Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 5:55am
Are we into TIA testing yet?  How is the data chain certification progressing? 

Edited by tony - 24 Jun 2014 at 5:55am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 6:53pm
(24 June 2014 Certification Update)

Everything is progressing well.

The FAA has scheduled TIA flight tests for the week of 14 July in Melbourne FL.  That is the same week and location as the DO-200A Compliance Audit.  They are trying to be efficient with their resources and budgets and since they can't issue cert until the DO-200 compliance audit is completed, the conclusion was there was no sense in conducting TIA flight tests at a different time.

Everything the FAA is saying and doing, still points to them approving the cert in time to allow for shipping prior to Oshkosh.  We get it and they get it.  We're quite optimistic.    Not sure there is anything more I can report on prior to the week of 14 July.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:48am
Fingers crossed!
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 8:30pm
With you experience with past products, how long do you think it will take the FAA to compile the data, issue their findings and give you approval on the TSO and STC?  do you already have approval for the AML?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 8:32pm
With your experience with past products, how long do you think it will take the FAA to compile the data, issue their findings and give you approval on the TSO and STC?  Do you already have approval for the AML? When will you pull the trigger on your first production lot and how long will it take to complete the orders?

Edited by tony - 25 Jun 2014 at 8:34pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:29am
We've been coordinating the end-game tightly with the FAA.  They are driving hard to meet a pre-Osh cert.   We'll already pulled the trigger on the first production lot. We expect to be shipping certified units less than 24 hours after getting STC/TSO (and yes, the FAA has agreed to the AML list and process so it will be an AML STC).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 11:52am
Steve,

Does that mean month 1 shipments in  July (Assuming cert before Osh).

I am month 2 and  I am trying to figure out how to coordinate with my shop on install.

Ed

Ed
Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 11:11am
So, last promise I saw was june.  Now it is latter half of July and certainly bu OSH. 

So, this means another promised deadline missed but spun as "progress".

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 11:14am
We were ready for June.   FAA picked July for their audit and flights.  Not sure how that's "spun as progress".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 11:15am
Ed, 

Jared Butson is coordinating shipment dates for the pre-buy folks.   I think he plans to contact Month 1 and 2 people within the next week to start working the logistics.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 12:07pm
OMG, I'm starting to get giddy...... who is Jared Butson ?

Edited by tony - 29 Jun 2014 at 12:07pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 4:26pm
Jared heads up Sales at Avidyne.  The logistics of notifying owners and shipping boxes is a Sales Op so that's all his.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 4:43pm
just wondering, did the pilot program generate any software fixes?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 5:04pm
Yes, it did.  I don't remember the exact count but it was about 8.  And we made a number of Pilot Guide and Install Manual mods based on pilot program input.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 8:59pm
With all my my midwest and east coast flying lately, ADS-B weather has certainly gone way up on my wish list.  I'm concerned about WHEN this capability will be available for the 540.  I know it is not in the initial release, but I have no idea when it will be available considering how many other projects Avidyne has stacked up.  I'm afraid that after the 540/440 are certified, the engineering resources will be diverted to get other projects certified before coming back to adding features.  I've always known I was going to add ADS-B weather so knowing it would be available was a warm and fuzzy, but now I'm wondering if it's going to be another 2-3 years for that capability.  Considering we're starting to plan logistics, I'll need to have an idea of what's going on fairly soon.

Maybe I've missed announcements, but the following statements make me nervous that this capability won't be available for a long time.  Do these statement still stand as current?

"The rest of the Avidyne ADS-B product variant roadmap will not be announced anytime soon."

"No, there is currently no product (remote mount, ADS-B Out transponder) that can work with the IFD540/440.

However, we certainly plan to create just such a device.  We have not announced a time frame yet."
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 7:14am
Well, because Avidyne will be adopting Capstone format for the inputs, then as soon as that is implemented, most solutions (even non-Avidyne) should work.

Garmin is a big exception, it has adopted a proprietary format, you have to have all Garmin for it to work.

* Orest

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 9:57am
The ADSB-out transponder is there, AXP340, for iirc 3995.  What's missing is ADSB-in.  But you can buy a portable receiver that will display both traffic and weather on an Ipad running Foreflight, equipment cost roughly $1500 plus the $74 FF subscription.

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

With all my my midwest and east coast flying lately, ADS-B weather has certainly gone way up on my wish list.  I'm concerned about WHEN this capability will be available for the 540.  I know it is not in the initial release, but I have no idea when it will be available considering how many other projects Avidyne has stacked up.  I'm afraid that after the 540/440 are certified, the engineering resources will be diverted to get other projects certified before coming back to adding features.  I've always known I was going to add ADS-B weather so knowing it would be available was a warm and fuzzy, but now I'm wondering if it's going to be another 2-3 years for that capability.  Considering we're starting to plan logistics, I'll need to have an idea of what's going on fairly soon.

Maybe I've missed announcements, but the following statements make me nervous that this capability won't be available for a long time.  Do these statement still stand as current?

"The rest of the Avidyne ADS-B product variant roadmap will not be announced anytime soon."

"No, there is currently no product (remote mount, ADS-B Out transponder) that can work with the IFD540/440.

However, we certainly plan to create just such a device.  We have not announced a time frame yet."
PH
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Well, because Avidyne will be adopting Capstone format for the inputs, then as soon as that is implemented, most solutions (even non-Avidyne) should work.

Garmin is a big exception, it has adopted a proprietary format, you have to have all Garmin for it to work.

* Orest

As far as I can tell, Capstone only applies to the ADS-B in format, I have yet to see any answers to my question about Avidyne providing GPS data in the standard ADS-B format for other devices such as the NavWorx ADS600-B.  I'd hate to get forced into having to install an AXP340 in order to use the IFD as a GPS source then have to get a receiver to receive ads-b in, and yet another device to display.

Avidyne has mentioned they will have additional ADS-B solutions, but haven't released any information yet.  If the end product isn't going to support my needs at a cost I will pay, I'd like to know that prior to installing my 540.

Edited by brou0040 - 30 Jun 2014 at 12:24pm
Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 1:09pm
So, I see no announcement about making Red Label in June.  What is the status?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:22pm
Reportedly Avidyne started their initial production run last week, and this week the month 1 & month 2 folks are to be expecting a call from sales to finalize the shipping arrangements.

They will start shipping less than 24 hrs from when the final FAA paperwork is inked, which is expected mid-July, and before OSH. The FAA rescheduled the final checks to July, Avidyne was ready for them in June. So it goes.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jul 2014 at 3:24pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:28pm
I spoke with Sales day before yesterday.

He said he would talk to Jake, but that they weren't planning on contacting early recipients this week; they were going to wait awhile.

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 4:13pm
Orest is correct and David's report is news to me so I'll check with Sales - those shipping logistics are a Sales Op.

Yes we have been Red Label for a while, company flight test is done, and we've turned in all our paperwork to the FAA and they've issued TIA.   We're in wait mode looking forward to the week of 14 July which is when the FAA is conducting their TIA flight testing and their DO-200A audit.  We spoke to the FAA folks yesterday confirming their travel plans on Monday the 14th.   More production boxes have piled up in the factory ready for shipping in the meantime.  For better or worse, I've got nothing else to report until those activities are behind us.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:32pm
good luck this week!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 7:36am
Is weather a factor for the FAA testing this week?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 1:46pm
I'm in the Melbourne Florida office now and the week has begun....

The FAA pilot shows up at 0800 Tuesday.   He just shot us a revised set of the test points he wants to fly.  His current plan is one flight on Tues exercising the system and a 2nd flight on Wed focusing on approaches and missed approaches.  The weather forecast looks like it should support morning flights on both days.

The other FAA crew also show up at 0800 on Tuesday to start their 3-day DO-200A compliance audit.  We've been given a preliminary set of findings last Friday and have already started actioning these documentation issues.  We hope to present the completed actions to the audit crew during the opening session Tues am.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ssonixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssonixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

* Orest

As far as I can <FONT color=#000000>tell, Capstone only applies to the ADS-B in format, I have yet to see any answers to my question about Avidyne providing GPS data in the standard ADS-B format for other devices such as the NavWorx <FONT size=2 face=Arial>ADS600-B.  I'd hate to get forced into having to install an AXP340 in order to use the IFD as a GPS source then have to get a receiver to receive ads-b in, and yet another device to display.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

<FONT size=2 face=Arial>[/COLOR] 

<FONT size=2 face=Arial>Avidyne has mentioned they will have additional ADS-B solutions, but haven't released any information yet.  If the end product isn't going to support my needs at a cost I will pay, I'd like to know that prior to installing my 540.[/COLOR]

I was curious about this myself. I have a NAVWorx 600b box available which I wanted to see if I could use it to provide ADSB traffic along with TCAS in a Cirrus while also giving me ADSB weather to the EX5000 MFD.   The answer is no.   Even though Navworx supports capstone interface for traffic and weather, the avidyne rep I spoke to said that there is no support on the EX5000 MFD (yet).   So, that is the situation. Seems the best you might be able to do do is to get traffic over ARINC to the MFD but weather is no go. Best option may just be to a portable for weather.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:02pm
Sorry folks, I can't follow the current line of questioning. 

Can you start a new thread and pose your questions there?    I'll jump on them when I get done with FAA TIA testing in a day or so.

Edited by AviJake - 15 Jul 2014 at 6:02pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:18pm
how did we do today? any issues? any preliminary feedback?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 1:35pm
(16 July 2014 Certification Update)

FAA TIA flight test of the IFD540 is officially done and passed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 2:01pm
Congratulations to the Avidyne Team!
Gary-T
NZFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 2:59pm
Well done Avidyne
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 3:34pm
Fantastic!  Congratulations
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 3:51pm
Wonderful!

Isn't the software audit (DO something or other) the remaining barrier/
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 6:14pm
Outstanding!!!!!!

So, only the  DO-200A audit, which is pretty low risk.

Wow.

* Orest

jimelliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 10:16pm
Very well earned congratulations!
Jim Elliott
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:29am
Great news! I have several empty racks waiting to be filled.... Bring it on!
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 8:54am
Excellent! Congratulations.  Oh the anticipation! 
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 11:12am
Finally an alternative to Garmin?
velox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:50pm
It has been a looooog 2 years for me.
My Baron is sitting for a couple of months with an empty 530W case waiting for this event.
The good news is I sold my Garmin, before the prices drop!
I really like the Garmin products, but feel what Avidyne did with the ID540 will be great for general aviation.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 5:06pm
(17 July 2014 IFD540 Certification Update)

The DO-200A audit is complete.   We picked up two documentation findings that will be addressed by tomorrow and into the FAA's hands no later than Monday 21 July.   They know the exact documentation changes being made and agree that they fully address the two findings.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

(17 July 2014 IFD540 Certification Update)

The DO-200A audit is complete.   We picked up two documentation findings that will be addressed by tomorrow and into the FAA's hands no later than Monday 21 July.   They know the exact documentation changes being made and agree that they fully address the two findings.

so that's it right?
It's all done?
This Monday is THE day ??
Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 7:26pm
Tim,

Almost, but not quite.   The FAA is just crunching through the rest of the documentation for their signoff.    They have everything and as of Monday, will have no more outstanding action item data.  It could be Monday, it could be Thursday.  It depends on how fast they can churn through the rest of the data.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 8:34pm
Steve, thank you and congratulations to the team.  Well done.  
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 9:16pm
This is going to be close. Oshkosh 2014 starts the 28th. I can't stand the suspense. Will it be certified or not?

I guess It's time to call the radio shop and start pissing him off instead of Steve. On another note, anyone interested in a slightly broken in Garmin 430W? Sorry, no tray.

DV
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 9:18pm
It'll be certified prior to Oshkosh.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 10:30pm
Long road.

Congrats, Steve.

You ARE the man.
David Gates
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 10:39pm
Good job, Gents.
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 7:47am
Outstanding news...looking forward to hearing from the sales folk about next steps for shipping...

Thanks Steve
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 8:26am
Big congrats from me too,
Now show us the box! And when do you expect the IFD 440 be ready?
I need to book in some firm dates with my avionics guys. Please let me know.
Cheers
Andy
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 10:56am
That is GREAT news!   I know that you guys had a bit of a tough OSH, in the booth,  last year.  If you have that FAA signature,  your OSH is going to be MUCH MUCH better!

Congrats, guys!

Also, I don't have to hear from my buds around the camp, about it not being certified, yet!!
Ken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic