Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 2:16pm
Thanks folks.  Not willing to spike the ball until TSO/STC in hand but we *should* be 5ish days from that.

Plan on the 440 being 6 months in trail.  It might be sooner but I wouldn't plan on it.  I've  transitioned to full-time flight test of that unit and it's doing great.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
rumbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rumbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 4:21pm
Congrats to the whole team.
I hope everyone has a well deserved weekend off.

Then, on Monday, can we start a IFD440 Certification Status forum :)
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 9:32pm
Congratulations, Steve!  Wish I was going to make it to OSH this year so I could say so in person.  And I see you have good news on the R9 SynVis as well.  You guys should have a great show! :-)
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 2:41am
Well done, Steve and team!  I'm really looking forward to certification so that I can wave the news in front of my friends who called the IFD540 "vaporware" and thought I was a fool for investing early!

Mike
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:36pm
Were the corrective actions to the two DO-200A findings accepted by the ACO?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:40pm
Yes.   The Type 2 LOA letter has been issued to Avidyne.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:43pm
so there is noting left to do at this point but wait? :)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:46pm
We wait until the FAA has an issue and then we pounce on it.  There have been three such firedrills in the past 30 hours - all of which have been resolved to the FAA satisfaction.  We just got another one 4 hours ago and it is being worked tonight.   This is par for the course.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:19pm
Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock....... Steve, I'm starting to think your sandbagging us. Does Avidyne want to announce certification at Oshkosh? You can tell us, we won't tell a sole. Seriously, Steve.
DV
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:53pm
Avidyne just received TSO/STC approval for the IFD540.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:18pm
Congrats.  Long haul, sure you are glad that's done.

Now waiting for call about shipments.

You need a vacation before the 440 and Aviservos.

David Gates
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 4:00pm
Great news!!  Can't wait to get that baby installed.  Already have a buyer for my 530W so I'm excited.

Nice work.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 4:08pm

Time to close this thread permanently!

Congrats Jake!

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 4:24pm
We are NOW in the "post IFD540 certification period". 

Everything will be different!

* Orest

1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:09pm

Congrats long time in coming but we are here.

Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 8:20pm
Congradulations Steve, your hard work and perseverance has paid off.
DV
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:08am
Congratulations!!!  Kudos to the whole team.  I hope the openness doesn't change with the certification and as a group we can continue to improve the IFD540 with our field reports. 
EgnosGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EgnosGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 2:04am
Hi all.

I saw your press release: congratulations for the certification of the IFD540.

I hope to see it in Europe soon.

By the way, how was it about at Oshkosh?

Regards,

--
Emilio
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 8:04pm
I hear via my grapevine that shipments have been curtailed pending a problem with the new units?

How long, and what effect will this have on future deliveries?
PH
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 8:53pm
interesting.... I am in the second production lot and I was told that I shouldn't expect delivery until the middle of October.  that was last week. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 9:43pm
Tony -- By "second production lot", do you mean "month 2" ?

* Orest

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 3:38am
Originally posted by phkmn phkmn wrote:

I hear via my grapevine that shipments have been curtailed pending a problem with the new units?

How long, and what effect will this have on future deliveries?

Oh No!!  Say it ain't so!!

I spoke with the Avidyne folks at Oshkosh and was told that production would be split down the middle such that half of all new units would go to toward the pre-orders, and the other half would go to immediate retail sales.  I'm supposedly in Month 3 and we were all told on here that they may beat those estimates.  However, if there is a problem with production...
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 6:13am

Orest, yes the second production lot, which is the same as the second month of production.  I believe the name of the guy I spoke was Brian Oliver.  I think he was their production guy. 

If you think about it, the timing is about right.  The first production month is aug, then the second production month is sept.  After they build it, they have to do an Environmental Stress Screening (ESS) test, and then perform a complete functional test, pack and ship it.  I'd be willing to bet that the functional test isn't automated because of the human interaction that has to occur.  I can see that talking a few weeks.

The production schedule, although a disappointment, isn't that big a deal in the bigger picture.  If I have to wait an extra 30 days for a quality unit, I don't mind.  The big issue is the 28 day cycle.  I'm going to be living with that for the life on the unit.  I really hope Avidyne will make the interface open.  I think the reason most of us are here is because we detest the way Garmin has a taken advantage of their customers by having a closed system.  If you have Garmin, you have to have Garmin.  I understand the business model but I don't like it. 

I want to exercise my freedom of choice and let the market forces drive success. 

There may be a certification issue I don't understand, but I really do hope Avidyne allows competition with Jepp. 

Edited by tony - 06 Aug 2014 at 6:33am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 7:39am
+1

Vince
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 9:00am
I can think of three issues with allowing other companies to produce charts and plates for the IFD.

One is certification.  If you buy a download from Joe's Bar & Grill and Charts and Plates are you legal to fly IFR approaches?  Who said the data is good and how was it tested?

Another is financial.  I think Jepp gives Avidyne money whenever they sell an IFD subscription.  This revenue stream is part of Avidyne's financial model.  If they didn't get it they would have to charge IFD owners somehow to make up the difference.

Another is contractual.  I don't know if the contract with Jepp has limits on what they can do that competes.

I'm sure Seattle would like to be able to sell charts for a certified GPS but by the time they overcame the hurdles I don't know if they would be much less expensive.

(Nature abhors a vacuum and fills it with speculation.  Steve, feel free to chime in and correct my musings.)

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
Quote Orest, yes the second production lot, which is the same as the second month of production.  I believe the name of the guy I spoke was Brian Oliver.  I think he was their production guy.  ...

Hmm, so Christmas for me (month 4), maybe!  

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Aug 2014 at 9:28am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 10:13am
I'm still out of the office on vacation until Monday, 11 Aug so I'll have to check with the factory guys but what I do know is:

The factory has shipped all units they had built up and ready for distribution.

The factory is taking a very slow and deliberate approach to building up, testing, and declaring ready for distribution additional units.   We want to be very careful we don't trip ourselves up during the initial delivery ramp up.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 4:00pm

Has anyone in month 1 received a call and/or notification?

I'm just curious as I'm a month 1 slot and I have not.

Old Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 4:42pm
Nothing!
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 9:31pm
that's disturbing.....  Maybe when Steve comes back from vacation he can enlighten us. 
whiskykilo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 6:36am
Is there any expectation when you reach EASA Certification ?
EASA registered Beech Bonanza F33A located in EDKB Hangelar/Germany, Aspen 1000 EFD, 2 x IFD540
etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 8:12am
I have a first month delivery.  I received a call from Brian on 7/29 saying my order would ship in the next couple days.  I called back for status on 8/1.  Brian was nice enough to return my call from Oshkosh, but he had bad news about the unit being held for further testing on a board.  He told me it would ship this week.  I called him again yesterday, and he told me it would be another week.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 9:53am
So, there you go, some production jitters. The rumor upthread may have been spot on.

But, now is the time to fix this. What's another week or two.

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 10:12am

Ok, I spoke with them at KOSH last week as I had to collect my dividend payment from them in the form of beer and brats. Based on my positioned I was told to expect to hear something in a week or two after the show, but was surprised by Steve's comment about the initial batch being shipped already. I also was told that the shipment date discussed on the phone will be after it actually shows up at the avionics shop by maybe up to one week to prevent any airplanes going in the shop prior the unit arriving.

I think there's little confusion right now, so I'll hold tight.

Edited by roltman - 08 Aug 2014 at 10:13am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:22am
I perceive a significant degree of confusion on this, and there is no doubt that we are seeing dual messaging.

David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I'm still out of the office on vacation until Monday, 11 Aug so I'll have to check with the factory guys....

So...any word on when the next batch might be ready to go, and whether pre-buy customers should still expect deliveries in (or before) the months specified in their contracts?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:20pm
I *think* we'll be back to shipping the next set by the end of next week.   We've been working on automating a lot of factory testing and *should* be done by then.  I'll make a post as soon as that happens.

We'll go slow for the first few weeks but expect to be caught up in month 2.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:29pm
Wondering how deliveries are going?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:53pm
From what has been communicated to me there hasn't been any!
David Gates
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 3:41am
I am in month three and Friday I was told I'm about four months out. This came straight from avidyne sales.
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:38am
I am month 2 and told "at current rates" to expect my box at end of September/early October...I'm hopeful but not confident.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:11am
I'm in month 1 and no one has contacted me. I am going to call today and report back what I learn (if anything).
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 12:03pm
roltman -- I'm very interested to hear what they say.

I'm in month 3, but all I have is a piece of paper from two years ago.  My address has changed since then, but I'm 90% sure I updated that with somebody at Avidyne last year.  My e-mail hasn't changed.  I just don't have a confirmation that I'm on the list.  I just have a copy of the contract that the salesperson e-mailed me way back when.

I have a whole lot of Garmin fanboy friends who are constantly ridiculing me for waiting so long and tying up my $$ for all this time for the Avidyne unit that may never be seen.  I am waiting for the day when I can unveil my new panel and leave them speechless.  I'm really hoping that it happens by the end of the year.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 12:41pm
I'm month 4, called today and spoke to Brian.

He said that some units have started shipping this week, and that he expects that they will now meet their schedule sequence, going forward. He also confirmed the slower start up than expected due to manufacturing process issues. If so, that would make my ship date early December. Allowing for the Holiday period, at the earliest now, I wouldn't expect my unit to be actually installed until next year.

He said to give him a call in 30 days for an update. Hopefully they can speed things up.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Sep 2014 at 12:46pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:57pm
I think that's close to reality.

Month 1 = 15 Aug - 15 Sep
Month 2 = 16 Sep - 15 Oct
Month 3 = 16 Oct - 15 Nov
Month 4 = 16 Nov - 15 Dec

We will be motivated to make those slots for revenue generation issues to slippage past  the holiday is possible due to any unknown unknowns that might pop up but that is not likely.  (I realize you used "installation" not "shipping" so that's a reasonable assumption on your part).

We restarted shipments last week after we made those manufacturing process improvements.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:23pm

Called as promised. Spoke to Brian, he knew my name from shipping details, and said Tina will contact me tomorrow with the firm details, but it's supposed to ship next week. 

If they really rush it and my shop gets by early next week, I can wrap the downtime around a business trip and save a lot $$$$ in the process.

Steve, if you can, be nice to Tina for me :)

Everyone else, I'll keep you posted on the process.

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:58pm

Steve thanks!  Got the call a day early, spoke with Tina.  My unit will ship Sept 8th for Sept 10th Arrival.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:17pm
You lucky dog.

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:29pm

Confirmed to go in the shop on Sept 12th on my way to a week long business trip and will pick it up on the 19th.

I'll post a real picture that weekend if all goes as planned as I'll have a 600nm flight back from my avionics shop on 19th to fiddle with it.

Just ordered a PMA450 to replace my GMA340.  After talking with PSEngineering, the PMA450 has two configurable channels that can be wired as MON1 and MON2 for the standby channels on the 540s.

Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 6:30pm
Steve,

Can you advise when international shipments will start?

Victor
Mooney M20J
Australia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic