Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 440 odd behavior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 440 odd behavior
    Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:40pm
I had two IFD4 440s installed a few months ago. I'm noticing some strange issues with both. I'm waiting for the release of 10.3 to return the airplane to the avionics shop as I hope 10.3 will fix some or all of the issues.

Upon loading the latest Nav and Obstacles data last week, both units lost most, perhaps all, of their custom settings. All custom data blocks reverted to default. Bluetooth and WiFi configurations were lost. I used User-1 for my settings, but all configs are now default settings. I didn't think to check if my tail number was saved or not.

About a third of the time upon power up, the units do not crossfill. Restarting the IFDs usually fixes the problem.

Sometimes the IFDs do not communicate with the Entegra 5000 MFD. Restarting the IFDs usually fixes the problem.

Sometimes when changing the remote transponder squawk code on the IFD the ALT button is "dead" meaning it doesn't work. And sometimes the VFR button is dead. Fortunately the remote keyboard will allow me to work around the issue. Restarting the units usually fixes the problem.

There are some other oddities, but these are the most disruptive. 

I suppose my question is: will 10.3 fix these issues?
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 9:00am
I am no expert here, but what you are describing does not sound like an issue that a software upgrade is a fix for.  I would strongly suggest contacting Avidyne support directly and explaining your symptoms to them first.  My gut says your issue is one or more of:
1. Installation related issue with wiring or configuration.
2. Voltage related issue.
3. Device related issue.

I know that covers a lot of ground there.  Bottom line your IFD's are under warranty if that new.  Contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
dfw11411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 2:53pm
Just a note of thanks for your insight. Turns out it was all three suggested issues. Some wiring and all circuit breakers have been replaced. One of the IFDs has been returned for repair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic