Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD100 Weather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeGeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD100 Weather
    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 9:39am
For posterity in case others have the same question:

If you want to have ADS-B weather shown on your IFD100, you need to have "ADS-B Forwarding" turned on in your Settings.  Weather will show up graphically on the map but as text on the Info page.

Hat tip to Steve (AviSteve)!

...can't keep my eyes from the circling skies...
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by GeeGeeBee GeeGeeBee wrote:

For posterity in case others have the same question:

If you want to have ADS-B weather shown on your IFD100, you need to have "ADS-B Forwarding" turned on in your Settings.  Weather will show up graphically on the map but as text on the Info page.

Hat tip to Steve (AviSteve)!

For clarity; are you referring to the IFD100 settings "WiFi ADS-B Support" toggle? 

As I understand it, that toggle needs to be "on" only if your panel IFD is not directly connected to a ADS-B weather receiver (i.e. SkyTrax100 / 100B / 200, Lynx, etc.), your panel IFD and IFD100 are WiFi clients of the same network host (i.e. WiFi connected to a Stratus 3, Stratux, etc.), and you wish for ADS-B weather from the WiFi connected host to appear on the IFD100.

This brings up a tech question for upcoming IFD software 10.3; how will this situation be handled? Will the IFD100 lose this toggle and have to get everything directly through the panel IFD since the panel IFD will gain the ability to display traffic and weather from a WiFi host? Will the panel IFD and IFD100 each display traffic and weather from a WiFi host ADS-B feed independently?

GeeGeeBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeGeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 1:39pm
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  It's the "ADS-B Forwarding" setting in the IFD panel mount, not the app.
...can't keep my eyes from the circling skies...
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

This brings up a tech question for upcoming IFD software 10.3; how will this situation be handled? Will the IFD100 lose this toggle and have to get everything directly through the panel IFD since the panel IFD will gain the ability to display traffic and weather from a WiFi host? Will the panel IFD and IFD100 each display traffic and weather from a WiFi host ADS-B feed independently?
In 10.3, the "ADS-B Forwarding" setting on the setup page will be renamed to "ADS-B Over WiFi", but the function remains the same.  That is, to send wired ADS-B information over the WiFi.

If you configure the IFD to receive ADS-B data over WiFi (which will be done via maintenance mode), then the "ADS-B Over WiFi" setup page setting will not be shown.  In that configuration, both the panel mount IFD and the IFD100 must connect to the Stratus and the IFD100 "WiFi ADS-B Support" setting must be enabled.  Then, both the panel mount IFD and the IFD100 will receive the ADS-B stream from the Stratus.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

In 10.3, the "ADS-B Forwarding" setting on the setup page will be renamed to "ADS-B Over WiFi", but the function remains the same.  That is, to send wired ADS-B information over the WiFi.

If you configure the IFD to receive ADS-B data over WiFi (which will be done via maintenance mode), then the "ADS-B Over WiFi" setup page setting will not be shown.  In that configuration, both the panel mount IFD and the IFD100 must connect to the Stratus and the IFD100 "WiFi ADS-B Support" setting must be enabled.  Then, both the panel mount IFD and the IFD100 will receive the ADS-B stream from the Stratus.
Thanks! 

In looking at recent screenshots of my user options, I see that ADSB-Forwarding On/Off is now an option under AUX - SETUP - User Options (currently IFD s/w 10.2.6.1) and is customizable on a per user basis. It appears to have defaulted to "On" for each user on my panel IFD. I clearly hadn't noticed it become a user option; apparently after one of the more recent IFD s/w updates. Thanks for letting us know what this option does since it is too new to be included in the current IFD PG.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 6:04am
Aha! So that's why I can't find it on my IFD (10.2.3.1) or in the PG!

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic