Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brightness related issues on IFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vas4avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brightness related issues on IFD
    Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:13pm
Unfortunately, I seem to be on a roll (eye roll emoji!) in terms of finding issues/potential issues (perhaps 10.3 related).

I did a series of night flights yesterday so I got to play around a lot with the brightness settings on my IFD540. Here are some observations:

1. The photocell setting for brightness works fine during the day but at night, it makes the screen too dark. The Dimming bus setting seems better but I didn't fly with it for too much time.

2. I set up a different profile for night flying with the brightness settings (for both the screen and the bezel) set to Manual. Other than the issue that is raised in the point #3, once I adjust them to a setting that works for me (in this case it was 52% for both), that setting is not retained after the unit is powered off. Whenever I pick my "night" profile, I find that the Manual brightness settings are at 100% and I have to adjust it every time. My flight last night had 4 legs so it was rather irritating that i had to do it every time!

3. When adjusting the manual brightness setting, there appears to be a "cliff" in brightness between 52% and 48%. As my eyes adapted to the darkness, I was reducing it one click at a time and at one point when I thought that 52% was a bit too bright, the next click was 48% and it was too dark. I took a photo in case Tech Support wants to see it but it is a bit deceiving since the phone adjusted quite a bit for the lower brightness. I tried it on the IFD Trainer but the brightness setting there doesn't seem to do anything.

I had not played with the brightness settings much in 10.2 (I have had the plane around 5 months and upgraded to 10.3 when it came out a couple of months ago) so I don't know if this brightness behavior is different in 10.3 vs. any older releases.

Any thoughts (and input from Avidyne) on whether this is expected behavior or a bug would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Vas

RV-10 N649BG
2xAFS5600+IFD540+TruTrak Vizion 385

Edited by vas4avidyne - 10 Nov 2022 at 1:15pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by vas4avidyne vas4avidyne wrote:

Any thoughts (and input from Avidyne) on whether this is expected behavior or a bug would be appreciated!
That behavior has not changed with 10.3.  We do have some pending changes that will be in a future release.
- the "cliff" in manual brightness mode will be gone 
- the last brightness setting will be retained across power cycles, but the IFD will not power up at less than 20% brightness.

This has been discussed before in another thread.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
vas4avidyne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vas4avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:40am
Thanks, Steve. Retaining the last brightness setting sounds good. Additionally, my thought is that if a particular user profile has a manual brightness setting (at a certain percentage), that setting should be saved as part of the profile.

Vas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic