Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upcoming changes to Jeppesen JDM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming changes to Jeppesen JDM
    Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:28pm
If you've used Jeppesen's JDM tool, you probably know about the "count" associated with your subscription.  That count gets decremented every time you download the data.  If the count gets to zero and you need to download again (maybe you lost the USB stick or something), then you have to call Jeppesen to get them to reset that count.

We've been working with Jeppesen to eliminate the count.  Thus, you will be able to download as many times as necessary.  However, for that to work, you'll have to make sure that your Jeppesen account has the correct aircraft tail number associated with it.  The tail number in JDM and the tail number in the IFD must match *exactly*.  There can be no dashes, underscores, or spaces in the tail number.

The new version of JDM is not available yet and I don't have a timeframe for you.  Just thought it would be worth a heads-up for everyone to get prepared for that change.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
pmilanez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmilanez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:49am
Hi Steve, thanks for heads up.

My currently Jeppesen subscription has an alternative tail number since the last owner had registered with the current tail number and never gave me the user and password. Based on that, I cannot change it. Is this somehow block my update process or just the endless count feature?

Thanks
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by pmilanez pmilanez wrote:

My currently Jeppesen subscription has an alternative tail number since the last owner had registered with the current tail number and never gave me the user and password. Based on that, I cannot change it. Is this somehow block my update process or just the endless count feature?
If there's some reason that we can't get the tail numbers to match up, the subscription will continue to use the count.

I don't quite understand your situation, though, so if you want to email me the details, we can work together with Jeppesen to straighten it out.  slindsley at avidyne dot com
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 10:52pm
**IMPORTANT**

The intent of this activity to harmonize JDM with the IFD.  Do not change the tail number in the IFD.  If you do that, the IFD will disable the paid options (e.g. SVS, 16W radio, etc.).  If you find yourself in that situation, just change the tail number back to what it was in the first place and the paid options will once again be enabled.

Most non-US registered aircraft have a dash in the tail number.  However, JDM doesn't allow dashes in the associated tail number.  Although there is no requirement that the IFD tail number include the dash, many of them do.  So if that's your situation, don't do anything at this point.  Jeppesen is evaluating the impact of changing their system to allow the dash.

Sorry all of that wasn't clear in the original post.  Thanks to a forum user for sending me a PM raising this potential issue.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic