leading anyone on, we'll have plenty of ADS-B solutions.  More to come in the coming weeks....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:31pm
As long as you don't mind displaying data on non-panel mount screens, like the Aera 796 or 5xx, then the GDL-39 will work fine. If you are extended squitting you will receive traffic in reply, and the GDL-39 will pick it up. Without the ES upgrade, you will only get weather (subject to the usual ADS-B limitations)

I am sensing that Avidyne may have something to announce, very shortly. Might suggest you wait for it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Feb 2013 at 11:32pm
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:30pm
I'm hoping that the IFD540 will supply proper location data to my GTX330 when I add the ES option.

I still need to figure out what to use as an ADSB receiver - the GDL88 seems waaayyy too expensive (got a quote of $7000 to install).
PH
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 7:07pm
+1.

I am hoping to use the IFD 540 for ADS-B traffic and FIS-B weather.

If we really get creative we'll find a way to pipe the traffic and weather in from my GDL-39 into the IFD-540. For now, it works pretty well on an iPad. The GDL-39 can be hard wired and remotely mounted.

I don't have an ADS-B 'out' box yet, but I expect that to sort itself out in time and I expect the IFD 540 to be the position source for that.
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:01pm
Jake,

GREAT!
Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:06am
Yes, 1 & 3 definitely available by initial release (they are baseline in the IFD540).

2 should be available from the start too, it just may initially be a limited set of 3rd party gear that are compatible.  We expect that list to grow fairly rapidly.  They are typically accomplished through traffic systems and transponders.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:02am
Jake,

<<<<<<
1.  An ADS-B compatible position source (GPS);
2.  A means to send own position and receive others position (and a means to receive the weather products);
3.  A means to display the other traffic (and the "ADS-B free weather").
>>>>>>>

If I read you correctly, 1 and 3 will be available from the start? If so, great. 

As for 2, send and receive, I'm hopeful that there will be compatibility with other mgfs ADS B in/out solutions for flexibility. However, you're tcp looks pretty good.
Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:00am
This is a big deal for us.   There are a few moving parts right now that we're nailing down over the next few weeks so I'm going to be fairly non-specific on this response but.....

I like to think of the "full ADS-B" solution as having three components.  I know some people feel like they only need/want a subset and that's fine but my components are:

1.  An ADS-B compatible position source (GPS);
2.  A means to send own position and receive others position (and a means to receive the weather products);
3.  A means to display the other traffic (and the "ADS-B free weather").

The 540 will be absolutely satisfy #1 and #3 on that list.  One side note is that while the 540 will display datalink weather products at initial release, it will be a later release that will add the ADS-B weather stream for display (time-to-market reasons).

The 540 will also nicely interface with some products that accomplish #2 on that list.  Clearly that includes the Avidyne ADS-B compliant traffic systems and Avidyne ADS-B compliant transponders.  It will also nicely interface with some 3rd party systems to include Trig.   But this is the area that forces me to be non-specific right now because its the various 3rd party devices where the moving parts are still highly dynamic.

As things settle down, we'll be more and more specific.  I don't think I can overstate the importance that we place on having a complete set of interesting and affordable options on all ADS-B related topics.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:22am
oskrypuch,

Yea, I looked at the GLD 88 too, but doesn't play well with others, so a non starter for me, at this time.

Waiting for now, but anxious for a solution.
Larryo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 1:38pm
The Garmin 530 requires a firmware update to display the data.

I have heard that "someone" (hmm, who might that be?) is being a bit difficult in providing access and interfaces to their ADS-B outputs, at least for one popular PFD/MFD manufacturer. I expect it may be an issue with Avidyne's forthcoming product.

I was looking to incorporate a GDL-88 in the planned avionics update next month, I have instead decided to wait and see what solution Avidyne might be planning to provide, in a bid to keep all my boxes compatible with the data.

I'd be delighted to hear an official answer here, as I will be looking to get ADS-B on the panel, primarily for the TIS-B traffic, but I expect an announcement will take a little while yet.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 19 Dec 2012 at 1:43pm
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 9:32am
What options will be available for ADSB on the 540?

Assume we will need an ext sqitter txp, will any work? Trig, Garmin? 

Will any other interface be needed to display the ADSB traffic or weather on the 540?

Just planning......
Larryo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic