Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 User Manuals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 User Manuals
    Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 5:52pm

Can (Will) Avidyne offer owners installation and users manual for the 540 before they are shipped.

It would be nice to study and learn the unit.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 7:38pm
Hi Leonard,

The answer to your question is "technically yes, but it will be very, very close to actual product release."  I intend to do the same thing I did with the DFC90 in that I'll put up a draft pilot guide some time shortly before certification.    It will be draft because the FAA or the Pilot Program participants might find something needing updating.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
Steve, any chance we can get a prelim copy to start studying any time soon?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:29pm
Sorry Tony, it's not ready for release yet.  We'll definitely release it prior to product launch but we're not quite ready yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 10:54am
If a manual is not available, it would be nice to have some video of the unit in operation.  Can someone point me to what's available?
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:00pm
What few videos there are right now can be found along the right-hand column of this page:

As the marketing crew generate more videos, they will provide the links there.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
RES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 9:59am
I have a two part question- I currently have GTX 330 mode S which should give me traffic alerts on the IDF 540 ?
I also have a GDL 88 datalink which can display ADS-B traffic targets using TIS-A symbology as well as subscription free FIS-B weather--- so will I be able to do this on the IDF 540 upon initial release?
RS
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 10:38am
As I understand it, Mode S (TIS-A) traffic supplied on an ARINC 429 link, should appear just like it does on a 430/530.

However, the Garmin ADS-B units use proprietary formats for TIS-B & FIS-B, and for a variety of reasons will not work with the IFD540, or any other non-Garmin device. In particular, a GDL-88 will not accept the WAAS position supplied by an IFD540.

Avidyne and ASPEN (and by extension perhaps B-K) have said publicly that they will be using the public domain CAPSTONE format for ADS-B, so all their devices will likely play nicely.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Jan 2014 at 10:39am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 1:06pm
As usual, Orest is correct.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 10:12am
Hi Steve,

Would there be any chance to get a draft copy of the AFMS before the IFD540 is certified? I'm looking for the content that indicates specific support for PRNAV and includes compliance statements re AC-90-105, AC-90-100A, JAA TGL-10 Rev 1, etc, all of which is in the 530W AFMS since the 5.03 software update. This is needed for the IFD540 to be 530W plug-and-play in Europe, even in a US-registered aircraft. Can you confirm that this requirement is met?

I can provide a copy of the Garmin AFMS if needed to show what I mean.

Regards,

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 10:19am
Hi Vince,

Yes, but.....

1.  I can supply a draft version of the AFMS prior to cert however, this is the one doc (unlike the Pilot Guide) where the FAA has very specific input and sign off authority on the doc and they have almost always, waited until the very last minute to furnish and sign off on that data.  So, while technically I can post a draft copy prior to cert, it may not have a lot of lead time.

2.  We believe we are fully compliant with those ACs and JAA but it can't hurt to take you up on your offer of highlighting the specific clauses you are concerned about.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic