Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Splitting RS232?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog486 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splitting RS232?
    Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 9:53am
Is it acceptable to split one RS232 output to two separate systems? I'm using a Dynon HDX system with the IFD440 and a G5 as an attitude backup. I'd like to get horizontal course guidance from the G5 without adding a GAD box but the Skyview system is using Aviation Format RS232 from the Avidyne.

According to the Avidyne install manual : 

Aviation, Aviation No Altitude, and MapMx output types can only be configured on one RS232 transmit port.

I believe I need to send the G5 Either Aviation or MapMx to get any kind of guidance.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:08am
From revision 17 of the IFD5XX/4XX Installation Manual:

The following RS232 Output protocols may be configured on two or more RS232 ports: Aviation, Aviation No Altitude, ADS-B (avi), HW EGPWS, and MapMx.

Originally (before IFD software 10.2), I know Aviation format data could only configured on one RS232 port. At that time, my installer had my Aviation format data RS232 spilt to serve three users. Today, I still have two Aviation format data users on a single Aviation RS232 port. That wouldn't have been necessary starting with IFD software 10.2 unless I was running out of RS232 output ports.

Revision 17 is not the latest install manual; however, I wouldn't think this information would change.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by birddog486 birddog486 wrote:

Aviation, Aviation No Altitude, and MapMx output types can only be configured on one RS232 transmit port.

I believe I need to send the G5 Either Aviation or MapMx to get any kind of guidance.

I know the G5 install manual says you can run 2 G5s off the same serial port, also I seem to recall Garmin states that you are to use MapMX to the G5 even though there is a configuration option to accept aviation format on the G5.

Not sure what the difference is but I used what they called for.
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:19pm
RS232 protocol can support up to three connections. 
This is the transmit, or OUT line ONLY from the source, in other words the transmit data will be same that is sent to all the connections. 
A single RS232 INPUT cannot be connected to more than one source. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic