Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

G5 altitude data to IFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G5 altitude data to IFD
    Posted: 13 May 2021 at 2:34pm
I've read through a few of the Garmin G5/IFD threads but I'm still a bit confused as to what data gets transferred between the two.  I have an apx322 transponder which gets its altitude data from my IFD540, which in turn gets altitude data from a standalone encoder. Can the G5 provide that altitude data instead?

In other words, can I use the G5 as an encoder?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 2:48pm
Yes it can via the GAD29B
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:06pm
I'm not sure that the G5 can be used as a substitute for an encoder. It is my understanding that an encoder supplies only pressure altitude to the IFD. As far as I can tell, the G5 only provides altitude corrected for the G5 altimeter setting (Baro Altitude) to the IFD through the GAD29B. 

While not conclusive, my main reasoning for this is that my aircraft's IFD Air Data Calculator shows the G5 indicated ALT, CAS, HDG, and OAT automatically on the IFD; however, the G5 altimeter setting (BARO) is not passed to the IFD. In order to get an accurate TAS, Density ALT, and winds calculation from the IFD that closely matches the G5 calculated TAS, Density ALT, and winds, the Air Data Calculator BARO has to be manually set to the local altimeter setting. If pressure altitude were automatically supplied from the G5 (or the encoder) and used in the Air Data Calculator instead of G5 BARO Altitude, then it would not be necessary to manually change the BARO setting from 29.92 to get the most accurate calculation.   

Maybe Steve can expand on this.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:49pm
There was a recent (nov 2020 I think) firmware release that updated the GAD29B data to include some additional fields missing from earlier versions.  I know this because my TAS620 now has heading information and we removed the altitude encoder for my AXP340 transponder.
Rallylancer122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

There was a recent (nov 2020 I think) firmware release that updated the GAD29B data to include some additional fields missing from earlier versions.  I know this because my TAS620 now has heading information and we removed the altitude encoder for my AXP340 transponder.

Excellent.   Is there any guidance or manual coverage from Garmin or Avidyne on this?  Or is it just something that happens to work?

It dawned on me last night that the G5 is not TSO'd, so I'm thinking it might not be legal as an altitude source for mode C and ADS-B.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 5:59pm
FWIW, I did some more research on this, including actually reading the axp322 manual (I know, who wastes time reading the manuals...).  Turns out that the IFD  will take the "highest quality" air data source and transmit that on to the transponder.  It ranks an efis (which it considers the g5 to be) higher than an encoder.   Since the IFD manual approves the g5 as an air data source,  I would assume that approves it as an altitude source for transponder also.  If I were to wire in an encoder, it would just ignore it anyway. 
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:36pm
Good job reading the manual! All sorts of nuggets there! ;-)
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Rallylancer122 Rallylancer122 wrote:

FWIW, I did some more research on this, including actually reading the axp322 manual (I know, who wastes time reading the manuals...).  Turns out that the IFD  will take the "highest quality" air data source and transmit that on to the transponder.  It ranks an efis (which it considers the g5 to be) higher than an encoder.   Since the IFD manual approves the g5 as an air data source,  I would assume that approves it as an altitude source for transponder also.  If I were to wire in an encoder, it would just ignore it anyway. 

So is an encoder then still needed at all in that config? If so, what would be its purpose? Purely regulatory?
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

So is an encoder then still needed at all in that config? If so, what would be its purpose? Purely regulatory?

In my opinion,  no.  The 540/g5 interface and the 540/322 interface are both approved in the same manual.  That's sometimes a slippery slope,  but it's at least defensible.  If the next owner or the FAA disagrees, add an encoder (I'm leaving the wires in.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic