Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 9:16pm
+2
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:46am
He just rewrote it and I think he'll have it ready sometime this week.

I wouldn't characterize it as "thunder".  It's really just an update for those folks who don't regularly use this forum - this site has much more, and current info at all times.

We'll start shipping the non-TSO units on/about 27 Jan.  That group of units will serve as the "pilot program" thereby eliminating that post-cert delay.

Based on the number of final phase activities required between us and the FAA, I expect we'll be shipping certified units in Q2.  As we get closer to the finish line, the uncertainty time band will decrease from weeks to days to hours.

We do have cert now on both the AMP240 Audio Panel and the AXP340 ADS-B Mode S Transponder. Both will be shipping in early 2014.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:51am
Is the transponder a slide in replacement for the King 76a
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:53am
Yes, the AXP340 is a plug and play slide in for the KT-76A.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:41am
Steve:

As of now, is the AXP340 certified for ES with either a Garmin WAAS or Avidyne WAAS panel mount GPS as position source?

Or is it just certified mode S?
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:50am
iFD540 Installation manual, please?
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

iFD540 Installation manual, please?

+1
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 2:45pm
David,

The AXP340 is certified (TSO'd) as a 1090 ES, Mode S transponder.   It can take the Avidyne IFD540 WAAS GPS position source (of course the 540 isn't certified for a few more months so technically, that is academic right now).

We specifically and formally asked Garmin for their data protocol and they declined our request so we don't believe the Garmin WAAS GPS is compatible (but we also haven't run any tests, nor do we plan to) to prove that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 2:47pm
I'm not ready to publish a draft of the IFD540 Installation Manual right now.  We have a few more things to populate in there.    It's one of my higher priorities right now to get that fleshed out and ready for public consumption.   I will post when it's ready.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 3:30am
Shipping non TSO'd units to Experimental aircraft in pilot program?

Looks like we are getting closer already! I know most of you have been waiting a long time, but the pace seems to be picking up suddenly.

Edited by Joe Jet - 27 Jan 2014 at 3:56am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 4:43pm
Yep, we're "about" 27 Jan today, so we should hear some news about non-TSO units shipping within the next few days….. and I don't know how they'll get installed without an installation manual ;-)

Vince
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 5:33pm
This morning I woke thinking I should have a serious talk with the mailman.

Afterall Steve promised a letter saying that the certification would be all set this quarter and deliveries in q2. And he promised a letter from somewhere in hierarchy which should say just this...
Or ...?  .. He does not dare to come by anymore as I send the dog after him.... mmmm

When comparing Garmin and Avidyne.. It seems to be that:

Garmin actually delivers products that work. .. but are rather harsh in the "how"
While Avidyne creates products that actually work as it should be but they do not deliver...
It is a rather weird discussion..

So .. Avidyne .. can we please please please get some clarity that indeed this q certification will finally be finalized and that delivery should be q2?!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 8:06pm
We're shipping the first of the pre-TSO units on Monday, 3 Feb.   Those guys will post PIREPS on how they're working in their aircraft.

We'll be shipping certified units before the end of Q2.

I'm not a fan of big government but please leave your poor mailman alone - I don't know what's up with the letter but I'll check.  I know this forum is the best place to get current info on the product.

I don't like Garmin.  Never have, never will. But I won't engage in that war of words.  Bottom line is that you guys are right - it's all big talk until the product is delivered.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 8:07pm
These things are so simple to install, there's no need for no stinkin Install Manual.

Well, I wish that were true.  Draft IM will go online later this week.  I'll make a post when that happens.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 6:43pm
A new thread was just started that announced the posting of the IFD540 Install Manual.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 9:10pm
Steve-
Can you tell me when Jeppesen will be ready with data updates. Just checked the Jepp site and no mention of the IFD540 yet. What if any data can I expect to be loaded in new box? When I placed my deposit in September 2012 a decision wasn't even made on data cards or USB updates. Is it the same data as the Release 9?
DV
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 9:22pm
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Jepp will be ready before the product is certified and shipping.    They have provided me all the pricing data and I'm now trying to figure out how to present that in a digestible format for the reader - it's a ton of options and data.

What do you mean by "what, if any data can I expect loaded in new box"?   I'm not sure I follow but but I will say the certified IFD540s will be delivered loaded with terrain, chart, nav, and obstacle data.

All of that data will be updated via the USB port.    It is the same data content as that in R9.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SteveMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 11:58pm
I'm now trying to figure out how to present that in a digestible format

Can you say if nav charts for one 540 would be same/cheaper/pricier than for GNS530W?
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:22am
Steve-
You answered all my questions. It fair to assume that Jepp data update packages should be comparable in price to the R9 data packages they currently offer. Customer will choose a package base on ones particular need. It's what I expected. Thanks for the quick reply.
DV
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 2:11pm
Steve McD,

Generally speaking that's a yes.  If you, or anyone else, want to send me (via this forum or personal email) your current Jepp segmentation option you're using, I can send back a specific Jepp price for that same or equivalent segmentation choice for IFD540 users.

Jepp made a lot of positive price changes, including a lot of very attractive bundling for very meaningful overall cost reductions.  That's part of why this is complicated to cleanly post here right now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:24pm
Steve,

When speaking to your people at Oshkosh last year I was told that Avidyne would be supporting Seattle Avionics charts on the IFD-540.  I was surprised but pleased by this.  I have heard nothing more about this since and a previous query was taken down.  So will you be supporting Seattle charts, and if so when will they become available?

Regards,
Jim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 10:12am
Hi Jim,

I'm afraid that is not true - at this time the IFD540 does not support Seattle Avionics as a charts provider.

There is a non-active thread on the topic on this forum at: 

You will see in that thread that we agree that it is a great option but the coverage gaps in the Seattle data did not warrant an offering at this point.

We're focused on getting the IFD540 done as defined for first release and the IFD440 in close trail after that.  When that's done, we hope to relook at some options such as Seattle Avionics for a data supplier but it's not an active exercise at this time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We're shipping the first of the pre-TSO units on Monday, 3 Feb.

So did these get out the door as expected?  I figured that would have been exciting news to report.

Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 10:01am
Co2bruce,

Did you get your money back yet?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:35pm
The first two pre-TSO IFD540s have been installed in customer aircraft.  Another handful will go in within a week.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
co2bruce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co2bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 12:11pm
Yes
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 6:55pm
Hi Steve,

(2 Jan 2014 Status Update):

Updates in bold red below.  I stick by the externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;  Done.   There are a few open items from that review but they won't be closed until TIA (described below).  None are considered to be any risk and we view it as a formality that has to wait until the TIA flight test.

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;  Done.  That was a giant nugget of DO-178 work and covered 1.2 million lines of code.

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;  Almost done.  Expect to be officially done by end of Jan.  We had to re-do some testing once we looked at previous results and found there was a mistake in some of the initial test setup, thereby invalidating those tests.  We view this additional testing to be no risk and just a formality.

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;  This is the complete focus of the team at this point.  Everybody who can write and run format tests are doing that.   As a refresher, DO-178 is the Software Development standard that certified avionics must comply with.  It is a requirements-based development process that means every single line of code must be covered by a governing written requirement and every requirement must have an associated test written against it that proves the code does what the requirement calls for.    We also have to show that every single line of code can be called and that the system performs in a deterministic manner - this is called code coverage.  The software tests are also written to prove that every line of code gets hit.  This final test phase is what we're consumed with.  We have gobs of internal metrics that cover all aspects of this exercise but they are too far down in the weeds to provide here but this is the task that will determine when the system is ready for shipment.

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system;  Waiting for #4 to conclude.  This will take 2ish weeks to complete.  Faster if good weather, slower if bad weather or maintenance issues.  We'll start that exercise slightly before #4 is complete for some schedule overlap.

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.  This one must wait until #5 is complete.  No real way to make this non-serial.  This one should take a few days.

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.  We've already submitted a number of those final artifacts but the last of that stuff can't go in until #6 is complete.

You will also see in Patrick's update coming soon that we've found a way to run a pilot program ahead of official cert so that pulls in deliveries by 3-6 weeks.  We've also found some internal build-out efficiencies in our factory that will pull in deliveries by another 4ish weeks.

How is progress coming against the schedule? Did 3. get completed on time by end-Jan?

With a target for certification in Q2 (which based on performance against schedule to date I take to mean end-June), and allowing about 6 weeks for 5., 6., & 7., it would seem 4. should be complete by latest mid-May. Is that looking doable?

Now that the PG & IM are nearly memorised, looking for the sim and an indication that there won't be any more delays. ;-)

BTW, haven't seen any PIREPs yet on the non-TSO installs. How are they going?

Vince

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 9:09am
Yes, 3 is done.

Yes, 4 will be done by mid-May or earlier.

Apple version of the sim hasn't gotten through the Apple store curators yet.  It and the Windows version will be done and available prior to cert.  No word on Android version yet.

I'm asking the pre-TSO pilot program folks to hold off on PIREPS for a few weeks.   The last big wave of pre-TSO units ship out next week (the recipient aircraft weren't ready for them until then).   Overall, those that have gone out and been installed are absolutely serving their purpose.  We've found a few flaws in the Install Manual as a result and about 4 integration bugs we wouldn't have found otherwise.  For example, someone found a bug when you combine touch screen ranging to the max range limit and simultaneous panning where the map can freeze up for 15-30 seconds - that was a good find that we've already fixed.  Another example is when using lightning systems with no heading input - we had unknowlingly introduced a bug in that code (all of our test aircraft have heading input) and have already fixed that.

We've actually already started part of #4 - that's the formal for-credit software testing.  There are some parts of the system that are complete and, from a software sense, uncoupled from other parts of the software and we have completed test-for-credit on those (e.g. device drivers, math libraries, operating system, etc)

I'm personally dry running all of the company flight test points in #5 now so there are zero surprises in that exercise when we do it for-credit.  I'll be done with that in less than a calendar week.

We've made a few more submissions of data from #7 and on the STC side, have all of the rest of the STC docs (minus the Company Test Report) done, DER signed off, and waiting until company test is complete to turn into the FAA.

We'll hit some roadblocks still I'm sure. But we're as prepared as we can be to deal with them and have accounted for those fire drills in our estimated schedules.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 12:01pm

We've actually already started part of #4 - that's the formal for-credit software testing. ...
Think you meant to say "We've already started part of #5...", right?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 12:08pm
So based on the May reference above, you are now looking at Q3 earliest?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 1:42pm
No, we've started #4 - software test-for-credit.

I've been dry running company flight tests (#5).

As for David's question, no, it's still Q2.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 6:32am
Were the flaws found in the Install Manual corrected in the Rev C release?  I see that in the notes, just verifying....
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 7:33am
No, not in Rev C.  We'll post a newer version by mid-week and update that thread.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 8:16am
I do have a question for you.  If the IFD 540 is a RNAV GPS solution and not an RNP FMS, why do I have to interface a baro altitude?  Is that optional?  The install manual doesn't say what's required and what's optional.

Edited by tony - 16 Feb 2014 at 8:16am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 8:28am
That's optional.  Some of the bigger, more sophisticated aircraft have other systems on-board that like to use IFD540 output that has a baro alt input.

Looks like I'll add a "optional" note to the IM - thanks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 8:41am

Yes, that would be helpful because the installers are going to have to put on the 337 that the IFD was installed accordance with the installation instructions.  Otherwise the STC is not valid.  If you don't put optional, they are going to have to do it exactly what the installation guide says.  I personally don't want to interface to my 30 year old gray code transponder, just asking for trouble. 

I have other questions but I need to keep reading, maybe I'll find the answers deeper in.

Edited by tony - 16 Feb 2014 at 9:18am
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:50pm
What IFD 540 capabilities require the connection to the blind encoder?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:34am
Paul,

Not sure I exactly understand the intent of your question but....

The following functions directly use pressure altitude as report by an encoder via the 540:

·         Air Data Calculator on UTIL tab of the IFD540

·         AXP340 Transponder

The following independently interface with a 540 and an encoder:

·         MX20

·         GMX200

·         GTX 327/330

·         Any other transponder that accepts 429 or Aviation from the 540

·         KGP 560

·         SKY497

·         SKY899

·         TCAD 990B & 9900BX

·         TAS 600/605/610/615/620

·         KTA870

·         KTA970

·         KMH980

·         KMH880

·         Assuming GTS 800/820/850 will need encoder data to set relative altitude of traffic intruders

We do not repeat out pressure altitude over any interface besides the AXP340.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 5:14pm
You've answered my question - in my plane the only thing it gives us it the air data calculator.

If the AXP340 transponder is connected to the IFD as you describe above does that mean the transponder will not output altitude unless the IFD is on and working?  That's probably not a big deal since the transponder relies on the GPS for location information anyways.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 9:36am
(24 Feb 2014 - Status Update):

We officially now have FCC approval/certification for the IFD540 unit.  This FCC cert is required for all emitters and involved a several week long test at an FCC test house.

I've also completed a dry run of every company flight test point (there are 301 test points) which took about 22 flight hours.   We'll have to do that for-credit near the end and the FAA will cherry pick a subset of those test points to fly during TIA (assuming they don't delegate that back to us).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 10:22am
R u still expecting shipments to begin in 3rd quarter of ,2014?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 10:24am
No.  We are expecting shipments begin in Q2, not Q3.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 11:33am

We officially now have FCC approval/certification for the IFD540 unit.  This FCC cert is required for all emitters and involved a several week long test at an FCC test house.

I've also completed a dry run of every company flight test point (there are 301 test points) which took about 22 flight hours.   We'll have to do that for-credit near the end and the FAA will cherry pick a subset of those test points to fly during TIA (assuming they don't delegate that back to us).

If they delegate that task back to you, can you use the dry runs that you have already completed to satisfy for-credit test cases?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 8:33pm
No, we can not.  I need to have an FAA Conformity inspection done before we can take credit.  We typically don't do that conformity inspection until we have Red Label.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 8:01am
So this means that instead of sitting in an office you have to go flying?  We appreciate your sacrifice on our behalf.
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 7:37pm

We officially now have FCC approval/certification for the IFD540 unit. 

I have read this numerous times yet suspect I still do not understand.  It is better to at least suspect you don't know anything than to not even suspect...
Does this mean the IFD540 is now certified?
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 8:03pm

no, it means the radio in the 540 is approved to transmit/receive in the united states. 

FCC= Federal Communications commission.

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:31pm

Steve,

So I'm guessing the non tso'd units have been flying for about a month now, anything you wish to share with the group?

Has that program generated any software changes?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:30pm
Yes, the program has generated some software changes.   Some examples:

1.  With no heading input to the TWX lightning sensor (i.e. steam gauge aircraft), we had a bug where the TWX would not work.  That has since been fixed. 

2.  One participant was fiddling around with making user checklists and found a combination of edits and deletions that resulted in a box software crash.  That has since been fixed.

3.  In dual IFD equipped aircraft with a very different configuration from our test aircraft, we found a design flaw with OBS operations.  That has mostly been resolved but has a few lingering issues we're working on.

Most of the pilot program induced changes however involve Install Manual cleanup and some setup lack of clarity.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:05pm
Sounds to my like the pilot program is working out quite well for the rest of us. Great idea. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic