Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting EDM 900 to an IFD 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting EDM 900 to an IFD 540
    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 4:39pm
I recently installed an EDM 900 in my 172 along with Cíes fuel senders. I had my avionics shop “connect” the EDM to my 540 to get fuel flow info. I’m still not showing fuel information. When the 540 boots up, the first screen is a fuel management page with fields for fuel added and fuel remaining. This has always appeared since the 540 was installed a couple of years ago. Is there something The avionics shop or I have to turn on for the fuel info to be displayed? Also, what needs to be turned on to receive wind info on the 540? I have Aspen MAX PFD & MFD’s and a Garmin (sorry!) 345 transponder for ADSB-in and out. Thanks for any help.

Robert
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:30pm
Just saw this. As a matter of fact, in the process of doing a ground checkout for a client, I saw the same behavior with EDM-930 + IFD540 + Aspen 2500 MAX + NGT-9000 + CiES in a 172.

Fuel Solution: Your RS-232 IN port on the IFD540 which is connected to the EDM-900 must be set to "Shadin-FADC" NOT "Shadin-fuel" . This info is buried in one of the install manuals and can easily be missed.

Winds solution: Your IFD540 needs OAT, Baro, IAS to calculate winds. I believe that data comes from the Aspen over ARINC 429. The IFD540 "Main ARINC 429 Config" page should have one of the IN ports configured to "Honeywell EFIS"  and "Low" or "HIgh" speed, to match the Aspen "Nav Setup C" configuration page "429 OUT PORT SPEED" setting unless you have an ACU2 (advanced topic).

If this doesn't do it, check the Aspen "MISC CONFIG D" configuration page for to ensure that the "OAT Source" setting is correct for your aircraft.

Per the IFD installation manual:
Baro-corrected Altitude Sources
The IFD5XX/4XX can accept baro-corrected altitude from multiple sources. The
IFD5XX/4XX can accept Altitude information from altitude Air Data Systems in the
following formats: ARINC 429 or RS232. If multiple altitude sources are connected to the
IFD5XX/4XX, the IFD5XX/4XX will use the altitude sources in this order (highest first):
1. ARINC 429 INS/IRU
2. ARINC 429 EFIS <-------
3. ARINC from Transponder
4. RS232 FADC

Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 1:13am
Thank you, Skitheo! I’ll show this to my avionics shop later this morning.

Robert
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:41pm
@Robert114 - Did that take care of your problems?
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:07pm
Theo, between bad weather and scheduling, I haven’t been able to get to the avionics shop to find out. However, when I cut and pasted your response above to the owner, his answer was “At least he didn’t call me an idiot!” I’m assuming that meant your solution will work. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Robert
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:09pm
Thanks!
Hey, if someone else can learn and/or benefit from my experiences, great! Please do keep me posted.
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 10:36pm
Well, the weather and scheduling issues finally cleared and I took the plane to the Avionics shop. Unfortunately, setting the fuel to “SHADIN-FADC” didn’t solve the fuel problem. All the other settings were correct. Likewise, no joy with the wind info. I’m not overly concerned about the wind info since I display a wind vector and speed on the Aspen. However, I will pursue the the fuel info display with Avidyne (hello Avisteve?) to see if I can resolve it. Again Theo, thanks for your help.

Robert 
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 12:12am
Well that's too bad! Sorry to hear that.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 6:39am
I'm not familiar with the 900, but I have had a JPI 700 working with my IFDs for over 5 years without any issue. I would be very surprised if JPI changed their config parameters from the 900 to the 700, but stranger things have happened. Here is the correct configuration when connecting a JPI 700/800 to an IFD. This is from JPI and it works for the IFD just like the GNS with GPS-C=6 and IFD RS232 serial in as Shadin-FADEC. The Avidyne AUX Fuel Management screen is fully populated and updated. I use it on every flight when leaning and recording remaining fuel on shutdown. What is your setting on the JPI 900? The 900 UG has a table on p53 showing the same GPS-C values as below, so they should still work. Since the 900 wiring is different than the 700/800, I suggest you look for the problem on the JPI side rather than the Avidyne side.

Vince
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I'm not familiar with the 900, but I have had a JPI 700 working with my IFDs for over 5 years without any issue. I would be very surprised if JPI changed their config parameters from the 900 to the 700, but stranger things have happened. Here is the correct configuration when connecting a JPI 700/800 to an IFD. This is from JPI and it works for the IFD just like the GNS with GPS-C=6 and IFD RS232 serial in as Shadin-FADEC. The Avidyne AUX Fuel Management screen is fully populated and updated. I use it on every flight when leaning and recording remaining fuel on shutdown. What is your setting on the JPI 900? The 900 UG has a table on p53 showing the same GPS-C values as below, so they should still work. Since the 900 wiring is different than the 700/800, I suggest you look for the problem on the JPI side rather than the Avidyne side.
I too have had a JPI EDM-700 connected to my IFD540 for 5+ years with no issues. My IFD540 RS-232 settings are a slightly different and match the latest IFD installation manual I have access to (revision 17). My IFD540 RS-232 input from the EDM-700 is set to Shadin-fuel. My IFD540 RS-232 GPS output to the EDM-700 is set to Aviation.

My EDM-700 is set to a GPS-C=7 value. According to the EDM-700 Pilot’s Guide, a GPS-C value of 6 or 7 should be used for connection to a Garmin 430 or 530 (IFD). A GPS-C=6 is advertised to send “to waypoint” fuel data to the IFD; a GPS-C=7 is advertised to send destination fuel data to the IFD. I don’t think either value matters to what fuel information is ultimately displayed on the IFD.

I know with a GPS-C=7, my EDM-700 displays destination fuel required (REQ) and reserves (RSV). I’m curious if the EDM-700 displays the same with a GPS-C=6 or if the EDM-700 displays the GPS next waypoint (GPS WPT) fuel required and reserves?

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 12:19pm
While I'm not familiar with EDM-900, the GPS setup information in the EDM-900 Pilot's Guide appears identical to the GPS setup information in the EDM-700 Pilot's Guide. 

The JPI site has some information on the difference between Shadin-fuel and Shadin-FADC formats.

Shadin-fuel gives fuel remaining, fuel used, and fuel flow data to the GPS.
Shadin-FADC gives fuel remaining, fuel used, fuel flow, and outside air temperature data (if the EDM is equipped with an OAT probe). 

My take:

If the EDM is equipped with an OAT probe, use Shadin-FADC to include the OAT data to the IFD.

If the EDM is not equipped with an OAT probe or passing OAT data to the IFD is not desired, use Shadin-fuel.

Edited by dmtidler - 16 Aug 2021 at 12:58pm
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 9:16pm
Thanks Vince and Darren. I’ll get the 900 installation guide to my avionics shop after I talk to the A&P who installed it to verify there were no errors that JPI tech support corrected over the phone. (There were several.) My 900 does have an OAT sensor so the Shadin-FADC is already set. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Robert 
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 8:01am
I went to the airport yesterday hoping (convinced!) that changing the GPS-C setting in the EDM 900 from default to #6 would solve the data transfer issue. Wrong! Turns out the 900 had already been set to #6. I looked thru the config tab in maintenance mode on the 540 to see if I could find other settings that were incorrect (as if I would know) but didn’t see any obvious errors. Guess I need to find a way to verify the EDM 900 is putting out the data and both the 900 and the 540 plugs are pinned correctly. What a royal pain! So much for technology making life easier! ;-)
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 10:24am
Just making an "assumption", you did notify the folks at JPI, that you were installing the CIES system, so that they could make the software changes, correct?

Edited by nrproces - 20 Aug 2021 at 10:24am
Sauce
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 6:30pm
Chris,

Thanks for the “assumption.” I did notify them about the CÍES system and the fuel flow numbers and quantity in each tank (C-172) are very accurate on the EDM 900. I also have to assume they made the necessary software changes. At this point, I’m hoping it’s a wiring harness issue with incorrect pinning. My manifold pressure connector came apart in my A&P’s hand and I’m wondering if there is a similar issue here. Hopefully, there is a way to check if the I/O data is there.

Robert
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:50am
Problem solved! The wires for the GPS coming from the edm900 plug are labeled “GPS in and GPS out.” My avionics guy assumed, since it wasn’t clarified in the installation instructions, that they were “in” to the 540 and “out” from the 540. Wrong! It is into and out of the edm900 from the GPS. He switched the pins and all is working as it should, finally! Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and support.

Robert
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm
Thanks for letting us know Robert…. a lot of investigation leading to a simple solution! Confirms that it pays to check the fundamental basics first before looking for a complicated problem.
Vince
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:29pm
I have the exact same problem.  Passing this info along to my avionics shop.  Hope it fixes it.  Thanks for the info.

Yoram
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic