Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

Confirmed to go in the shop on Sept 12th on my way to a week long business trip and will pick it up on the 19th.

I'll post a real picture that weekend if all goes as planned as I'll have a 600nm flight back from my avionics shop on 19th to fiddle with it

Good luck with it!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:00pm
Ooh, you jinxed it.

Everybody knows avionics installs ALWAYS take two weeks!

Good luck.
David Gates
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:47am
Can we get an update on production status now that the theoretical 1st month of production is nearly ended?

Is Avidyne on schedule or behind? I know several folks that were in the first month and I've not yet heard of anyone getting their 540. Not trying to start trouble, just curious.

Jim
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 3:19pm
I received an email this morning for a special offer to receive free ADS-B out if you order a unit. I called and asked when I could get the unit and was told a week to ten days. I then asked why I couldn't get an answer when I would receive my month three units, and I was told that all month one units had been delivered. I was told again that someone would let me know. I gotta tell you this is really frustrating as I'm waitng ever so patiently for these units so I can put my airplane on the market.
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:58am
I am in the second "month" delivery slot and I was just told not to expect my unit until the end of November at the earliest. 

This is what was posted earlier on this blog:

Month 1 = 15 Aug - 15 Sep
Month 2 = 16 Sep - 15 Oct
Month 3 = 16 Oct - 15 Nov
Month 4 = 16 Nov - 15 Dec

I guess that was optimistic just like every other prediction.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 12:16pm
It is starting to look like Avidyne's month has 60 days:

month 1 : Aug 15 - Oct 15
Month 2 : Oct 16 - Dec 15
Month 3 : Dec 16 - Feb 15
etc

Vince
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 12:17pm
I am also Month 2.  I was told in early Sept to expect a late Sept/early Oct delivery based on their then current delivery rates.  I inquired again this past Monday since I hadn't heard anything and was told January 2015  "Due to the large volume of 1st month customers".

Since they ostensibly knew how many Month 1 boxes they had to deliver from the start I pushed back and was quoted an end of October date, perhaps 1st week in November.  Hopefully they will honor that. It might be worth asking if they can push up your delivery.

Obviously, the communications and customer care processes are lacking and disappointing.  I hope I am not sabotaging my delivery by this post as well, keeping my fingers crossed.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 12:53pm
If that is true, then the 1st month customers mentioned to you likely meant those 1st month buyers that paid full price. It is starting to look like the pre-buyers are getting their units only after all the full-price buyers have been served.
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 1:43pm
Hi Vince,

Good point, I hadn't considered the impact of fresh buyers and their $$ on the delivery schedule.  

Still, seems like folks like us, who've have our money invested for 3 years, should warrant a more considerate approach.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 4:48pm
It sounds more like Avidyne is having problems getting the production rate to where they were expecting.

I don't know if it is too late to cancel a pre-order and buy a retail unit, but in between my fifth and sixth e-mail copies of the "Avidyne Insider" that announced the free transponder I received e-mail from Sarasota Avionics showing a special IFD 540 price of $13,495.  If that includes the transponder it is a very tempting offer.  It isn't on their website but I called and confirmed it was real.  I'm too far from Florida to take advantage of it though.
ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:37pm

I am in the fifth month of delivery , my purchase was in September 2012 if they delivered it in January of 2015 will have spent two years of the date offered by the seller of Avidyne.
I think the right thing in a company would start delivering first to customers that have given the money to finance them for more than two years and if they are giving  free the transponder for a IFD 440 also should give me one on my purchase of the IFD 540
Best regards to all forum members.

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 8:58pm
I was told that I am in month one and I have a delivery date in the second week in December
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:01am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

I was told that I amĀ in month one and I have a delivery date in the second week in December

Now THAT just defies logic.

I was month one and I have received my units.
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:23am
Agreed, that makes zero sense.  I'm happy that you (David) got your box already but, given all the seeming inconsistencies in the reported delivery schedules, am at a loss as to what that portends.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

It sounds more like Avidyne is having problems getting the production rate to where they were expecting.

I don't know if it is too late to cancel a pre-order and buy a retail unit, but in between my fifth and sixth e-mail copies of the "Avidyne Insider" that announced the free transponder I received e-mail from Sarasota Avionics showing a special IFD 540 price of $13,495.  If that includes the transponder it is a very tempting offer.  It isn't on their website but I called and confirmed it was real.  I'm too far from Florida to take advantage of it though.

It would be interesting to know what the delivery/installation lead time is on the units being offered by Sarasota. Going through all the messages, if Sarasota has immediate installation, then it would appear that there is a high demand for full-price ($13,495 being a reseller-discounted full price) units and the pre-buyers schedule is being constantly pushed back to allow the full-price orders to be filled. A bit frustrating for the pre-buyers, but makes sense from an Avidyne cash-flow viewpoint. The pre-buyer deliveries don't bring in any new money and a cynic would say that those who've waited for nearly 3 years can wait a bit more in favour of cash from the new full-price buyers. Bottom line is, the price to pay for a deep discount purchase is a long wait both for certification and at the back of the production queue.

I retire next September and will likely need to sell my plane at that time. When I did my pre-buy back in 2011 (I'm in month 2) I was hoping to get some use out of the 540 before that time came. At this stage I'm not 100% sure, but I haven't lost hope that I'll at least get a summer's flying with the 540.

What I find to be a real slap in the face for the pre-buyers is the offer to new buyers only of a combined 540/340 at the price of a 540. That effectively drops the 540 part nearly down to the pre-buy price that people paid 3 years ago..... not really a message that will encourage anyone to participate in another eventual pre-buy program. As I think someone mentioned, the pre-buyers really deserve some sort of gesture of thanks from Avidyne in the form of a deep-discount on a 2nd unit such as a 340.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:24am
Quote As I think someone mentioned, the pre-buyers really deserve some sort of gesture of thanks from Avidyne in the form of a deep-discount on a 2nd unit such as a 340.

That was my thought as well, and I posted here earlier about it. In reaction, a couple of days later I got a telephone call from Avidyne sales, explaining that there is indeed a deep discount on additional equipment (transponder, audio, etc.) to pre-ship buyers, as long as it is purchased at the time of the pre-ship order shipping, and that has to be done liaising with Avidyne. Your dealer may not know anything about it, nor be able to generate the discount themselves.

I think the freebie 340, with a 540 purchase deal was thrown in to compete with a similar promotion by G, that is just business. Note that both of these "deals" are limited time offers. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Oct 2014 at 9:25am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:34am
I saw your post, Orest, and contacted Avidyne Sales asking about it. The reply was that Avidyne no longer sells direct and that I should contact my dealer.

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 10:14am
And yes, I've seen the freebie offer on the web site (still there).

The 2 catches (fine print) to that offer are:
a)  The order must ship by Oct 31, 2014. My order is "month 2", whatever that means it definitely won't ship by Oct 31, 2014. I'm hoping before Oct 31, 2015.
b) It is limited to 540 purchases between Sep 15 - Oct 31. I bought mine 3 years ago ;-)

Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 10:33am
Quote The reply was that Avidyne no longer sells direct and that I should contact my dealer.

And, though it may seem an inconsistency, that is also true. They promised to dealers that direct sales won't occur once the product is certified. But, Avidyne also wants to insure that such discounts are only given to pre-ship buyers. So the dealer alone cannot initiate the discount pricing, all three have to be in the loop on it. That is how I understand it.

Vince, give Avidyne sales another call, ask to speak to Jeffery. Report back.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Oct 2014 at 10:34am
Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 4:33pm
I am in month 7 supposedly.  My shop said he had called Avidyne and was told I am scheduled for April.  When I asked my sales guy Brian Oliver saying that was way beyond 7 months after they got certified and he said that was for the 440.  I recently sent him an email asking where I stood and what about that xponder offer and he has not answered. 

I know when I posted a while back saying that Avidyne was showing no respect for their "investors" (that's essentially what we are) several people jumped to their defense.

Avijake had even posted that they had found ways to up production so was holding out the carrot that we might actually get our boxes ahead of the promised schedule.

Now it seems that they are putting new buyers ahead of us.  Of course, from a simple economics standpoint as someone said (I am the cynic he referred to I guess), they already have our money and they get more by supplying full-price buyers and figure we've waited this long....  However, that is no way to treat your investors.  They could blame the FAA for the certification delays but can't blame anyone but themselves for failure to meet the promised deliveries once they got the TSO.

The letter from the CFO never came and now sales isn't answering or they are passing the buck to dealers.  I have only been waiting a little over a year and pre-bought both 540 and 440.  Those of you who are in the supposed first couple of months have been waiting 3.

At this rate i may not live to see my 440.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 5:40pm
Here's some further feedback on the discounts being offered to preebies:

I spoke with Brian Oliver again this week.  He confirmed again that there is a substantial discount on the AXP-340 for us preebies.  He said there is a very small discount on the AMX-240 audio panel.  I passed this info on to my dealer and he is currently waiting on Brian to call him back.  I hope that they will work out the details by tomorrow, so I can get a handle on my total out of pocket.
Old Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 6:22pm

I have contacted my dealer and told him that I will be interested in getting the new transponder if the price is inline with today's market.  So far, neither he nor I have had any notification as to when my set or Bob II's will be delivered. Bob II did check about his set and the girl told him that mine should be in the third week of October. As an aside, the Thursday Webinar did not go today. Anyone know why?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 6:27pm

By the way, I note that I am shown on this list as having "joined" in July of this year. My credit card ledger shows that my purchase was made on August 4, 2011. I think that puts me in Month One, does it not?

Happy Skies

Old Bob

PS I still like the lighthouse!

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:12pm
Yikes, what a mess.

I know the Sales crew are trying to schedule all month 1, 2, 3 folks - that's their focus right now.   I don't think it's very effective to try and address any scheduling challenges from this forum.

I think the most effective method if you have concerns (and I highly recommend this approach) is to talk directly with Jared Butson (jbutson@avidyne.com, or 781-402-7569) about your delivery date or lack of contact from Avidyne.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:13pm
......and you can get the straight scoop from him on various bundle options and prices.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
hamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:16pm
Is there a timeline yet for TAWS-B?

We have a customer whos IFD is shipping now along with an AXP, he pre-purchased the TAWS-B upgrade but we are now being told the TAWS-B he paid for years ago won't be installed?

We need to install a TAWS annunciator in his aircraft due to radio stack location, so do we run some wires, cut a hole and blank it or do nothing?

On a seperate note he also asked the question - Is Baro VNAV in the future addition maybe list or not at all? 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:34pm
No, we don't have a timeline for certified TAWS-B yet.    We are adding more elements of TAWS-B with each major software release (next up is the "500" call on approaches).

The customer has two choices - let the low $ price deposit ride (in other words, keep the super low cost prepayment stay in place) or get a $ refund.  We're fine with either, just let us know.

As for your annunciator question, you can certainly run some wires but it will be a while (not first half of 2015 for sure) before those wires would do much.

As for Baro-VNAV, not yet.   I presume you mean the Baro-VNAV approach type.  If, if case, that's not what you meant, I will say that we are providing a means to supply the IFD540 data features that currently require baro input to work even without baro input on an upcoming software release ("Release 10.1").
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:44pm
I really like the idea of a 500 foot callout.

Each time I cross country, which is weekly, can hear the 2500, 1000, 500, 100, callouts from the cockpit.  Good SA.  (And I don't think any of the brand X boxes do that?)

Your box couldn't do same as a radio altimeter, but some cardinal callouts could be useful.

Edited by ddgates - 09 Oct 2014 at 8:45pm
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:43pm
Steve,  Without holding you to any firm dates, can you estimate when 10.1 might be released?  I understand the VSR function will then work as the 430 does.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 8:28am
No, I'm not willing to provide that estimate.  Despite the best intentions of everyone involved, that has not worked out well in the past.

A few guys are working on a bug fix release called Release 10.0.2.0 and the rest are working on Release 10.1.

x
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 3:01pm
I can confirm that I was offered a nice discount on the AXP-340, and as a result, there will be one in my panel along with my 540.  Thanks, Avidyne!  :)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by MikeK MikeK wrote:

I can confirm that I was offered a nice discount on the AXP-340, and as a result, there will be one in my panel along with my 540.  Thanks, Avidyne!  :)

Good, good, then .. someday, I might have them too!

At least, that is the plan.

* Orest

zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 8:07pm
I was told I am month 1 with delivery in December. Problem is, I didn't even order a 540. I ordered 2 440's.
whiskykilo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 2:16am
Hello,
I would like to use the system in my german registered Bonanza.
Is there a time line for Easa Certification ?
Thanks
Wolfgang
EASA registered Beech Bonanza F33A located in EDKB Hangelar/Germany, Aspen 1000 EFD, 2 x IFD540
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 7:47am
"Anytime now".    That could range from 1 week to 3+ months.   We did submit our EASA application almost two months ago and we're in wait mode.  It's very difficult to get status updates from EASA and we have no idea how long they will take.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:23pm
Are there any news about the EASA Certifican state ?
EASA registered Beech Bonanza F33A located in EDKB Hangelar/Germany, Aspen 1000 EFD, 2 x IFD540
EgnosGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EgnosGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:50am
Hi all,

I'm asking the same as whiskykilo1: Are there any news about the EASA certification of the IFD540?

Thanks.
--
Emilio
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 9:02am
No update to the EASA certification. We are working with EASA officials to get an approval.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
EgnosGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EgnosGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 9:12am
Thanks Simpson.

It seems to me that any tiny progress there would be a huge step.

I hope the approval comes soon.

--
Emilio
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:50am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

No update to the EASA certification. We are working with EASA officials to get an approval.

So, does that mean that currently you still aren't able to legally use an IFD540 in Europe?

* Orest

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 1:05pm
It means that we are unable to install an IFD540 in an aircraft registered in an EASA country which include the EU (European Union) countries plus a few more like Switzerland & I think Norway & a couple more. So the market for the IFD540/440 is limited.

No problem operating the IFD540 in Europe, like those of us with N-regs have been doing for over a year.

Edited by chflyer - 25 Feb 2016 at 1:07pm
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 2:05pm
Thanks CH.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:41pm
CH, just for my own education....  do you have something like a Delaware corp own the aircraft and then hanger it in Europe? 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 7:21pm
Yes. It is operated in Europe under US registration and under US (FAA) law & jurisdiction. For example, work on the aircraft is signed off by an FAA-licenced A&P/AI.

Vince
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:17am
Four months later....
I live myself in Cologne and know that EASA is slow.
But in 2 years without results?
Is there nothing new to report?

Would like to buy a complete IFR Panel for my Bonanza,
but after so much time, I'm afraid I will have no choice than buying Garmin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic