Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 10:09pm
I like it!  :-)

* Orest

Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 6:09pm
Any updates? How are things progressing?
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 6:11pm
Hadn't refreshed my page. Thank you for the update.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:21pm
For those of us who were told that our units were in "production month <x>", does the change that you guys made in how you did the pilot program (with the experimental guys) affect our deliveries at all?  I wasn't sure if you had started producing units pending the FAA approval, or if you want to have that cert in hand before you ramp production.

Thanks!
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 3:08pm
Thanks Steve, I'm getting excited!!!
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 4:04am
Are all of the pre cert installs dual 540 installations? We just did our single install with the temporary 530W and our COM 2, a KX-155, is killing the GPS sat reception.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 7:49am
Hi Joe, it is not uncommon for a KX-155 to knock out GPS signals on a 430/530 devices.  I know one of the test aircraft and it has a single 540 with an older Collins radio. 

On a separate note, my buddy Ben owns Executive Flight out there at French Valley.  I've spent a lot of time with him out there before he moved to Havasu.  Great airport with lots going on.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 8:20am
Joe - I'm not aware of KX-155's taking out GPS satellite lock.  Sounds like Geoffrey has some knowledge on that front - I wonder if anybody else has heard of such behavior.

Mike K - reference your 5 May question - we're waiting until cert is assured before we ramp production.   We have all the material in stock and have pre-assembled a number of components but the final assembly will wait until all uncertainty is removed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 9:43am
I had that issue with a KX170 radio with my 430w when I bought my first aircraft.  The avionics shop said there was a service communication from Garmin that required testing of transmitting on certain frequencies to determine if it affected the GPS signal and was part of the required installation test procedures.  Since that time, I've had several friends, all with upgraded panels with a KX155s and each one had issues with knocking out the GPS.  The KX165 in my Bonanza would knock out the GPS on one particular frequency which happened to be pilot control lighting at one field.

There is a recent thread on BeechTalk about this very issue.

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 4:20am
Okay, understood, thanks.  That's very helpful for planning.
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:15pm
Steve,

We are approaching the end of the second quarter.  I believe you have said you were confident that deliveries would start by then.  Is that still true? 

Thanks,
Jim
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 9:40pm
Got another month and 10 days yet...
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:15pm
Yes, read some of the recent posts. It may be close to the wire, but it is shaping up for cert by end of June, with quantity shipments starting in July.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 1:14pm
(21 May 2014 Status Update):

We remain on track to have cert by the end of Q2. It may come at the last second of Q2 but so far nothing has blown that date. 

Updates in bold red below.  I stick by the externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;  Officially Done.   

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;  This was completed a few months ago so nothing new to report here.

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;  Already reported to be done.

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;  TFC is progressing well.   We're running testing on multiple stations literally around the clock and 7 days/week.  Based on extensive metrics to date, we project another 12ish days to complete that effort and reach "Red Label" status.  There is always a little asymptotic behavior at the end game but we'll have a good feel for that in about 7 days.

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system; Mike and I keep re-flying the flight test points that are part of this step.  We'll have dry run each test point multiple times by the time this step is "a go".   We think company testing will take between 3 and 7 days depending on the weather and airplane status.

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.  We had a productive face-to-face session with the FAA on Monday 19 May to go over the detailed punch list of remaining activities.  They do plan to conduct TIA themselves (it's a subset of the company test points) and currently have pilot availability during the projected time window and have tentatively blocked that out so they have resources ready when it's time.

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.  No change on this step but we've already drafted the larger and more content-filled documents from this set of data.  We think it'll be about a calendar month from the time we reach "Red Label" until we have TSO/STC approval in hand.  The FAA's own metric is a maximum of 30 days from final data submission to issuance of TSO/STC and they repeated multiple times during the Monday face-to-face that they intend to meet or beat that metric.  We've been going through agonizing delays and data re-submission requests on the R9.3 project and happily for IFD540 customers, the FAA asserts that will all count for the IFD540 project too.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 10:54pm
I think your real drop dead time is Oshkosh.  If you have certification by then you will be heroes.  No certification and you will be crucified.  Just my $0.02.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 2:13am
Exciting timeline.  It's definitely down to the wire.

I've heard very little from the folks who are flying with the early units.  I'd love to know how they are performing.  Any issues with comm quality, navigation performance, touch screen responsiveness, etc?  What's wonderful?  What can you not live without now that you have it? :-)
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 7:12am
Here is a link to a BeechTalk thread where I've been discussing my experiences with the IFD540s. 

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 4:46pm
Great thread!  Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading it and seeing all the photos.  I wish I had space in the panel for dual 540s, but I do have another MFD, so that's okay.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 6:07pm
+1

* Orest

EgnosGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EgnosGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 4:45am
Hi all!

I've been following with interest the thread and I must thank your transparency and in general the good level of feedback in the forum. 

I hope that the IFD540 is certified soon (by the way, Steve, any news?). In this regard, I understand that once the equipment is TSO'd, the STC for its installation will be also pursued following an AML approach, isn't it? What about the EASA certification? In Europe, we would like to know when and how this certification is taking place...

Thanks in advance.

All the best.
--
Emilio
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:45am
Will post a progress update tomorrow (Friday) but to answer EgnosGuy directly, yes, the first cert is a FAA AML STC.   We expect a simultaneous TSO and STC approval for the units.  That will cover any N-reg airplane but we will submit for EASA cert shortly after the N-reg units start shipping.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 2:46pm
Steve-
Can I take you away from Cert issues for a moment...? I would like to understand what to expect to see on my IFD540 screen when executing holds. More specifically, what role, if any, will it play in assessing the Holding Pattern entry method (direct, parallel, or teardrop); what wind correction features will happen;and will the actual pattern itself display accurately (including wind corrective turns)? Also, has Avidyne tossed their "simplicity elixir" into the unit to produce some magically simple method of setting up unpublished holds?

Thanx, John
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 9:32pm
Pointless to take any time away from the Cert process at this point. Hard deadlines are out there now, let's give these folks the opportunity to come through. Have you tried the sim, although it does not account for wind correction, it does give you the opportunity to execute pattern entry holds and magically simple unpublished holds on your pc. Master the sim and I believe most of your concerns will be addressed.   
GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 7:53am
(30 May 2014 Status Update):

A June cert date is officially blown.  All of our material is still expected to be formally submitted in time to support an end of June approval date BUT, in order to achieve a DO-200A Type 2 LOA letter (this letter validates the integrity of the nav data that you periodically upload), the local FAA Cert office has asked for assistance from the Washington DC FAA folks who want to conduct an on-site audit and their schedules can't support anything earlier than a 15, 16, 17 July audit.  Despite some very energetic efforts on our part, we've been unable to find a way to pull that date in.   It's an interesting dialog between us and the FAA who know how important the cert date is to us and our customers and they continually repeat that if we meet our delivery dates for the cert docs/artifacts and they are in R9.3 level of quality, they are confident we'll have approval in time to support shipping prior to Oshkosh.  I believe them. 

Updates in bold red below.  I stick by the externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;  Done.   

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;  Done.

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;  Already reported to be done.

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;  TFC is almost done.   Based on extensive metrics to date, we project another 6ish days to complete that effort and reach "Red Label" status.  

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system; No change since last report - Mike and I keep re-flying the flight test points that are part of this step.  We'll have dry run each test point multiple times by the time this step is "a go".   We think company testing will take between 3 and 7 days depending on the weather and airplane status.

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.  FAA still plans to conduct TIA themselves and we are negotiating what exactly they want to fly for test points.   Those agreed upon test points are a subset of our published company flight test points.  They still believe they have pilot availability for the likely time windows. 

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.  No change on this step but by way of supplemental information, our daily interaction with the FAA on both the R9.3 program and this program means they have gotten quite comfortable with the drafted data submission package.  We are jointly reviewing the open punch list and at this point, both us and the FAA believe THE thing driving cert date will be the mid-July FAA audit for DO-200A discussed above and both sides believe a cert date in time to support shipping prior to Oshkosh is likely.  They have supplied their audit checklist ahead of time and we think the audit is low risk, but of course, it isn't done until it's done.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 8:15am
Well, this is very unfortunate, but not expected with the FAA.  I have been having issues with the FAA on removing the Night N/A restriction on our new approaches.  This has been an ongoing issue I've been working on for two years now.  The FAA has no sense of urgency, does not call back when messages are left, does not use updated information, even when it is in th same folder as the original documentation, and simply does not understand that there is a world out there that lives and dies by revenue transactions.  Everything about our Government is broken!
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 8:17am
Thank you for your promptness and reality of the certification status. I'm sure this has been quite the task.
Waiting patiently.
EgnosGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EgnosGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 8:30am
Thanks for the update (and your previous response to my question as well). It seems to me that the authorities play more or less the same all throughout the world; indeed a pity...

Let's cross fingers :-)
--
Emilio
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 8:51am
Gring is right.

Broken is a kind understatement.

Very disappointing to hear that the finish line continues to move into the distance.
David Gates
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 9:21pm
This projects been in the works for years now. Let's not blame the FAA for doing their due diligence. They are not the reason for delays based on what I've been reading in this forum. Clearly, Avidyne, who is in the business of designing, building and selling avionics, either intentionally misled or failed to plan properly. Us as customers, should point the finger at who is at fault. The FAA didn't take a deposit two years ago and promise me the ifd540. AVIDYNE DID!

It is what it is, wait or get your deposit back. Everyone one I've met from Avidyne seem like great people. Doesn't change the fact that they didn't deliver as promised. They failed miserably.
DV
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 9:30pm
You are right about a problematic prerelease (I'm 3 years into this).

But I disagree about the FAA;  9th inning with 2 outs and they change the rules?

Come on.
David Gates
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 1:29am
I have full trust in Avidyne delivering a superior product in 2014. I just pre-ordered my 4th IFD540. All my planes will be Avidyne only. Come on guys, last round, you'll come out winning!
Phil_anthropist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_anthropist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 5:22pm
It seems to me it is worth millions to team G if certification could be delayed beyond EAA Oshkosh 2014.  Is it possible there are more than 2 players at this table?  It might not be surprising if some other thing came up between now and then.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 5:25pm
No. It'll work out fine. We'll be shipping prior to Oshkosh.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

No. It'll work out fine. We'll be shipping prior to Oshkosh.

I could go back, way back, in this thread and read so many similar predictions...

Oh, Steve, oh how we want to believe.  

Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 7:25pm
We'll make Oshkosh.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 8:10pm
The cynic would ask Oshkosh 2014? <g>

David Gates
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 11:13pm
Well played ddgates. Looks like my Q2 shipping question has been answered, hoping I can keep my medical long enough try one of these babies out...  
GDC25
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 12:17am
Garmin announced the WAAS upgrade for the 430/530 in 2000. For 2002. Then 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and finally shipped in 2007. 4-5 years delay...depending which initial statement you count.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 9:32am
In fairness, just wanted to add some levity to the situation.

I do think the Avidyne team is turning and burning as it were to get this out.

It seems to be a difficult environment (competition, regulation, etc). I still have questions, though, on the wisdom of prerelease (lessons learned?)

Once done, I think Jake deserves consideration for SVP of the year.
David Gates
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 7:48pm
Ditto on all counts!
GDC25
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 11:38am
Can I just pick up my unit at Oshkosh?  (2014, that is)

Unfortunately mine won't be a slide-in replacement, but I can have my Avionics guy queued up for when I get home.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 11:55am
Do you have a preorder with month 1 delivery position?

Given that the 540 production is all sold out for the first 7 months or more, I can't imagine a walk-in getting a unit at Oshkosh ahead of those of us who have been waiting for 3 years for one ;-)

Vince
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 1:22am
Not a walk-in.  I've been waiting two years.  I think I was told I was in either month 2 or month 4, but the way Steve was talking, they're going to be able to compress the production schedule.  I was half-kidding about picking it up at Oshkosh, but I was also half serious.  

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 8:14am
I don't think you could pick up a unit.  The agreement was that they wouldn't be sent to you but to your selected Avidyne dealer.

Avionics shops charge less for installation of equipment that they sold because they make a profit on the sale.  Avidyne is kicking back some money to the dealer to make up for the lost profit.  Otherwise the dealers wouldn't be real interested in installing our IFDs or would charge a higher price to do it.

I realize you were half-kidding.  It would be seriously cool if people could walk away from the Avidyne booth with a box that said IFD 540 in big letters.  On the other hand, I don't know that I would want to be carrying a box that said "$10,000 GPS" in big letters around Oshkosh.
marktrav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 10:18pm
I haven't been to Oshkosh in a couple of years, but of the 7 times that I DID go, I never felt unsafe about carrying anything expensive around. It's the most honest crowd I've ever had the pleasure of hanging around. Everyone's got a $10K box nearby.

But, the 540 (and my 440) will be like iPhones were when they were first released and everyone will covet one, right? :) Yeah, that's the ticket....
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 11:35pm
I absolutely agree Oshkosh is an amazingly low-risk place.  America at it's finest.  But think of it a different way:  Could you really enjoy Oshkosh carrying around a box worth about $17K? (Not your cost; what it would cost to replace.)   What if you got distracted and left it somewhere?  Dropped it?  It got hit by a tow vehicle, or someone (non-aviator) broke in to your car at the dorm and took it...?

Me?  Don't want to do that.  Don't want to THINK about that while I'm at Oshkosh.  I want to be soaking up everything else.  Please, just ship it!  (But soon, mind you...)

Also - as to the FAA scheduling kerfluffle: Steve was forthright from the beginning with respect to the FAA component of the schedule, and his certification criteria published in this forum were clearly (and described as) the things within Avidyne's control.  Furthermore, the material presented in this forum would indicate that Avidyne has been very proactive in managing those risks outside of their control.

It would be good if our Federal Goverment could *OPENLY* be compelled (or incentivized) to make commitments for which they are accountable; unfortunately, they cannot, beyond the Polls, and in this particular circumstance Avidyne (and those of use who have committed to a purchase) must bear the burden.  To place blame on Avidyne (or even the stuckees at the FAA) is misguided, and demonstrates ignorance of the regulatory and legislative processes in the US.  If Avidyne is to be faulted, is it for being so open with us?  Is that a fault?

Just saying...

Jon

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 6:21am
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

To place blame on Avidyne (or even the stuckees at the FAA) is misguided, and demonstrates ignorance of the regulatory and legislative processes in the US.  If Avidyne is to be faulted, is it for being so open with us?  Is that a fault?

Just saying...

Jon

No it is not being ignorant, it is understanding the development and company statements of the program and not for just the last few months.  Avijake has stated that FAA delays are not the significant contributor to the overall delay of this program, even when considering sequestration.  It is totally understandable for people who have had money down for years not to totally wipe the plate clean saying the delays are out of Avidyne's control because of the FAA's latest minor delay.  I know he's just a messenger so it's nothing personal, but Avidyne can be faulted for much more than simply being open with us.  To Avijake's credit, being open with us is the only reason I haven't pulled my deposit, I have seen zero updates outside of this forum for the money I put down years ago.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 9:23am
I agree.

Jake has kept me in the game.

If the updates were just the mindlesss notices "New (Delayed) Release Date", I would have bailed some time ago.

But that said, all patience has limits...
David Gates
Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Do you have a preorder with month 1 delivery position?

Given that the 540 production is all sold out for the first 7 months or more, I can't imagine a walk-in getting a unit at Oshkosh ahead of those of us who have been waiting for 3 years for one ;-)

I actually could imagine it since Avidyne would get more money for those boxes.  There would of course be quite the uproar if we found out.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

To Avijake's credit, being open with us is the only reason I haven't pulled my deposit, I have seen zero updates outside of this forum for the money I put down years ago.
That's a fair point.  I've not been in this as long as some -- I put a deposit on an IFD-440 in November of 2012 and upgraded that to a 540 in April of 2013.

I went back and checked, and since that November date I have received two unprompted communications from Avidyne.  

The first was on July 24 of last year.  It was from Patrick Herguth, and stated Avidyne's goal to have the 540 into certification in Q4 2014.  To be fair, it did also say that the best way to keep abreast of developments was here on AvidyneLive.

The second was last week, announcing the iPad app (yay!!).

All things considered, I think a bit more proactive communication would probably be appreciated, but I did follow Patrick's advice to come here instead! :)  I certainly appreciate Steve's efforts to keep us all up to date, and I think he strikes a good balance between candor and maintaining confidentiality of the company's information.

I wish I could be at Oshkosh this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic