Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS Integrity Lost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS Integrity Lost
    Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 8:51am
I received the alert in the subject line on a flight the other day.  The GPS seemed to be working fine as I progressed through the way points on my flight plan.  When I looked up the alert in the pilots manual the explanation doesn't really offer any additional insight.  My question is, what does this alert really mean and is there potentially a systemic issue or is this more related to the IFDs ability to receive satellite data at a certain point in time? 

Edited by Walter5 - 08 Sep 2022 at 9:02am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 3:11pm
It just means that the GPS didn't have the integrity that's required for the nav mode you were in.  You can go to the GPS Status page to check HPL vs HAL.  If HPL exceeds HAL, you'll get the alert.  Unless you're constantly getting it, I would blame it on poor reception at that point in time.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Walter5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 3:43pm
Thanks Steve.  I appreciate the quick reply.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 10:37am
I noticed that the active frequency on the 440 is 132.025.
If you multiply it by 12, you will end up with a number that is very close to the GPS frequency of 1575.42. This is called the 12th harmonic.
It is very likely that the GPS was clobbered by transmitting on 132.025.
The installation manual tells you how to perform a GPS Interference check. It should have been done during the installation of the 440.
Basically, you transmit on about a dozen frequencies around the 12 and 13 harmonics and watch the GPS status to see if it loses reception.

Gene

Edited by eallevato - 10 Sep 2022 at 11:21am
Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic