Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration setting for Aspen EFD to IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdojr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Configuration setting for Aspen EFD to IFD540
    Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 6:15pm
I am looking for help in setting up the configuration settings to enable an Aspen EFD to send wind info to a IFD540. Currently the Aspen and IFD "talk" to each other via 429 communications. The IFD sends route and traffic info to the Aspen.
I would like the IFD to receive wind info in order to have more accurate fuel rings.
Thanks.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:34am
I'm not sure that the IFD uses the wind info for the range-ring calculation-- I think it's based only on GPS groundspeed. The wind data is super useful, but, at least for me, I don't use it much on the IFD since it's already displayed on the PFD. The big win you'll get from bringing Aspen air data to the IFD will be auto-sequencing of missed approach legs that require baro altitude.

In my plane, which has an ACU1, we had to do some wiring trickery to get the air data from the Aspen back to the IFD-- it wasn't just a matter of configuration. I've been looking for the thread here that talks about what has to be done, but I haven't found it yet.
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:41am
Paul,
You likely had to bypass the ACU to get the labels back into the IFD that the ACU, for some reason, strips out of the 429 stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAJ7t8ohVhQ&t=1000s

Edited by MikeS - 18 Jan 2022 at 9:42am
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by jdojr jdojr wrote:

I am looking for help in setting up the configuration settings to enable an Aspen EFD to send wind info to a IFD540. Currently the Aspen and IFD "talk" to each other via 429 communications. The IFD sends route and traffic info to the Aspen.
I would like the IFD to receive wind info in order to have more accurate fuel rings.
Thanks.

First of all, that should have been verified in the ground checkout on the installation.
If wired correctly, the Aspen MAX should have 429 IN PORT 1: GPS1 on NAV SET UP B page.
NAV SET UP C page 429 IN PORTS XXX SPEED should match IFD 540  "Main ARINC 429 Config" Out (1 or 2) speed column.
EFD NAV SET UP C - 429 OUT PORT SPEED should match IFD 540 In speed column for the appropriate port.

IFD 540 "Main ARINC 429 Config" page should have "Honeywell EFIS" set in the DATA column for the "In" signal from the Aspen, and "GAMA 429 Graphics w/Int" for the "Out" signal.

That should suffice. I also have Aspen RS232 OUT PORT 3: ADC TYPE 1 connected to IFD 540 Main RS232 Config CHNL3 Input "Shadin-adc". This is likely not needed.

You really need to be looking at your schematics and Install Manuals to be certain.

If the above checks out and your AUX->Util->Calculators->Wind calculator doesn't display the correct altitude when powered up on the ground, you may have a bad connection. If it does display, then you should get winds computed on both Aspen & IFD540.

I use both wind indicators: Aspen is set up with mph due to the AFM of the airframe. IFD is configured to display Kts for PIREPS.

Edited by skitheo - 29 Jan 2022 at 3:53pm
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 6:54am
@jdodr Do you have an ACU? Because if you do, it doesn't pass air data from the Aspen to the IFD, you will need to bypass it with 2 wires (ie connect both the ACU and the IFD to pins 26/27 on the EFD1000. That will then give the IFD TAS which it can use to calculate wind. Tell your installer to check footnote 2 on figure 9-28A in the Aspen Install Manual,

If you have an ACU2, it should pass through TAS. If you don't have an ACU, it should also be passed to the IFD. In either of these cases I would suspect a settings incompatibility between Aspen and IFD, such as 2 different speeds set.

An ACU2 doesn't pass the heading bug to the IDF. If you want that displayed, you need to do the same bypass as with the regular ACU.

Edited by jhbehrens - 04 Feb 2022 at 6:56am
jdojr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdojr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 6:01pm
Thank you guys.  That's just the info that I was looking for.  This really helps.
Dean Ousley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic