Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:59pm
G tends not to announce products before they are in the channel, so you will never have any idea of their development cycle. I know one fellow that bought and installed a brand new 430W and 696, one month before the 650 & 796 were released. He was mighty unhappy. Even the dealer had no inkling of what was coming. 

Actually a lot of detail about development, staging and certification has been given out in these forums over the last number of months. While we'd all like it released "yesterday", things are moving, it is in the end game now.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Sep 2013 at 1:15pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

Avidyne has designed, certified, and shipped many fine products in the past.  I have no doubt they will get the IFDs out the door.  Though I am frustrated with Garmin's attitude WRT data format compatibility I do not fault Avidyne, and I still think the R9 based navigators are going to be great to fly with and much more intuitive than the mess that Garmin has made of the GTN series.  I've played with the GTNs and I don't like how they work.  My old 530 is easier to use.  I'm willing to wait a bit longer even though the original estimates were optimistic.  

I'm still in with my pre-order and I might actually add an IFD 440 to make my install even simpler.  I'll make that decision once I have a 540 or sim to play with for a bit.

These delays are not unusual when associated with a development, add to that a certifying agency that's staffed with a bunch of people who couldn't make it in industry and who like to add their own personal touch.  What is unusual is the transparency being demonstrated by Avidyne.   

Edited by tony - 25 Sep 2013 at 7:33pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

... What is unusual is the transparency being demonstrated by Avidyne.   

... and also very refreshing!

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 8:25pm
Wow, I'm glad it took me 12ish hours to look at the last day's of posts.  I couldn't have presented a better case than the last 4!

I know it may be hard to see the progress from the outside but we've made gobs of progress this year.     If anyone on this forum finds themselves in Lincoln MA anytime this fall, send me a note and we can arrange for you to swing by and see a snap shot of the endgame for yourself and comment as you see fit.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jperryfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jperryfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:41pm
Careful Steve I can still fly for free.  You might get takers on that invite!!
John
John Perry
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 7:13am
No problem.  The offer is real.  Already have a few takers and happy with more.

Our factory and larger facility is in Florida but I'm at the Massachusetts office and we have a full lab and a number of project engineers up here.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 11:50pm
Is this offer only good during regular Mon-Fri business hours?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 9:48am
Yes, M-F.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 5:45pm
Darn.  I have to work then.  Otherwise I couldn't afford the airplane, much less the new avionics.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 8:19pm
I know you've stopped speculating, but the FAA furloughs are probably not something you planned for.  How will they affect certification?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 8:26pm
If it continues, it will have a very significant impact.  All cert activities have been completely halted by the FAA at this time.  Here is an industry summary:

Subject:

Government Shutdown to Halt All FAA Certification Activities

It appears to be increasingly likely that a Congressional budget impasse may result in a partial government shutdown which will significantly impact FAA (with the exception of air traffic services) and essentially halt all activities performed by the office of Aviation Safety which includes Aircraft Certification Service (AIR) and Flight Standards (AFS). 

The FAA portion of a Department of Transportation plan on "operations during a lapse in annual appropriations" which provides provisions regarding the shutdown is attached for your information (the complete report is available at http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/DOT%202014%20Plan%20for%20Approp%20Lapse.pdf)  The plan calls for the FAA office of aviation safety (AVS) to temporarily reduce its workforce from approximately 7,400 to just 310. 

I attended a meeting with FAA today where we were given more specific information on AIR and AFS plans.  Only those staff who perform tasks essential to“life and property” would be excepted from a shutdown furlough.  Essentially, Aircraft Certification would operate with approximately 100 employees and Flight Standards with 200 employees system-wide.  This is basically enough people to keep the lights on and ensure that FAA can respond to any safety issue that may occur and call-in additional staff as necessary. 

Type certification activities requiring FAA direct involvement will come to a complete halt with the exception of emergency ADs.  No FAA personnel will be able to support certification activities to include processing of applications, approval of certification plans, meetings/response to applicants/industry, and issuance of approvals/certificates (including airworthiness certificates).  Although the plan mentions that FAA would bring back additional parts of the aviation safety workforce after 2-weeks to better manage safety risk, this would be limited to certificate management safety oversight and COS activities and not include any type certification.  Previously approved certification plans and properly authorized delegation activities can continue as normal so long as direct FAA involvement is not necessary (i.e. approval, witness, etc).   

We will keep you apprised of any developments or changes in policy related to the impact this budget impasse has upon FAA's aircraft certification service and support for your type certification activities. 

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:03pm
Our tax dollars at work... or... not.

Since Garmin's 330-ES won't play ball, how about King's new KT-74?  I assume the IFD's, being good open-source players in the market, will cooperate with the KT-74 to supply it ADS-B GPS position info?

glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:38pm
Worst case the latest governmental debocal gives you guys to time to fine tune what has to be done to get the 540's out early 2014. I really appreciate your courage making this forum available to buyers and the public alike which enables us to have a glimse of the developmental process required to get a product like this into our airplanes. The unfortunate side to the open access is deadlines that are not met , many of which are not in your control, which ultimately leads to a lack of confidence as the calander clicks off month after month. As a person in sales I must say that Steve is a person I admire, almost always positive and willing to take the heat when things don't go as planned. The reality is that we are about to get some of the coolest technology available to GA in a long time. I think I'll stick it out a few more months to take advantage of it. No more complaining from me, just get it done and let me know when my 540 is ready to ship!!!
GDC25
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:50pm
We all believe the folks at Avidyne are nice guys and that they would not shut down the government just to give themselves a little time to fix a few bugs.

Hopefully this will be over soon.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 10:51am
Reference TogaDriver's KT74 question - we're not sure yet.  It's actually a  Trig transponder and we *think* we understand the protocols but we haven't become 100% confident yet.

Reference Glassanza's vote of confidence - thank you.  We really appreciate the willingness to stick it out and agree that this unit is a great product (and worth the wait).

Reference Paul's shut down note - we too hope this will be over soon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 12:04pm
this 1fd540 is becoming a real problem with potential users Because of UNREALISTIC CONSISTANT claims about certification.

this is an embarrassment to the company.. and this company will suffer the consequences.

they should do more to keep the ifd 540 customers more in the loop.

as I am not a customer, my heart goes out to the people who have put their money into this never ending money hole.

I hope that they don't delay into 2015
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 1:28pm
Hello Wurtzy,

I love and share your enthusiasm.   I also appreciate your concern for the company and our current and future customers.

You and others can keep checking back with this forum to always get the most up-to-date and accurate assessment of progress.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 3:05pm
Forgive me if this is a bit off topic. I am happy with the way Avidyne has performed, but I am very displeased with the degree of involvement by the FAA.
It seems to me that the only involvement of the FED should be as to whether or not the set meets safety of flight performance as would a panel light or a defroster fan. How the information is presented should NOT be an FAA evaluation.  If Avidyne presents the data poorly, we consumers will let them know about it. While I am sure the FAA folks involved are fine gentlemen or women who really want to do a good job, they should NOT be interfering with what the market wishes to present to we customers. As long as the data presented meets the accuracy standards for navigation, the manner of that presentation should be up to the person trying to sell the box and we who may want to buy it.

As is true of so much these days, the Nanny State is protecting us right out of the sky. 

What a sad state of affairs.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
For what it is worth, soloed in 1946 and been actively flying IFR since 1950.
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 3:22pm
avidyne should have a better p/r department. the bad news will get worse as the delays lengthen.

the competitors will come up with better solutions as a the swaps out of the garmin 530 continue to increase.

avidyne had it's chance but let it slip away with the ifd540
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 3:24pm
if avidyne were on the ball like garmin, THEY WOULD HAVE HAD A DEMO UP ON THE INTERNET BY NOW.

GARMIN DID IT WITH THE 530.,
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 3:39pm
Wurtzy,

I don't know how big you think Avidyne is but I can assure you, there is no Public Relations Department here.

I also don't know what bad news you think will get worse nor what you mean by lengthening delays but we continue to appreciate your passion.

We're not posting the demo for downloads yet in case there is a feature or function that needs changing due to cert authority directive.  We've been done with the product from a feature standpoint for months.  We've been done with the downloadable trainer for months. We're unable or unwilling to distribute those until cert is closer and the chance of change is approximately zero.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 10:11pm
I have followed avidynelive.com pretty religiously now for a couple of years and have not seen a comment from wurtzy that I can recall. As someone with skin in the game, i.e. invested financially in the end result of the 540 program, I have to say to wurtzy if you are so convinced that Avidyne has screwed up just wait for Garmin to start selling you a plug and play replacement for the 530/430. The 750/650 series certainly is not, so just hang on another year or two for their product and let me know how that works out for you. Once again politically correct Steve, keep the focus where it belongs. 
GDC25
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 10:25pm
That being said, the last few comments sounded a lot like a Jeff Dunham puppet character that I love (google it if you don't know what I'm talking about) so if that's you Jeff, you crack me up...
GDC25
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We've been done with the downloadable trainer for months. We're unable or unwilling to distribute those until cert is closer and the chance of change is approximately zero.

It would be wonderful if you would be able to come up with an android trainer in the meantime.  Hopefully it wouldn't be too tough since the apps run the tactical code.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 6:55am

I don't know how big you think Avidyne is but I can assure you, there is no Public Relations Department here.
Steve, you may not have a sign on your door that says so, but I think you (and the other Avidyne employees who occasionally post here on the forums) ARE the company's PR dept, and I personally think you guys do a pretty good job.

A post here from an Avidyne employee is worth 1,000 press releases!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 9:30am
Our plan is to provide an Android-based trainer at some point post-release but we're not actively working that right now.  All hands are working to get the basic product certified and shipping.

The Mac (Ipad) and PC (touchscreen tablet) variants of the trainer are done and have been for a while. It's not clear when we'll re-attack the Android capable version.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 11:58am
Has the government shutdown completely shutdown your certification efforts or is there work going on in the background?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 12:12pm
See my 1 Oct post at 8:26pm.   No change since that.

Avidyne has a ton of activity going on internally for cert but the FAA is completely shut down for all cert activities.   That is not having any impact on IFD540 schedule yet.   If it goes another week or so, then we'll start to be immediately impacted since that's about when we're ready to turn in our next wave of cert documents and artifacts.   There is some likelihood that when the cert groups of the FAA come back to work, the backlog they will have generated during the shutdown may take a while to work off and therefore things will get delayed but that's just speculation on my part and not known until they're back and trying to service data or actions from us.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 6:48am
are there other projects you can work on (like the IFD440) trying to bring that schedule to the left or will you begin furloughing Avidyne employees?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:56am
We're all "essential" personnel here so no furloughs for us.  We have plenty to do on IFD540 to keep us all busy during the FAA furloughs.  If this drags out a few more weeks then we'll have to get creative on project workloads.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

are there other projects you can work on (like the IFD440) trying to bring that schedule to the left or will you begin furloughing Avidyne employees?

This is what I meant by my android simulator comment.  I know they mentioned before that they were going to work on one, but I was thinking if they had unexpected time due to the govt shutdown that they could work on that project.  Maybe I'm biased because I had a deposit on the 540 before the 440 was announced, but I think it would be nice to have the 540 fully supported (including simulator) before diverting effort away towards the 440.
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:13am
What about the small Garmin 750.   Cud that e a trade up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 6:41pm

No change to MPSUE open issues since my 1 Sep, 0825 post.    The FAA has been busy with other projects and haven't been able to schedule in a follow-up bench session.  I'm not sweating that out however - it's low risk.

As for the requests on more color on cert status, I'm not sure I can do that.  That's not because we have anything to hide or any unwillingness.  It's really just that I think it's nearly impossible to communicate the actual metrics and detailed tasks we use to close out DO-178 software cert.  Unless you do that for a living, there's virtually zero chance that data would make any sense.  Even those customers who have worked in other versions of software development would find a lot of this as foreign concepts.   It would be a super human effort on all of our parts to effectively communicate those details.  In lieu of that, I stick by externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system;

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.

We're in the midst of #2 with multiple weeks still to go on that.

As for the pilot program, we had a ton of volunteers but frankly very few with interesting combinations of gear.   I'm not focused on down-selecting individual owners and airplanes for that effort at this time - my main focus is to get out of software Test-for-Credit (TFC) prep and into TFC itself so that we can then get to Red Label status.

We do have a substantial back log but I believe everyone who has pre-bought a unit or put a deposit down for one has a delivery month defined for them.   It totally depends on the date on which the pre-buy/deposit was made.   Some people have Month 1 positions and some have Month 6 positions.

It's been about a month since this update was posted.  I know most of that time the FAA was shut down, but do you have anything new to share with us?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 7:34pm
(IFD540 Cert Update - 21 Oct 2013):

#1 is done.   

#2 is 76% complete.  Of course that is meaningless if you don't know the rate of closure or when we started.   That number is ticking up at a rate of about 5% per week.  Some weeks it's a lot higher and some weeks is notably lower.   We have broken the cert artifacts up into hundreds of little individual jobs and it's those individual jobs that we have completed 76% of as of this past Friday.

We're plugging away at #3 and #4 in parallel with #2.

I will be all over AvidyneLive posting completion of #2, 3 and 4 the minute they're done.  We have a lot riding on it and a lot of eager customers and watchers.

(And as a side note, the FAA is still scrambling to get their hands around their backlog and we have not had any re-engagement yet on the 540 program from the cert office.)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:00pm
Based on the forgoing ,the reality could be 2015 for potential customers who have not put down deposits.however the only replacement for the garmin 530 seems to be the 540 at this time.....if nobody can come up with same size replacement in the meantime..

If this avidyne is not out in the middle of next year, my honest opinion is that some smart competitor will be playing catch up ball.

Good luck.     Jw

TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 2:24pm
Tiny start-up companies do not have the resources to survive the FAA dodge-ball course.  And, relatively speaking, at 29M revenues vs. Garmin's 1B I'd call Avidyne a small company.

The really small avionics companies are mostly doing Experimental stuff and avoiding the TSO nightmare.  This is not an option for IFR GPS and Transponders.
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 5:12pm
We do have a substantial back log but I believe everyone who has pre-bought a unit or put a deposit down for one has a delivery month defined for them.   It totally depends on the date on which the pre-buy/deposit was made.

How do we find out our defined delivery month?  I made my deposit in Dec 2011 but haven't heard anything about this.

Thanks in advance
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 7:56pm
If your deposit was that early, my guess would be that you'd  be in the first month of shipments. I put a deposit down in Oct 2012, and I'm in the fourth month of production.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Oct 2013 at 8:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

If your deposit was that early, my guess would be that you'd  be in the first month of shipments. I put a deposit down in Oct 2012, and I'm in the fourth month of production.

* Orest

Thanks for the reply.  However, does anyone know where to find the actual list?  
I had last spoken with an Avidyne person in January 2013 and he then predicted a June 2013 production date.  In April I talked with an avionics shop owner, an Avidyne distributor/partner, while getting some work done and he told me June wasn't happening.  
Not an entirely unexpected result but I'd still like to know where I am on the list.  
Thanks again for any help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:41am
Avidyne's not going to publish a list for public viewing.  It's nobody else's business who or how many folks are buying.

Contact an Avidyne sales rep and ask.  They'll tell you what production month you're in.

What calendar date does that translate to?  Nobody can know for sure yet when the units will go into full production.  Follow this thread for Steve's (AviJake's) periodic updates to keep tabs on how things are going.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Airotto370 Airotto370 wrote:

I'd still like to know where I am on the list. 

Look at your deposit agreement.  Mine says "This offer is for IFD540’s available in the third month of full-rate production."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 11:32am
Ahhh, excellent!  2nd month.  Thanks for that, appreciate the help.
Bill
Cascade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cascade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 7:23pm
I am satisfied that Avidyne's good folks are doing all they can to navigate the certification process as efficiently as possible.  And I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to make a speculative purchase of the hardware at a deep discount.  But this talk of delivery slots (ours is the 5th month) has me reviewing expectations versus reality.  In mid-2012, expectations were for certification in the 2012-13 wintertime, and deliveries in perhaps spring-summer of 2013.  Current reality says certication may not come for another several months, then production ramp-up, then wait-your-turn for delivery.  It is now looking like Christmas, 2014 for us.  That would be 2-1/2 years after fronting the money and 1-1/2 years later than we hoped.  So here is my suggestion (or my plea):  If Avidyne can make it work from a business standpoint, it would be nice to compress the delivery schedules of the long-patient early adopters.  That is, given the disappointing slippage in the roll-out schedule, if at all possible I would hope Avidyne could see its way clear to accelerate the deliveries for its loyal early purchasers / financeers who will have waited much longer than expected.
Cascade
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 6:35pm
There ought to be some value added for money hold (and not using new generation equipment) for 2.5 years now; probably 6-12 months to go yet?
David Gates
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 8:08pm
I agree with TogaDriver's comment that a small company doesn't have the resources to deliver TSO equipment in a short period of time. However, I have noticed several offers in the trade rags for some pretty cheap 750/650 trade in deals for 530W/430W equipment which include "standard installation" which is obviously the big unknown. So maybe big guy has decided to dangle a carrot out there to see if anyone is getting tired of waiting. On another note, I ran across a avionics guy at an airport I flew into today who was removing a bad Avidyne PFD from a Meridian I think and I told him I was on the list for two IFD 540's to replace my existing 530's. He recommended I trade in my 530W units for two 650's and sell my new 540's on Ebay when I get them to help offset the upgrade cost. Time yields options....    
GDC25
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 8:26pm
Going IFD540 to GTN650 (even two), is a big step down in function and capability. I suppose if you are really growing impatient, getting one 750 might make more sense, but even then you will be losing capability.

I have seen some Garmin ads with verbage including "waiting" and "rebates". They are reacting, I think they see a real competitor on the horizon.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 7:07am
Steve,
I keep reading over this list you posted last week and I do have a couple of questions.  Has the ACO delegated approval authority to your DMIRs and DERs for the hardware and software qualifications, or do they only have recommend authority?  I asked this because effectively there are only about six work weeks left for the year.  December could be a very non productive month with a lot of the government guys being forced with use or loose vacation time.

If the answer is recommend, have you approached the ACO and asked for approval authority?  You guys should have generated a level of trust with them by now.

Tony

Edited by tony - 26 Oct 2013 at 7:09am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 7:27pm
Let me start with Cascade's 24 Oct post at 7:23 since it seems everything prior to that was resolved amongst yourselves.

Cascade is suggesting/plea-ing for a way to pull in delivery dates.    Understood.  We are evaluating options for doing just that.  Until/unless we find a way, the delivery months stand as is in each individual pre-buy contract.   However, I think we'll find a way.  It's a very active topic inside Avidyne right now.

ddgates is looking for some value added offer above/beyond what exists now.    Understood and like above, we are evaluating options for doing just that.   I'm optimistic so stand by for some potential good news on that front.

glassanza is observing and commenting that time yields options and some others are recommending jumping ship.  Understood the reality and the pressure.   Of course that is your prerogative and may be your choice and yes, the 5000lb Garmin gorilla is trying to tempt people to jump with incentives and heavy duty marketing.   From our perspective, much better things come for those who wait.   We know it's frustrating for all of you who have pre-bought and want the unit(s) now.   I know you can buy and install a Garmin unit tomorrow.  I also know that I use both the Garmin units and the Avidyne units every day in flight and the Avidyne unit is just plain superior.  Very superior.   Pre-buy folks got a tremendous financial deal and the Avidyne unit will be much better than the alternative.  Period.

Orest notes the Garmin pressure and thinks Garmin feels real competitive pressure.  He's absolutely correct.

Tony is probing for the amount of delegation granted or planned by the FAA.    Yes, we have been or will be granted a very large amount of delegation and that is very helpful and very powerful.  There are dozens of artifacts and tests that must be accomplished for the unit cert.  Most have been delegated but the FAA is holding onto some and it's extremely unlikely that will change.  They are attempting to create what they believe is a level playing field and are trying to hold us to the same cert standards they hold/held the competition to.    There are a lot of gory details behind that and some continual ebb and flow on the position but in general, we're very happy with the amount of delegation the FAA has granted.  The FAA is NOT the schedule chokepoint on this program at all.   The amount of DO-178B cert work we have to do on roughly 1 million lines of software code is just time consuming and has to be done with our without delegation.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:39pm
Steve, thanks for the transparency and clarity, I certainly appreciate it. I'm in the camp of great things come to those that wait, and I'm excited.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:45pm
Thanks for the update.

Do you have any information on the undisclosed features that were promised?  Perhaps, how many are remaining and how long prior to final cert they'll be announced?  Maybe even confirmation they are going to make the initial release.

Edited by brou0040 - 26 Oct 2013 at 8:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic