Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Hold When "Direct To" a Waypoint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Hold When "Direct To" a Waypoint
    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:37am
Friends - I could use some help. I apologize in advance for the somewhat long post. Here's the scenario:

Yesterday I took off from KCMA. My CFII said, "I want you to go to FIM direct." So, I hit the "Direct To" button on the IFD540, type in FIM, and activate. So far, so good. Then my CFII says, "I want you to hold on the FIM 060 radial, right turns." So I try to go into FMS->Routes to add the hold. No joy. The only route there is the magenta current route, and it won't open. So then I go back to the map page, and touch the cursor below the FIM data block on the right side of the screen. It gives me the option of adding a hold, and I touch that option. Then it gives me three locations for the hold (IIRC, South, Northwest (1.0 miles) and Northwest (1.5 miles). I touch South, and the IFD inserts the hold but, at least on the map page, I cannot edit the hold to 060. So I go back to FMS->Routes, and try to edit the hold there. The only route is the "Current Route," and the IFD won't allow me to open the route to edit the hold.

When I got home later in the day, I played around with the IFD trainer and found this combination of buttonology allowed me to edit the hold:

1. Enter “Direct To” mode. Type FIM into the box and hit activate.
2. Go into FMS->Route. The current route (magenta) will show FIM-FIM. Highlight that route.
3. On the lower left, one of the soft keys is “Copy.” Touch “copy.” That creates a copy of the flight plan in the flight plan list.
4. It opens up the route list of waypoints, which is only FIM.
5. Touch below FIM, and you get the option of adding a hold. Add the hold…south in this example.
7. The default hold populates the options. You can then edit the hold.
8. Go back to “Route List,” and activate the new route.

This seems like a lot of button-pushing for what should be a relatively simple task for the IFD. Is this the best/only way to accomplish what I wanted to do (add a hold while on a "Direct To" route), or is there a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks, everyone!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 2:09pm
As far as I can tell, the FMS-FPL hold over FIM should have been fully editable until crossing FIM and starting the hold entry. After that point, changes to the hold would require modifying the hold parameters then re-reselecting direct FIM or vice versa. There should be no need to have to copy, edit, and then activate copied route to accomplish this. 

Edited by dmtidler - 26 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm
SoCalIFDpilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 2:12pm
With some more trial-and-error, I found an easier way to do this...

"Cessna 1234AB, fly direct FIM and hold on the 060 radial, right turns."

1. Open FPL tab in FMS.
2. Hit "Direct To" button
3. Type in FIM
4. Place cursor below FIM
5. Insert hold
6. Edit hold

The problem I was having was using the "Direct To" button while on the map page. If I switch to the FPL page, then I'm able to insert the hold and edit it according to ATC's instructions.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 2:21pm
The ROUTES tab is used to manage and edit stored routes.  As you found, the FPL tab is where you edit the flight plan (a.k.a. the "active route") to which the IFD will provide guidance.

When you do -D-> from the map, the FMS FPL tab will be displayed, but "split" with the map on the left and the flight plan legs in a narrowed format on the right.  You cannot edit the hold in this view.  To get to the full FPL layout, touch the "FPL" tab that is displayed sideways along the border between the map and the flight plan legs.  Or, you can hold down the left side of the FMS button to accomplish the same thing.  Once you can see the entire leg, you can move the cursor to the leg length, inbound course, and turn direction fields for the hold in order to edit those parameters.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

... When you do -D-> from the map, the FMS FPL tab will be displayed, but "split" with the map on the left and the flight plan legs in a narrowed format on the right.  You cannot edit the hold in this view.  To get to the full FPL layout, touch the "FPL" tab that is displayed sideways along the border between the map and the flight plan legs.  Or, you can hold down the left side of the FMS button to accomplish the same thing.  Once you can see the entire leg, you can move the cursor to the leg length, inbound course, and turn direction fields for the hold in order to edit those parameters.

Steve,
I and possibly countless others have learned this very straightforward lesson over time.  Thank you for giving the OP the straight scoop on how/where to edit the FPL.

Many of us try to translate smartphone or tablet user interface of "If I can see it, then I can edit it." to the absolutely well designed and functional interface of the IFD series of FMS's.  We quickly need to learn the proper way to make the IFD do our bidding.  I find myself just keeping the FPL page up for much of my flight time, either on my IFD540 or my IFD100.

Thank you to the engineering and support team at Avidyne.

Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 10:27am
I ran into this problem during an IPC earlier this year. I went home and played with the trainer app and figured it out, then sent my CFI a video explaining what I learned.

In case anyone is interested, it's at https://youtu.be/iwlYrFGLWqM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic