Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 and STEC 3100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbspeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 and STEC 3100
    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 6:26pm
I have an IFD540 installed in my Cessna 182 for the last few years and recently added an STEC3100 Autopilot. 

I have been unable to get the autopilot to properly intercept or track a VOR radial, however it will do RNAV and localizer just fine. Stec has not been able to help. 

Are you aware of any IFD540 settings that may cause this or of any known issues? My nav display is a Garmin GI106B.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by pbspeer pbspeer wrote:

I have an IFD540 installed in my Cessna 182 for the last few years and recently added an STEC3100 Autopilot. 

I have been unable to get the autopilot to properly intercept or track a VOR radial, however it will do RNAV and localizer just fine. Stec has not been able to help. 

Are you aware of any IFD540 settings that may cause this or of any known issues? My nav display is a Garmin GI106B.
Did you switch the nav source on the IFD to VLOC?  Other than that, it's difficult to diagnose with limited info.  I'd suggest a call to tech support.  They'll probably need to know how your aircraft is wired and how the IFD is configured.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Rallylancer122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 11:15pm
What software are you running on the 3100?  If it's 1.4 you'll need the Arinc 429 Nav outputs interfaced in addition to the analog interface.   This wasn't necessarily required on previous software versions and it's supposed to work without it but it doesn't.   (Ask me how I know this...STECs documentation is, well, challenging. ) 

You also may want to double check the port speeds.   You can't check or change the STEC without their dealer only software but you can check the Avidyne side easy enough.   There's only HIGH and LOW so you might just switch the Nav channel speed and see what it does. It's easy for these to get screwed up during software updates, both the 3100 and the IFD. 
pbspeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbspeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 2:20pm
Thank you Steve. Unit is in VLOC mode. I'm working with Bruce in tech support now. Hopefully can get this figured out.
pbspeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbspeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 2:22pm
Thanks Rallylancer122,
Yes its 1.4 and we do have arinc 429 and analog input wired. Will check the speed, but I believe they are both set on "high".

wvashaw@comcast.ney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wvashaw@comcast.ney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 9:22am

I have a IFD540 with 2 G5’s ATI & HSI and a Stec 3100 two-axis autopilot with altitude pre-select. Most functions work, but the autopilot cannot track a VOR course. Is Avidyne aware of this issue?

Before we installed the G5 we used to have a Bendix/King KI-525A HSI. We replaced it with 2 5’s, a GAD29A and GAD 13. All other autopilot modes work well: heading mode, GPSS roll steering, NAV mode on GPS courses, NAV mode on GPS OBS mode, APR mode on ILS (with both LOC and GS tracking), REV mode for the LOC BC, APR mode on GPS (both lateral modes and modes with vertical guidance, such as LPV with GP tracking). The only mode that does not work is NAV mode tracking a VOR course. Note that the G5 HSI displays the selected VOR course and the course deviation correctly, but the autopilot is not receiving the course deviation signal.  I have the new 1.4 software version for the 3100 and even if there is no flight plan in the IFD that does not solve the problem. The 3100 still will not track a VOR course!

Is there any solution to this?

Woody

Woody
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic