Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

audio alerts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: audio alerts?
    Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 2:01pm
Are there any audio out alerts planned in the new IFD540?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 5:51pm
Yes, we have several.  For example, the terrain and obstacle alerts associated with our Terrain Awareness system have aural alerts with them.

Did you have a specific alert(s) in mind?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:32pm
Is there a convenient way to bypass terrain alerts for a certain amount of time maybe 20 minutes?  I'm thinking about flying through mountain passes when normal terrain warnings go crazy and I don't want to permanently disable the feature.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 10:43pm
TIS-A traffic alerts, delivered from a Mode S transponder.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 3:44pm
For the terrain alert bypass request - yes, that's very easy to do anytime in flight.  In-fact, just this past week, I spent about 3.5 hours low leveling through the mountains of NY and VT and turned off the terrain alerts for that very reason.  The pilot can turn them on or off as they see fit at any time.   They do default to the ON position at each power up.

For the traffic alerts, I'll have to look at the system wiring but in general, we don't create new aurals on behalf of 3rd party gear.  The reason for looking at the wiring is to see if the TIS-A traffic alerts (I presume that is from a Garmin 327 or 330 or something like that) has its own intrinsic audio out capability that is wired directly to your intercom/audio panel system.  For the Avidyne traffic systems, the traffic sensor itself issues the aural alerts to the audio panel directly and it simultaneously issues the visual alerts to the IFD display.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 4:34pm
Yes, I expect you're on the mark there. My 330 is probably directly wiring to the audio.

Will find all this out soon, as my plane is getting a major avionics overhaul.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:31pm

Along with the terrain aural alerts will there be a minimums aural alert?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:31pm
Not quite.  We do have the Minimums aural alert recorded and stored in the IFD540 unit but we are not going to call it for the initial release.  The definition of minimums varies across aircraft type as you know and we deferred coming up with a mechanism to call the right one for the initial product release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 3:53pm
Interesting. Will pre-wire to allow for it.

* Orest
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 7:49pm
Hi Orest,

Is it fair to say that by "will pre-wire" you mean ensuring the IFD540 is wired to your audio panel?  If so, that makes sense to me.   If not, can you clarify?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 9:58am
Yes, precisely. Currently have a 430W in that functional position. With the big panel redo, the 430 will remain, but with a spacer below, to make the opening "530W-sized". Then when, you ship my IFD540 (I checked under the tree, still not there ;-) ), it will slip right in with a minimum of fuss.

There is an audio out for the 430, but I've learned that this is only active with the full TAWS package which I don't have, so it was never connected to the audio panel.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Jan 2013 at 10:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic